Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW GTi vs Civic Si

Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rai,Mar 3 2006, 06:32 AM] The Si weighs 300 lbs less (this with a DSG tranny for the GTI).

They have about the same HP 197 v 200 (GTI)

But the TQ is much better for the GTI
139-TQ @6200 rpm (Si) vs 207-TQ @1800-5000 rpm (GTI).

They're about the same up to 90 mph, but the Si actually was quicker after that.

R&T said the SI has only a small powerband like 6k-8k.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by corey415,Mar 3 2006, 08:42 AM
Just because a dealer has a "market adjustment" on the window sticker doesnt mean you have to pay for it. In fact, only a sucker would. The Honda dealer that my parents bought their 05 CR-V SE did the same crap (the window sticker had a 2k market adjustment above MSRP). They ended paying 200 above invoice. They went to http://www.carsdirect.com to get an accurate gauge of what they really should be paying, not what the dealer wanted them to pay.

So its just dealer hype.
Yes, but the fact that the market adjustment is on there means that you have to negotiate that amount out of the purchase price which increases the amount of time you have to spend in the showroom, talking to your salesman.

The fact that only a small percentage of people would pay this adjustment does not make it right. They're preying on the old, weak and uninformed. It's not hype, it's disgusting.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by duboseq,Mar 3 2006, 10:04 AM
I would probably go with the SI because of the maintainance factor.

Less $$ IMO
The VW has lower maintenance costs due to it's longer warranty.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM

I think they are both fantastic cars that will do what they oughtta for their respective makers. Both in terms of sales and positive attention for the brand. Both of them are big steps up from their predecessors. And one thing I think is cool, both should be available with four doors soon. I think they both look great, especially the GTI.

From the driver's seat, I'd expect them to have a different character, but I'd imagine both are fun. I drove a new Jetta with the 2.0T engine, and it was amazingly ballsy considering the Jetta weighs yet a couple hundred pounds more than the GTI.

Peter
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 AM

I think both are cool. Good, quick cars. I just don't really like the VW's looks. I think the Si looks much better, but maybe the turbo will outweigh that factor

I've seen a few of the new Si's but have yet to see the new GTI on the street. Maybe its because I wasn't really looking for em, but whatever.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by corey415,Mar 3 2006, 08:32 AM
Of course pricing depends on the area that you are buying, but looking at the national base prices the Civic Si sells @ MSRP whereas the GTI sells below MSRP.

Base GTI:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/volkswagen...s.html?action=2

Base SI:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/civi...s.html?action=2

Where I live (Bay Area) the Civic Si sells for 2k above msrp whereas the GTI sells around 1k below MSRP. I used http://www.carsdirect.com to get the pricing for my area code. I find that site to be pretty accurate (within a few hundred bucks or so).
Where I live Edmunds states that the Civic sells for MSRP and the GTi for 700 under MSRP.

The fact that I haven't seen a single GTi in my area leads me to believe that they're pulling these figures out of their ass.

I haven't looked at the carsdirect site. I will do that tonight.

One thing that you have to bear in mind is that Honda is ramping up production of the Civic in Canada and thus supply is limited. VW has been making the GTi for over a year in Europe (where the new GTi is made), and thus they have all the production capacity they need to be able to fulfill demand.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Mar 3 2006, 07:50 PM
Yes, but the fact that the market adjustment is on there means that you have to negotiate that amount out of the purchase price which increases the amount of time you have to spend in the showroom, talking to your salesman.

The fact that only a small percentage of people would pay this adjustment does not make it right. They're preying on the old, weak and uninformed. It's not hype, it's disgusting.
Nowadays, the easiest and least painful way to negotiate is through email. Ask for a quote, and if you dont like the price tell them you're shopping elsewhere. It's as simple as that.

I really dont feel sorry for the suckers who pay the "market adjustment". It's their fault they didn't do the proper research for buying a car. If they are too inept to do this maybe they should get a Saturn or a Scion with one price for all.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure which will sell more. My guts tell me the GTI will outsell the SI. I don't know if they're limiting the supply of either.

The GTI can be had with heated seats and auto tranny. The Si does not have either. Some people won't but a MT car and my wife won't even look at a car w/o heated seats.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by PoweredByCamry,Mar 3 2006, 02:57 PM
And one thing I think is cool, both should be available with four doors soon.
That's the most depressing sentence I've read all week.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by elmmx5,Mar 3 2006, 02:35 PM
That's the most depressing sentence I've read all week.
Four door Civic Si = poor man's TSX

I am ok with that.

Quick Reply: VW GTi vs Civic Si