Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW GTi vs Civic Si

Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Mar 3 2006, 08:04 PM

The fact that I haven't seen a single GTi in my area leads me to believe that they're pulling these figures out of their ass.

So just because YOU havent seen one Gti you automatically conclude Edmund's figures to be inaccurate? You're kidding right? And you're the one asking me where I get my facts from??

This is how Edmunds get their True Market Value:

Edmunds.com's staff of statisticians, researchers, programmers and pricing managers spent almost a year in the initial development of TMV pricing for new vehicles and work continuously to refine and improve it. The TMV price takes into account a number of factors, including the vehicle's invoice price, its manufacturer's suggested retail price, the current supply and demand for the vehicle, the vehicle's relative brand strength and actual transaction price data. We then utilize a complex proprietary formula that combines these factors. We also take into account any current manufacturer-to-dealer incentives for the vehicle, which will result in a lower TMV.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM

I'd worry about VW's reputation for bad quality. I'd also worry about where I'd get a VW fixed. I'd be passing 3 Honda dealers (and 2 or 3 dealers for most other brands) to get to my nearest VW dealer. And it's tiny. If it ever went under I'm not sure how far I'd need to go for warranty repairs, but I'm sure it's farther than I want to go.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 3 2006, 02:01 PM
I think both are cool. Good, quick cars. I just don't really like the VW's looks. I think the Si looks much better, but maybe the turbo will outweigh that factor
I on the other loves the way the new gti looks and thinks the si fugly, like a boxer being awkward. It performs but look awkward.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 PM

DSG is amazing!! the styling on both cars is a bit odd but both are starting to grow on me, the GTI will mod very easily and quite well, for 5K more I'd take it but now over my current GTI
Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i've read a ton of great reviews on the DSG...but i'd take a traditional manual tranny over it any day just me though.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:24 AM

I was offered $100 under invoice on the first email reply... sheesh. VW was also offering 3.9% for 60 mo/4.9% for 72.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:31 AM

actually VW was rated at the bottom 5 for reliability and problems, was it the latest consumer reports?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:42 AM

As far as the GTi vs. Si debate I think it depends on what kind of driving experience you are after since the cars are so very evenly matched according to the numbers. As a MKV R32 owner I'd obviously favour the GTi over the Si as a daily driver for it's more linear and flexible powerband and it's more straightforward and better designed interior but at the same time I imagine that the Si would be more fun to thrash hard (based on a short blast in a Civic Type R awhile back).

In the end it's basically Coke vs. Pepsi with these two cars.

Also, I have found out the hard way that whole "VW quality" thing can be pretty random. The DSG in my brand new MkV R32 had to be replaced after only 900 kms and the thing has been in the shop for 3 weeks so far! And I've only driven it for 6 days so far!

Doubt I would have experienced anything like that if I had bought an S2k like I originally intended!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Mar 4 2006, 09:31 AM
actually VW was rated at the bottom 5 for reliability and problems, was it the latest consumer reports?
yes it was, not one model recommended.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Christople,Mar 2 2006, 11:45 PM
I think the Si will because of the price.

GTI is a better car for a daily driver imo.

Civic SI is just an RSX-S with LSD imo.
IMO, you never drove an RSXS and an 06Si back to back on the track.....

06Si is superior to the RSXS performance wise..

thanks

Quick Reply: VW GTi vs Civic Si