Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW caught cheating on diesel emissions

Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I just read the most bizarre thing yet. VW was notified by the EPA in may 2014 and told to fix it. They created a software patch and gave it to them. That software still had the switch, and still failed real world testing. So when given an opportunity to remove the cheat, they apparently left it in there...
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is my prediction: This will serve as the catalyst for the EPA conducting all future testing. The way it currently works is the EPA more or less tells the manufacturers how to test their cars and then the manufacturers report back to the EPA with their findings. Can you imagine how easy it will be for some congressman to propose a bill that changes the way this testing process works? I see it going that way, with the EPA assuming the testing responsibilities the same way that NHTSA does the crash testing.

While I strongly suspect that this will result in more accurate testing and will be better for consumers, I'm always reluctant to hand another responsibility to the federal government.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:09 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't think that will actually happen because there is no way the EPA would be able to manage that work load, and I really doubt it would be funded even if it was proposed.

In other news, I heard that the EPA suspects other carmakers of doing similar things, so is going to be looking closer at all makes now.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
More to the point, is any owner going to want their car "fixed", especially if it means worse mileage? If I had a diesel and bought it for its mileage (not many other good reasons to buy it, otherwise), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want someone monkeying with it to make it get less efficient...

I think the $18B fine is just the start of the financial impact for VW. What about a class action lawsuit from owners that will, in all probability, see their fuel economy drop? 500K owners that want a refund or compensation for future loss of efficiency is going to add up in a big hurry as well.
In most cases I don't think the owner has a choice. Their cars are technically not street legal. In states that mandate yearly emissions testing these cars won't pass without the recall/fix. Without the fix owners can't renew their registration. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these cars were sold in CA and you know CARB isn't gonna back down on this one.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Any new diesel pickup that's spewing big clouds of smoke is not stock.
Yep. My RAM EcoDiesel doesn't put out any smoke, but it has tons of systems in place like diesel particulate filters and diesel exhaust fluid injection to keep it a clean diesel. I know if I removed all that shit and flashed the ECU to roll coal I would be getting over 30 MPG.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I don't think that will actually happen because there is no way the EPA would be able to manage that work load, and I really doubt it would be funded even if it was proposed.
Funding won't be a problem. If you do it right, automakes pay a fee to have a car certified, which covers the cost of the testing.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm no tree hugger, but VW ought to be nailed to the cross for this sort of behavior. It's one thing to make a mistake, or even negligence, but outright fraud/lying ought to result in some VERY serious fines and punishments. I can't even believe a large automaker would have the gall to do something like this, program in a direct cheat to pass emissions. Talk about f'ing stupid. This reflects incredibly poorly on the company as a whole.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

It's more egregious if they were given the opportunity to correct it and chose to once again try and cheat. I haven't heard that - a link to confirm it would be nice.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

VW has also now stated that the affected vehicles are 11 million world wide!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...ndal.html?_r=1

They've set aside $7.3B to fix the problem. Shares are down another 20% today.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
I'm no tree hugger, but VW ought to be nailed to the cross for this sort of behavior. It's one thing to make a mistake, or even negligence, but outright fraud/lying ought to result in some VERY serious fines and punishments. I can't even believe a large automaker would have the gall to do something like this, program in a direct cheat to pass emissions. Talk about f'ing stupid. This reflects incredibly poorly on the company as a whole.
I doubt they will. I'm sure they'll have to pay something substantial, but they'll get a walk just like GM did.

Quick Reply: VW caught cheating on diesel emissions