Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Volvo S60R

Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nalVle,Feb 17 2007, 08:17 AM
you dont think people say "racing hondas? hahaha" when they talk about us?
-Chris
What the hell is wrong with saying "racing Hondas"? Honda is one of the FEW companies with extensive racing heritage. Volvo is NOT! Honda is involved in a variety of racing venues and has had production sports cars. It is also the biggest motorcycles maker on the planet that makes racing motorcycles as well. Honda also makes racing boats. Volvo is none of those! Honda now is also involved in making planes and robots and other products.

Volvo is all about making family cars. Only an IDIOT would think it's funny to say "racing Hondas" because his brain is ignorant as a rat's ass. So remember to think a bit deeper before making such a comment, huh? Very FEW (well, none really) have a racing heritage as extensive as Honda company (think racing autos, motorcycles, boats, etc.).

Them ignorant "rednecks"!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDSMJ,Feb 16 2007, 10:02 PM
A friend of a friend has a Volvo S60R. I'm not sure of the year, it's newer obviously. Anyway, he is convinced it'd completely decimate my stock MY01, both from a roll, and a dig. With the Volvo being AWD, I'm sure it'd leave me considerably far behind from a stop, but would it completely decimate me as he say's it will? I told him the S2000 is not built for straight line performance, but it'd probably be a close call.

It appears as if the Volvo boasts about 300hp/296tq. in stock trim, which is how his car sits. It also has a short throw 6 speed gear box, and adjustable suspension.

Has anyone ever had any experience with these cars? They appear to weigh a lot, so I doubt that 300hp/295tq. carries it very far. According to this kid, they are supposed to go 14.2ish @ 90 something. I mean, I've been 14.10 @ 99 on an unprepped track.

So what do you think? Would it destroy a MY01, and has anyone every had the chance to toy with one of these elderly folk cars?
Why don't you run him for fun instead of asking for opinions on here? Win or lose, why be so afraid? If you'll win, you'll win by a little; likewise if you'll lose. You even state what he has said about his car's time being 14.2. Why didn't you just say, "Well, my car can run 14.0. Let's go have a fun run.", instead of running on here and acting like you're so scared? If you're so convinced he will not decimate you, then prove him wrong. In reality, it'll be close.

Remember, anything can be fast if it has enough power. Put enough power into a tank and it'll be fast.

Also, always be in Vtec range, even from a roll. That means choosing gear carefully.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=kumainu,Feb 17 2007, 01:45 PM]What the hell is wrong with saying "racing Hondas"?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:32 PM

I have both an S60R and a stooker, but I've never raced myself. I would say the stooker is faster in the dry in straighline, the s60r faster in the wet and in top speed.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hyun83,Feb 17 2007, 10:16 AM
racing volvos? haha
Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by hyun83,Feb 17 2007, 10:16 AM
racing volvos? haha
Racing fast Volvos.

Fast is fast, regardless of brand. And Volvo sometimes makes fast cars.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 17 2007, 10:25 PM
You totally missed his point, and in the process totally made it. Volvo has a significant racing heritage as well, only their focus is more in touring cars and rallying. nalVle's point is that people who are ignorant of Honda's history are likely to scoff at their performance pedigree and performance cars, just as you are ignorant of Volvo's history and scoffed at their performance pedigree and performance cars.

Brand bigotry sucks.
thank you - thats exactly what i was trying to say - and i love how he PROVED my point through his ignorance of volvo's history.

kumainu - its ok; knowledge comes with experience. and you havent been here long. take your own advice and "...remember to think a bit deeper before making such a comment, huh?"
-Chris
Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great machine. Scary to think they can embarrase a lot of cars out there.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 17 2007, 07:25 PM
Volvo has a significant racing heritage as well,
Significant racing heritage, my arse! Rare participation does not equal significant. Volvo has as much of a racing heritage as Hyundai, which is to say not a lot. However, the point was, Honda is the only one with EXTENSIVE racing venues and heritage. In addition, it has had produced sports cars, Volvo has not. In conclusion, one would be an extreme idiot not to know of Honda's association with racing (and sports cars) and to scoff at its brand. Reversely, it's much, much, much less idiotic to scoff at Volvo because its racing heritage is barely existent and it has never produced a sports car, so it's ok to scoff at them. As said, put enough power into a tank and it'll be fast. Nothing special there!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by nalVle,Feb 18 2007, 10:00 AM
volvo's history.

Puhlease!!!

Quick Reply: Volvo S60R