Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Video: Top Gear Corvette Z06 review

Old 05-18-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,May 16 2006, 12:02 AM
The Stig does do practice laps, on some of the older episodes they even show him spinning out during his practice laps, matter in fact I think they showed it with the Koenfudshugvnadjgfdkjhig CCX.
Also, I personally think the Stig is Tiff Needel from 5th Gear, but this isn't based off of anything, just my speculation.
I dono.. .if I remember correctly, I saw an episode with him driving the McLaren F1.. it was the scariest driving I had ever seen. The car he jerked the steering wheel in the corners was a bit strange.

Strangely enough, its the only time I've seen him do it.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:16 AM

Tiff? When he drives most of the cars, he does it for the effect. Lays down some big smokey slides and some stripes on corner exit. This is helped by some jerky steering and throttle inputs. Tiff is certainly a well-accomplished driver and when he's driving fast, I'm sure its anything but jerky. Quick, no doubt, but jerky steering inputs don't last long in any of the Formula cars he's raced.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,May 19 2006, 02:54 AM
See, here's the deal. Someone with actual ownership experience with the car has a much better idea of how the car behaves as a daily driver than a self-important blowhard who pontificates for an audience who can't afford the majority of the cars he spouts about anyway. And an owner of more than one Vette might have some insight about the car that you can't glean from the British entertainment industry. But then, you are apparently the expert, knowing all about every aspect of the car after watching a TV show :/
Ok, that's GD'ed funny!

I do know a thing or two about Corvettes, both through actual experience and via the Corvetteforum. I really don't consider myself biased at all, despite the fact that I own two of them- it just happened that way. If a superior car is being discussed, I'll happily recommend it, despite owning two Corvettes. I'm a car guy- plain and simple.

No_really brings up a valid point, though. I DO have more Corvette experience than most of the people here (aside from a few people like QuickAG who's had a C5 Z06 and now has an S2k). So when I hear people repeating crap in online forums that they heard on TG, it compels me to clarify the truth.

For example: in the initial C6 review, they griped about how heavy the clutch is and how impossibly hard it is to shift gears. It's absurd. The C6 clutch is nearly as light as the S2k's and lighter than my GF's Scion tC. Had they been complaining about the C4 clutch, I would have wholeheartely agreed (it's pretty GD'ed heavy). While the shifter is certainly not as slick as the S2k, it's NOT difficult to shift at all.

So when I hear TG whine about "tire noise", claim that the suspension is antiquated and pathetic, and claim that the car is not suited for road use, I have to ask myself: "Who actually believes this crap?" Appearantly, quite a few people on mostly import forums who have no other point of reference beyond the one they hear on TG.

Which is partly why I post here: to correct obvious inaccuracies.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

You know what? If Clarkson complains about the Z06 being a crappy daily driver with horrible suspension, horrendous tire noise, broom stick through a box of rocks shifter, then maybe less people will want one?

I sure hope so because after actually having driven and ridden in a C6 Z06, I want one bad. Also, it drove very smoothly when I was just loafing down the road....the whole 30 seconds I drove it gently.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicksilver,May 16 2006, 11:01 PM
All in all I found that a balanced and informative review. Much better than the crap on Speed where all they do is praise every car they drive.
Yeah those are really infomercials, not reviews.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,May 21 2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah those are really infomercials, not reviews.
versus Top Gear, where they make up things to knock :/ I guess you'd call what Clarkson and buddies do, "misinfomercials."
Old 05-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Car be fast.

I like his comparison between a Z06 and Robbie Williams. . . "I'm lovin' GM instead."