Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicles I have never owned

Old 03-02-2023, 08:30 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
It can be argued that this is again another example of marketing. People endlessly want wagons, so long as they're not called that. CUVs are the new station wagons, really all SUVs too.
If “Vacation” was a new film in 2023, Clark Griswald would be rolling to the dealership in the beginning of the movie and leaving with a CUV.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:57 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
If “Vacation” was a new film in 2023, Clark Griswald would be rolling to the dealership in the beginning of the movie and leaving with a CUV.

Classic National Lampoon.

I feel like wagons today are like manual transmissions, lusted after by enthusiasts who won't buy them new, and then complain why OEMs are killing them off. Frankly, these days I think it also has something to do with rarity and therefore exclusivity.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Vehicles I have never owned: American cars. I was actually a little surprised to realize this. Everything I've owned over the years has been either Japanese or German.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:31 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I feel like wagons today are like manual transmissions, lusted after by enthusiasts who won't buy them new, and then complain why OEMs are killing them off. Frankly, these days I think it also has something to do with rarity and therefore exclusivity.
We went to a Volvo dealer specifically for a V60 wagon, we were told they were discontinued, so we bought an S60 instead. Volvo has since brought the V60 back again for '23 (only in T5 variant) but still annoying. This was Jan '22.

My mom has only had wagons since moving to the US in 1980, she still has a bmw 525 wagon now. We'd love a wagon, but the stars never seem to align, I have tried though.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Name a genuinely affordable station wagon available new for a person making anything approaching the median income in the US.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:35 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Name a genuinely affordable station wagon available new for a person making anything approaching the median income in the US.
Buick Real TourX

Pretty sure the Subaru wagon offerings are affordable as well.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Buick Real TourX

Pretty sure the Subaru wagon offerings are affordable as well.
Regal has been discontinued for three years.

I don’t think an Outback has qualified as a wagon for quite some time. Even Subaru calls it an SUV.

The Jetta Sportwagon and golf Alltrack were also discontinued.

The 67k median household income doesn’t buy much in the way of a new car…and 50% of people make less than that.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Regal has been discontinued for three years.

I don’t think an Outback has qualified as a wagon for quite some time. Even Subaru calls it an SUV.

The Jetta Sportwagon and golf Alltrack were also discontinued.
Outback is definitely a wagon, Subaru calling it an SUV doesn't make it so. Subaru calls all their wagons SUV's (for marketing).

Regal may be discontinued, but it was definitely affordable when it was available.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Outback is definitely a wagon, Subaru calling it an SUV doesn't make it so. Subaru calls all their wagons SUV's (for marketing).

Regal may be discontinued, but it was definitely affordable when it was available.
It is a huge, tall vehicle. But sure.

Regal started at 30k.

A $30,000 car is pretty hard to pull off for a household with 2.6 people (per census bureau) grossing 67k/year. I do fine and I would have to make pretty dramatic changes to my spending to pull off payments on a $30,000 car while still saving a healthy amount. I say that without having any kids either.

All I’m saying is, people may want these cars are just be unable to afford them because they are being brought in largely in premium models and trims or they aren’t being marketed strongly to people who can afford them but don’t know they exist. Many of the non-car dorks I know love our alltrack and comment that they didn’t know they existed when they last went car shopping.

Last edited by TsukubaCody; 03-02-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:36 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

It is a huge, tall vehicle. But sure.

Regal started at 30k.

A $30,000 car is pretty hard to pull off for a household with 2.6 people (per census bureau) grossing 67k/year. I do fine and I would have to make pretty dramatic changes to my spending to pull off payments on a $30,000 car while still saving a healthy amount. I say that without having any kids either.

All I’m saying is, people may want these cars are just be unable to afford them because they are being brought in largely in premium models and trims or they aren’t being marketed strongly to people who can afford them but don’t know they exist. Many of the non-car dorks I know love our alltrack and comment that they didn’t know they existed when they last went car shopping.
Outback is not a huge tall vehicle by any stretch.

$30k for a new car falls in the affordable category whether you agree or not. Average new car price is $49k.

Quick Reply: Vehicles I have never owned