Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Viper ACR breaks Laguna Production Car Record

Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Nov 25 2009, 12:07 PM
LOL, the american hate runs so rampid in this forum it's terriable!

Have any of you actually driven a ferrari before? My father's friend owned a few and not one them could I even put my shoe under the car it was so low...yet he drove it day to day in New frickin Jersey home of some of the worst roads without any issues. I guarentee a ferrari wouldn't clear a speed bump any more then this car would. Regardless of that, it passed all DOT regulations so hate all you want, it's a STREET LEGAL PRODUCTION car -- end of story.

So a supercar / exotic that have all this RACING heritage behind them (plus about 5 times the price) cannot be compared to some pos american car because it to was designed to be raced? LOL LOL LOL.

A lot of US legal road tires are not legal in canada so that's a moot point. However, I sense some hate in your blood becuase this car is faster then whatever pos your driving.

I'm pretty sure customizing your customizable factory suspension would not destroy your warranty

Jeus guys give me a break. Give credit where credit is due of GTFO. The american hate runs deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
I'm not sure this is aimed at me or not but I was FOR the ACR, not against it. On the alternative car mentioned (Z06), the person would have to put on racing slicks, upgrade the suspension, and probably lose their powertrain warranty for "abuse" or "racing" if the dealership or manufacturer found out about it. And that would only get them close to the ACR - it wouldn't necessarily make it a complete match for the ACR.

Still, the ACR is not a streetable car for most people. It is a track only car that happens to be street legal and can be driven to and from track days. I guarantee no one daily drives it whereas some people do daily drive Ferraris and the like, especially since many come with fully adjustable suspensions (electronically adjustable) that can actually keep them pretty comfortable at the soft settings.

I'll also call BS on your "can't fit a shoe under a Ferrari" comment. That's blatantly false or else you're Paul Bunyan and couldn't fit your shoe under a Hummer, much less a Ferrari. The F430 has a relatively long overhang (Enzo is far worse) but the other thing is, cars that have a bad front clearance issue are often coming with automatic nose-raising suspensions (fully automatic from the cockpit) to help out in that area. Lamborghini has this as well. The Viper does not do that. That's not a bad thing, it's just a part of the Viper being more focused.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One interesting thing about the 2010 is the top speed is now 202, which is pretty much a 'whatever', but it gets to 180 14 seconds quicker thanks to a revised 5th gear. They made it a lot shorter. It also beat it's time last year around laguna sec by over 1.5 secs. They were able to keep the downforce the same, but reduced drag quite a bit on redesigning parts of the rear wing.

Anyone who has driven on Cup tires, not shaved especially knows they are nothing even close to real race tires.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Respect.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 25 2009, 09:07 AM
...while destroying much of their factory warranty, not getting factory support for setup and adjustment, and not being street legal.
tr00f but as a mentioned, a Viper ACR is not road legal where I am from. and if you track the car, good luck getting broken shit replaced under warranty anyway. a car with different tires and coilovers still has a powertrain warranty.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 25 2009, 11:06 AM
you have no idea what you are talking about. spoken like someone who has never been on a track in their life.
please enlighten me....are you saying that a car with similar downforce and properly tuned suspension on real RACE tires wouldn't be able to compete with an ACR on significantly shittier R-compounds?

I do have experience on the track; if its your goal to just call me out please explain a little, post something with substance.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 03:37 PM
tr00f but as a mentioned, a Viper ACR is not road legal where I am from. and if you track the car, good luck getting broken shit replaced under warranty anyway. a car with different tires and coilovers still has a powertrain warranty.
It's not sold there then why are you arguing about it? C'mon - you're grasping at straws here.

A car that's obviously been tracked often will lose it's powertrain warranty, even if your mods were suspension/tire related. The Viper is made for it and will not lose its warranty for tracking.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 03:41 PM
please enlighten me....are you saying that a car with similar downforce and properly tuned suspension on real RACE tires wouldn't be able to compete with an ACR on significantly shittier R-compounds?

I do have experience on the track; if its your goal to just call me out please explain a little, post something with substance.
Viper ACR = built for the track in every regard

Corvette Z06 = built for the track with its production tires and suspension. While it may be (nearly) as fast with the better suspension, tires, etc, etc, it really isn't built to take it in the same way the Viper is. When you push it in one area, the others are going to ultimately suffer if you don't upgrade them as well.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Thats cool, I didn't know Dodge had this thing warrantied for track use, I plead the 5th on my part.

I am not trying to grasp at straws with my other point....but if a Formula 1 car was road legal in Australia and someone claimed it was the worlds fastest production car you wouldn't buy one yourself would you? I am sorry you can't see why I just mentioned it....I wasn't really trying to put down the car, its seriously fast...just offering some unique perspective.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM

there are tons of Z06's with a lot more power than stock and some really serious upgrades and the drivetrain holds up superbly, I think maybe you don't give that car enough credit.

Same thing of a non ACR Viper, the cars are amazingly solid and would stand up to the abuses of track driving very well.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 25 2009, 05:47 PM
but if a Formula 1 car was road legal in Australia and someone claimed it was the worlds fastest production car you wouldn't buy one yourself would you?
LOL WUT? If I had the means hell yeah I would buy it. Are yout trying to say it can't be the world's fastest car b/c it is only legal in Australia?

Quick Reply: Viper ACR breaks Laguna Production Car Record