Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Video: me in C6 chasing 996 GT3

Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 28 2008, 05:42 PM
No, it's not the camera. It's basically a straight exhaust and it's very, very loud and doesn't sound overly good IMO. I think it's for weight and power over sound though.

I was pacing him and enjoying following him. If I really wanted to get by, I would have downshifted to 2nd gear in a few corners to power out harder.
I did notice you weren't downshifting as much as he was. Gotta love the tractability of the LSx engines...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 28 2008, 05:42 PM
I was pacing him and enjoying following him. If I really wanted to get by, I would have downshifted to 2nd gear in a few corners to power out harder.
I thought that might have been the case. You were pushing but you weren't working really hard at keeping up. You're smooth, real smooth. I enjoyed watching that.

BTW, I've never run at those speeds with traffic unless I was wearing full nomex.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 28 2008, 03:42 PM
No, it's not the camera. It's basically a straight exhaust and it's very, very loud and doesn't sound overly good IMO. I think it's for weight and power over sound though.

i'm seriously asking, not breaking your balls or covertly proclaiming the 996 gt3 to be the greatest car ever, but do you really think you could have passed him with a few downshifts? again, serious question not trying to sound like a jerk.

im inexperienced but your car seemed to behave very similarly to my miata (dont laugh i have a boosted miata and it gets tail happy on corner exits) which i remedy by not getting all of the way on it. if you had more traction to go with your power i dont doubt you could pass the guy, but it seems like all a down shift would have done for you would have given you more of a workout trying to keep it from getting loose.

please correct me if you feel im wrong. i'm just being an arm chair andretti. :-)

also, you were really killing him in the braking department. do you think your vette out brakes his 911 or do you think you out break him as a driver?

thanks for the vid. looks like fun.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CG,Jul 28 2008, 06:45 PM
I thought that might have been the case. You were pushing but you weren't working really hard at keeping up. You're smooth, real smooth. I enjoyed watching that.

BTW, I've never run at those speeds with traffic unless I was wearing full nomex.
you're the phantom porsche driver? lol
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 28 2008, 06:48 PM
i'm seriously asking, not breaking your balls or covertly proclaiming the 996 gt3 to be the greatest car ever, but do you really think you could have passed him with a few downshifts? again, serious question not trying to sound like a jerk.

im inexperienced but your car seemed to behave very similarly to my miata (dont laugh i have a boosted miata and it gets tail happy on corner exits) which i remedy by not getting all of the way on it. if you had more traction to go with your power i dont doubt you could pass the guy, but it seems like all a down shift would have done for you would have given you more of a workout trying to keep it from getting loose.

please correct me if you feel im wrong. i'm just being an arm chair andretti. :-)

also, you were really killing him in the braking department. do you think your vette out brakes his 911 or do you think you out break him as a driver?

thanks for the vid. looks like fun.
You make some good points. It is possible the downshifts wouldn't have helped too much which is probably the reason I didn't go to 2nd in most corners because it would just of been an exercise in throttle control and oversteer correction.

We were very, very close in lap times in that session, so I think it would have been a toss-up on who would win in an actual race. Gerry runs wheel-to-wheel in a race S2000, so he obviously has that experience and he's a great driver. It would be fun either way. My car in this video only had the most basic of tunes with my I/H/E, so it was running extremely rich (in the 10's A/F). I have sinced gotten a good tune on it and it feels much stronger, especially at the top end. My R888's are more scrubbed in now (they were off the shelf new in this video), so it would definitely give me more of an advantage now.

I'm thinking about adding a Z06 oil cooler (twice as big as the stock one in my '08 Coupe) and possibly 4.10 gears. The 3rd and 4th gears are too broad IMO and 2nd is too short, so it doesn't help me a whole lot on tracks like these.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 28 2008, 08:49 PM
you're the phantom porsche driver? lol
Nope, but I drove a Formula 2 car for several years....