Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Video: me in C6 chasing 996 GT3

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 28 2008, 12:15 PM
quickag what does it cost to run out there? i have been considering taking my miata out there but havnt gone much further than just considering it.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 28 2008, 10:15 AM
quickag what does it cost to run out there? i have been considering taking my miata out there but havnt gone much further than just considering it.
I ran with a group called the Driver's Edge:

http://www.thedriversedge.net/

The entry fee is right around $300. Of course, then you need to factor in consumables like tires, brakes, gas, oil, brake fluid, etc. It's not cheap, but it's nearly as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to update your youtube username, you had your c5 years ago, right?

good driving!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Corey, I would recommend 1-1.5 psi lower rear tire pressure to keep them from giving up and getting loose later in the session. Or I could be totally wrong and maybe you were just pushing a bit harder. What psi are you targeting hot? I found once you get over 39 hot they just get greasy and lose grip. 37-38 seems to be ideal for me. Just goes to show you what the mighty C6 is capable of in the hands of a competent driver. And Gerry is no slouch either, that guy can actually drive very well, I did not see him miss his mark the entire vid. Wish i could have been there with you guys, i need alot of practice at EC, and I finally have my alignment back to good, It was like driving a skid car last time I was there with toe out in back. Oh well, i ve had to trim the HPDE budget a bit since business is down currently so I did the PK drive with your buddy Andi. Good times there too.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Looks like a ton of fun. I hate the sound of the GT3 in that video, though. Maybe it's just the camera but it truly sounds awful.

Looks like you were faster, overall. Every time you came up on traffic, you'd get held up after he went by, but you still caught up eventually.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 1,136 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 28 2008, 09:09 AM
Subscribing to watch at home so I can flame Corey about how the C6 sucks and he should have bought a Fit instead.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jul 28 2008, 01:45 PM
Nice job Corey, I would recommend 1-1.5 psi lower rear tire pressure to keep them from giving up and getting loose later in the session. Or I could be totally wrong and maybe you were just pushing a bit harder. What psi are you targeting hot? I found once you get over 39 hot they just get greasy and lose grip. 37-38 seems to be ideal for me. Just goes to show you what the mighty C6 is capable of in the hands of a competent driver. And Gerry is no slouch either, that guy can actually drive very well, I did not see him miss his mark the entire vid. Wish i could have been there with you guys, i need alot of practice at EC, and I finally have my alignment back to good, It was like driving a skid car last time I was there with toe out in back. Oh well, i ve had to trim the HPDE budget a bit since business is down currently so I did the PK drive with your buddy Andi. Good times there too.
I was dropping a couple pounds of tire pressure between each session and they would still heat right back up. I was pushing the car, but the tires were definitely getting greasy.

This video is actually from when you were out there a few months ago. I just finally got around to uploading some of it. Andi told me he went out on that drive Saturday and had a good time. If I didn't have a birthday party to attend (co-worker's son), I would have joined you guys. This particular co-worker is a future owner of the company I'm at, so it was a good idea politically to go.

Anyway, hope you can come out to a future event! I'm doing the TMS night event on August 8th.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 28 2008, 02:58 PM
Looks like a ton of fun. I hate the sound of the GT3 in that video, though. Maybe it's just the camera but it truly sounds awful.

Looks like you were faster, overall. Every time you came up on traffic, you'd get held up after he went by, but you still caught up eventually.
No, it's not the camera. It's basically a straight exhaust and it's very, very loud and doesn't sound overly good IMO. I think it's for weight and power over sound though.

I was pacing him and enjoying following him. If I really wanted to get by, I would have downshifted to 2nd gear in a few corners to power out harder.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the 911 sound, but then I practically grew up around Porsche's with open exhausts.

How'd the width of the track seem? We went out there a while back to watch some vintage racing, and I was rather surprised at how narrow it looked.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Width isn't bad certainly in the passing zones. It didn't seem more narrow than the othher tracks around here.

Quick Reply: Video: me in C6 chasing 996 GT3