Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VIDEO: BMW 1-series M Coupe Officially Revealed

Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-> Hmm...now there are so many juicy BMW's with almost similar performance on almost the same price range! Let me explain (this includes the coupe, cabrio, and sedan variants):

- 135i
- 1M
- 335i
- 335i w/ M-Sport
- 335iS
- M3
- Z4 M

Old 12-11-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I must admit the 1-series M is a compelling car at the $45k price point. I don't think of it as a competitor to the Boxster/Cayman. I'd be surprised if the BMW could match those two in terms of driver communication and the ride/handling balance. However, it should handily outperform the entry-level Porsches and offer the utility of rear seats.

If I needed at least some rear seating in a new $45k performance car, I'd also consider the 440hp Boss 302. I'm leaning more towards the Mustang for its evil V8 sounds and its good looks.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88,Dec 11 2010, 07:31 AM
If I needed at least some rear seating in a new $45k performance car, I'd also consider the 440hp Boss 302. I'm leaning more towards the Mustang for its evil V8 sounds and its good looks.
this is what is so interesting about the new mustangs.
Say the boss is faster than the M3
You know the 1M isn't faster than the M3, and therefore isn't anywhere near as fast as the boss

So, if I'm shopping in that price range, and I wanted something fast as hell, the americans pretty much own the segment between the Boss and the C6.

If I'm shopping that segment and want luxury and options and something besides just raw speed, then maybe the 1M appeals...but if $45k is the base price, you're into the mid 50s with a bunch of normal options.

I don't know...it just seems like the 135 with some coils and a chip would get you into the ballark of a 1M (maybe even faster) at a much more affordable price.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd be a million times happier if, instead of 400+hp V8 M3 at 3700 lb. and now this 330+hp twin-turbo I-6 1M, that they'd give us a smaller/simpler/cheaper/lighterweight coupe and/or sedan.

1-series shouldn't be 95% of the size/cost/weight of the already oversized/overpriced/overweight 3-series, dammit!

Give us a REAL modern version of the 2002ti, or E30 M3. The very fact that people are comparing the performance version of BMW's smallest, lightestweight car with a Mustang is, to me, telling.

They are continuing to evolve in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Not that its a good idea to bring used cars into these discussions but...I'll be in the market for a 3rd "fun" car in the next year and this would compete directly with a low mileage 2004ish porsche 911 turbo.

Cache'? Porsche
Performance? Porsche
Reliability? Porsche (yes despite being used)
Gearbox? Porsche
Driving experience/fun? I'm guessing the porsche.

Hmmmmm.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Dec 11 2010, 12:32 PM
Give us a REAL modern version of the 2002ti, or E30 M3. The very fact that people are comparing the performance version of BMW's smallest, lightestweight car with a Mustang is, to me, telling.
Amen.

My favorite BMW of all time is the E30 M3 Sport Evolution. It weighed in at 2,650lb and had a mere 238hp to push it around. This car is the Carrera RS 2.7 of BMWs.

BMW, please build another lightweight, rwd, normally aspirated sportscar and make it affordable. Even with today's safety requirements, I would think it possible to achieve curb weight of under 3,000lb with a two-door sedan platform. The normally aspirated 260hp 3.0 inline-6 would be the perfect motor and could be tuned to sound wonderful.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Dec 10 2010, 03:59 AM
you're comparing apples to pears. someone in the market for a boxster/cayman would most likely not be interested in a 1M and vice versa.
I agree with this. They are two different cars. I'd have looked into a boxter s had I not a kid running around. I kept the s2000 until my daughter was two and it just didn't make sense any longer. I needed rear seats and noted the potential of the N54 to make very big power with simple bolt ons and a chip. I couldn't be happier with the 135i now. And if you've never done European Delivery of a vehicle, you're missing out. When all was said and done, I paid comparatively little for the car as I only ordered heated seats and comfort access. And the Euro pricing is better than what we get stateside. Not to mention I purchased during the economic vomit of 09 so .9 percent financing for 5 years was hard to pass up.

Although I do miss my s2000, it is a blast having my daughter in the car and goosing the throttle. She laughs her head off. I visit back here from time to time and read some of the threads. Then I bounce around on other forums. It is fun to watch those on S2ki talk about how ugly the 135i is, while on other boards, people talk about what a "chick car" the s2000 is. I'm guessing many of which have never driven the other car.

The looks of the s2000 were nice, not amazing. I'm not even really a fan of convertibles I drove it and after that I didn't care. The 135i is not a photogenic car (It really looks better in person). I drove the 135i and after that I didn't care. Stock the 135i leaves a bit to be desired. It could use a LSD, thicker sway bars, and some nice wheels and other visuals. Here is an example of a nicely done 135i, although it could use some tinted windows:

There are complaints about the power that BMW gave the 1M Coupe. It really is an entire package. I can't find the lap difference on Nurburgring but it is far superior to the stock 135i. Now for the price, here is where I struggle a bit. If you're a real track junky, you can do a whole heck of a lot to the 135i from a power and suspension perspective that will undoubtedly surpass the 1M coupe. But it won't be a 1M coupe.

Now if I can convince my wife to buy a house with another garage spot so I can go buy my AP1 back....
Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by philipf22,Dec 11 2010, 06:02 PM
If you're a real track junky, you can do a whole heck of a lot to the 135i from a power and suspension perspective that will undoubtedly surpass the 1M coupe. But it won't be a 1M coupe.
How are you so sure of this? Didn't BMW widen the track out front and back? Most of the suspension geometry is that of an M3, no? The M3 outhandles just about everything in its class and "feels" better doing so. Lets say that BMW prices this car at $45k. A base 135i is in the high 30's the last time I checked. I doubt part for part, dollar for dollar, you can make a car that outlandles and out power the M product. Most aftermarket LSD's for BMW's are $2,000. I find that ridiculous.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM

where did this whole 45K rumor start, anyways?
I remember this same conversation before the M3 pricing was announced...

What is so dumb about it is that even if the base is 45k (we'll see), people will refer to that as the price of the car...like they do with the M3. Everyone always says the M3 costs $57 or whatever...I've never seen one under $60 in reality and many of them run up close to $70 with normal equipment packages.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Dec 12 2010, 01:07 AM
where did this whole 45K rumor start, anyways?
I remember this same conversation before the M3 pricing was announced...

What is so dumb about it is that even if the base is 45k (we'll see), people will refer to that as the price of the car...like they do with the M3. Everyone always says the M3 costs $57 or whatever...I've never seen one under $60 in reality and many of them run up close to $70 with normal equipment packages.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463733
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464074

Both say $46k.

Edit:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463936

All options total together to less than 5k pounds which should be less than 7k in the US.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: BMW 1-series M Coupe Officially Revealed