Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW Board votes to ax Cayene and Panamera

Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but it sounds to me like a bit of retribution. Mess with the bull get the horns.

By axing Porsche's most profitable vehicle they are ensuring Porsche won't have the means to recover financially. It's always about money. The product overlap argument is weak. You simply don't walk away from profit.

The Panamera is just ugly and a waste of resources. That was a mercy kill.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

I think this is a good direction for Porsche. As much as it was cool that they were so successful as an independent company, having VW as a parent company will allow them to return to their roots, making only sports cars. As for an entry-level Porsche, the collaboration with VW on the 914 and the 924/944 worked out pretty well, I would say. The upmarket shift of particular models often leads to room for an entry-level car, ala BMW 1-series.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

It makes a lot more sense for porsche to offer an affordable sportscar vs. an upscale luxury sedan or SUV. All three could dilute the brand, but the suv and sedan will dilute its heritage whereas the cheap sportscar will dilute its exclusivity.
I bet that the entry level sportscar will probably be shared somewhere in the VW or Audi range since audi still doesn't have a true Z4/SLK fighter aside from the TT which doesn't exactly compete directly for the same customers.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Sep 1 2009, 11:48 AM
The Cayenne and Panamera are expected to finish their current life cycles with production ceasing sometime in 2016.
That is a LONG time from now. A lot can change between now and then. Until then, this article is really meaningless.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nin009,Sep 1 2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but it sounds to me like a bit of retribution. Mess with the bull get the horns.

By axing Porsche's most profitable vehicle they are ensuring Porsche won't have the means to recover financially. It's always about money. The product overlap argument is weak. You simply don't walk away from profit.

The Panamera is just ugly and a waste of resources. That was a mercy kill.
I think it's a good long term idea. Consider all the people who said GM was cannibalizing their own sales buy having Pontiac compete with Chevy etc. How is this different? Does it really make sense to have Audi, VW and Porsche all selling the same SUV? What ends up happening is Audi has to compete with Porsche which is often sold out of the same show room or just across the street. Instead why not just keep those sales with Audi? Yes, it will me less total volume but if the average selling price is good, why not.

Also, I don't think the Porsche SUV remained a profit center. I think over time it dropped in profit to the point where it really wasn't helping.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Sep 1 2009, 02:44 PM
That is a LONG time from now. A lot can change between now and then. Until then, this article is really meaningless.
True, but it also takes a very long time to design a replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the new model hits the market, the research and discussions begin soon after on its replacement.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds good to me.
Porsche have lost their way, developing ever bigger/heavier NON sports cars. Pity it's taken VW to put them back on the straight and narrow.

Here's to future Porsches that are more Lotus Elise than S-class Mercedes (or bloated SUV).
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Sep 1 2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds good to me.
Porsche have lost their way, developing ever bigger/heavier NON sports cars. Pity it's taken VW to put them back on the straight and narrow.

Here's to future Porsches that are more Lotus Elise than S-class Mercedes (or bloated SUV).
So you're telling me the Boxster, Cayman, and all the 911 variants have suffered because Porsche built a SUV and a sedan? This is pretty narrow minded thinking. The SUV was built with the express purpose as giving Porsche another revenue stream so they could keep building limited 911s (at least that's how I read the story).

And that Panamera may not be beautiful (and I'll wait for my final eval until I see one in person), but as a person with 2 boys under 3, I can see me in one of those in a few years before I see myself in a 911. So the Panamera has some purpose, but I can see why VW would kill it.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw damn! I hate VWs and anything related to VW Group. Their cars SUCK!

Guess I'll be picking up a used P car years down the road.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by erik,Sep 1 2009, 05:05 PM
So you're telling me the Boxster, Cayman, and all the 911 variants have suffered because Porsche built a SUV and a sedan?
The less experience they have with designing/engineering smaller/lighter-weight cars, the worse they will be at it.

The SUV was built with the express purpose as giving Porsche another revenue stream so they could keep building limited 911s (at least that's how I read the story).
Engineering efforts on bloated luxury sedans and sport utilities could have been expended on product more true to Porsche's roots.

[QUOTE]And that Panamera may not be beautiful (and I'll wait for my final eval until I see one in person), but as a person with 2 boys under 3, I can see me in one of those in a few years before I see myself in a 911.

Quick Reply: VW Board votes to ax Cayene and Panamera