Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vette versus Porsche

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a lot of questionable stuff going on there, but the end..that was just out of control. Makes for good viewing though. NASCAR aint got nuttin on dat!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that was awesome
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love ALMS!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that! Sooooo worth the 10 min, 20 secs!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 AM

The vette got him, so he should get the win IMO
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Oct 25 2009, 07:38 PM
Watching the video it was clear the Porsche deliberately spun the Corvette.
I am not sure I agree with. On another forum, they slowed the video down to half and quarter speed. In spite of the fact that the video was shot at the worst possible angle, the lighting sucked, and there was a bunch of other factors that blurred the video, it appears that the Corvette hit the Porsche thereby spinning himself out.

The tail lights of the Porsche are easy to follow and it looks like the Porsche ran him up to the wall and then stayed straight. It does not appear that the 911 turned left.

It looks like the Corvette tried to sideswipe the 911 AFTER it made the pass on the inside left of the straight away. The Corvette was past the 911 which is why it spun out in front of the 911.

Feel free to correct me. I have gone back and forth several times, but after watching that last video I mentioned, I think I have it figured out. lol
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

There was no reason the Porsche needed to be right up on the inside wall other than to try to block the Vette who was in the process of passing him. Turn 11 had a very slight bump by the Vette, but did not disrupt the Porsche at all.

Not to mention all the other times the Porsche blocked the Vette and ran him slightly off the track on more than a few occasions.

Great racing, but the pin by the Porsche on the final straightaway was uncalled for.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Mr. E.G.,

Right before the Corvette spun it looks like the Porsche slightly noses into the Corvette. Had the Corvette moved into the Porsche the Porsche's nose would have moved away from the wall the entire time.

Both drivers had done a few dirty moves but really I think the Porsche seemed to have done a few more blocks and pushed the Corvette off the track several times earlier on. They weren't dirty but they weren't clean either. I do think the Corvette was trying to bump on the last corner but that was as much just trying to regain what had been lost to the Porsche's bump in turn 1.

The final part was clearly the Porsche trying to force the Corvette into the wall. After both cars were heading straight the Porsche continued to move towards the wall. The Corvette had no were to go. Riley of Riley and Scott seems to feel the Porsche driver was over the line as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The Porsche wasn't trying to force him into the wall, as he stayed straight eventually (ie, he forced the other driver to CONCENTRATE on not hitting the wall but he didn't get him to hit the wall).

The Porsche got hit on the last corner so he decided to crowd the Vette. The Vette was still ahead but either decided to try and move away from the wall (thereby hitting the Porsche and spinning himself out) or else the Porsche made a bumping move (mid-straight) to spin the Vette.

I didn't see the Porsche make a move mid-straight to bump the Vette so I don't think the Porsche was the instigator of the actual final spin/crash. He was crowding him but he wasn't tapping/pushing him.

The background is that Bergmeister got spun in 2007 and he wasn't going to be pushed around this time. It wasn't Magnesson that spun him, either, but you can't blame him for pushing back after the lovetap on the final corner (which DID upset the car; how could it not?).
Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 PM

those two races, wow. just incredible.

Quick Reply: Vette versus Porsche