Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Viper ACR breaks Laguna Production Car Record

Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody is hating on the ACR; most even say it's very fast and badass. What people are saying is that from the reviews they've read, the car is not very streetable because of its very hardcore characters. For the track, this is one of the fastest production cars you can buy.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Nov 25 2009, 10:07 AM
LOL, the american hate runs so rampid in this forum it's terriable!

Have any of you actually driven a ferrari before? My father's friend owned a few and not one them could I even put my shoe under the car it was so low...yet he drove it day to day in New frickin Jersey home of some of the worst roads without any issues. I guarentee a ferrari wouldn't clear a speed bump any more then this car would. Regardless of that, it passed all DOT regulations so hate all you want, it's a STREET LEGAL PRODUCTION car -- end of story.

So a supercar / exotic that have all this RACING heritage behind them (plus about 5 times the price) cannot be compared to some pos american car because it to was designed to be raced? LOL LOL LOL.

A lot of US legal road tires are not legal in canada so that's a moot point. However, I sense some hate in your blood becuase this car is faster then whatever pos your driving.

I'm pretty sure customizing your customizable factory suspension would not destroy your warranty

Jeus guys give me a break. Give credit where credit is due of GTFO. The american hate runs deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
stfu and calm down for a sec. You talk like a teen who can barely spell correctly.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 03:49 PM
there are tons of Z06's with a lot more power than stock and some really serious upgrades and the drivetrain holds up superbly, I think maybe you don't give that car enough credit.

Same thing of a non ACR Viper, the cars are amazingly solid and would stand up to the abuses of track driving very well.
But in the event it doesn't, you're not covered by warranty. That's what sets this car apart. You get a fully warrantied, street legal track beast right off the showroom floor.

The Vettes are very well built, mechanically. You just can't necessarily fully exploit them without shooting yourself in the foot in terms of the manufacturer standing behind the car when you do break it.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 03:47 PM
Thats cool, I didn't know Dodge had this thing warrantied for track use, I plead the 5th on my part.

I am not trying to grasp at straws with my other point....but if a Formula 1 car was road legal in Australia and someone claimed it was the worlds fastest production car you wouldn't buy one yourself would you? I am sorry you can't see why I just mentioned it....I wasn't really trying to put down the car, its seriously fast...just offering some unique perspective.
Absolutely, if I lived in Australia. I live in the USA so the Viper ACR is a perfectly legit car to discuss and compare with others.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 25 2009, 03:28 PM
Absolutely, if I lived in Australia. I live in the USA so the Viper ACR is a perfectly legit car to discuss and compare with others.
Yeah, that's kind of the point. It's a livable as a normal viper, the suspension is actually softer if you adjust it so. Some people consider the viper unlivable in normal form so the acr would be just as unlivable. But, if you could live with a viper you could live with an ACR.

Some of the times I have seen with hoosiers and real slicks are just down right incredible. The car is more then just a viper with wing and some adjustable suspension. The whole packaged was engineered to work well together and it does.

I guarantee if honda had done this with the S2000 and called it the CR (massive down force, adjustable shocks, etc) people would of been lapping it up and praising honda. The ACR is king of drivable/trackable vehicles available right now. Of course you would need to make compromises to live with it, but not that many more then you would with say an S2000.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 25 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure this is aimed at me or not but I was FOR the ACR, not against it. On the alternative car mentioned (Z06), the person would have to put on racing slicks, upgrade the suspension, and probably lose their powertrain warranty for "abuse" or "racing" if the dealership or manufacturer found out about it. And that would only get them close to the ACR - it wouldn't necessarily make it a complete match for the ACR.

Still, the ACR is not a streetable car for most people. It is a track only car that happens to be street legal and can be driven to and from track days. I guarantee no one daily drives it whereas some people do daily drive Ferraris and the like, especially since many come with fully adjustable suspensions (electronically adjustable) that can actually keep them pretty comfortable at the soft settings.

I'll also call BS on your "can't fit a shoe under a Ferrari" comment. That's blatantly false or else you're Paul Bunyan and couldn't fit your shoe under a Hummer, much less a Ferrari. The F430 has a relatively long overhang (Enzo is far worse) but the other thing is, cars that have a bad front clearance issue are often coming with automatic nose-raising suspensions (fully automatic from the cockpit) to help out in that area. Lamborghini has this as well. The Viper does not do that. That's not a bad thing, it's just a part of the Viper being more focused.
No not aimed at you but either way

Remember some argue the s2000 is not "streetable" either. Really, streetability is personal preference at best, thats why the only way to compare apples to apples is to base wether the car is street legal at not. And in that respect, yes the car is street legal and cannot be argued.

My shoe example had to do with his Ferrari Testarosa (sp?). No I could not even fit my shoe under that car and I was only about 8 years old at the time. Granted the newer ferraris are higher off the ground, they are still lower then your typical corvette / s2000 / whatever. I would bet they sit about as high as an ACR.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 25 2009, 02:36 PM
Anyone who has driven on Cup tires, not shaved especially knows they are nothing even close to real race tires.
Thank you. There is a HUGE difference between actual race tires and street legal "race" tires. It's honestly night and day difference -- don't think all this car's extra speed is from it's rubber. As mentioned, they revised the ENTIRE car to make it faster
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by flagella,Nov 25 2009, 06:10 PM
stfu and calm down for a sec. You talk like a teen who can barely spell correctly.
Teen? No.

Spelling isn't my specality (math and science are, both of which do not have spelling as a prereq) and never has been but thanks for pointing it out. Maybe I should add a disclaimer in my sig to say "I don't care about spelling and internet explorer doesn't spell check automatically anymore"

A few of the beginning posts sounded "hate" like, though I might have misinterperted them. If thats the case then my bad. However, everytime the viper comes up in car talk, the haters usually come out.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 25 2009, 02:54 PM
LOL WUT? If I had the means hell yeah I would buy it. Are yout trying to say it can't be the world's fastest car b/c it is only legal in Australia?
no....again I really just said it as an FYI, this was never meant to be a legitimate complaint about the car itself. just saying basically I could (if I had the money) buy an ACR and bring it to Canada but I would only be allowed to drive it on the track, technically not allowed to drive it on public roads here.

Just like you would be allowed to buy an old F1 car if you had the means but you would only be able to drive it on the track.

In any event I know this doesn't apply to my friends south of the border but this car is as illegal here as any other track only car.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 05:33 PM
no....again I really just said it as an FYI, this was never meant to be a legitimate complaint about the car itself. just saying basically I could (if I had the money) buy an ACR and bring it to Canada but I would only be allowed to drive it on the track, technically not allowed to drive it on public roads here.

Just like you would be allowed to buy an old F1 car if you had the means but you would only be able to drive it on the track.

In any event I know this doesn't apply to my friends south of the border but this car is as illegal here as any other track only car.
why is the acr illegal in canada? because it's delivered on pilot cup sports? what other reasons?

Quick Reply: Viper ACR breaks Laguna Production Car Record