Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicles I have never owned

Old 02-25-2023, 04:54 AM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Not for sport riding. They are overly heavy, underpowered, and the braking systems leave a lot to be desired. It’s not a sport riding motorcycle. Ducati makes a better cruiser than anything Hardly Ableson makes. They are also way overpriced.
AND, nobody said anything about sport riding! I agree Ducati is a great bike, but not a cruiser that would hang with a Harley., and it has its place, just like a Harley Davidson does, and man you need to learn how to spell!! And what isn't overpriced these days? At least Harley holds their value well, I recently sold my 2007 Road Glide with 95+ thousand miles on it and still got $10,500 for it.
And if a rider is capable a Harley is a very spirited riding bike. I got passed going down a nice curvy mountain road a few years back by a group of sport riders so I thought I'd have some fun and join the pack.. Boy were they surprised when we got to the bottom and I was right there.. Have you actually ever rode a Harley?? My guess would be no....
Old 02-25-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
AND, nobody said anything about sport riding! I agree Ducati is a great bike, but not a cruiser that would hang with a Harley., and it has its place, just like a Harley Davidson does, and man you need to learn how to spell!! And what isn't overpriced these days? At least Harley holds their value well, I recently sold my 2007 Road Glide with 95+ thousand miles on it and still got $10,500 for it.
And if a rider is capable a Harley is a very spirited riding bike. I got passed going down a nice curvy mountain road a few years back by a group of sport riders so I thought I'd have some fun and join the pack.. Boy were they surprised when we got to the bottom and I was right there.. Have you actually ever rode a Harley?? My guess would be no....
Of course I have. Been riding road and track for 25 years, I’ve ridden everything including the new E bikes. Own 3 bikes currently, just got a new A* suit to replace my old one, new Helds, and looking at my first airbag system to buy for this season as I’ve put it off long enough. You aren’t going to tell me anything about motorcycles. Hell look at the avatar to the left and figure it out. A bike needs to have performance. I call them Hardly Ablesons for a reason, they are hardly able. Image bikes more than anything. They do not compare to a proper modern Japanese motorcycle. They are awfully heavy, underpowered, the braking systems on some/many of them are damn near archaic, and they are way overpriced for what you get. Paying for the name. As I said, “cruising” type riding, Ducati Diavel V4 all day. Plenty of upright naked bikes to choose from these days also if you don’t want a sport riding or sport touring riding position.

Hardlys do hold their value. You’ve got a nation of people that worship at the altar, and buy the hats, shirts, vests, trucks with the logo, belt buckles etc. The dealerships are tipping over from the bullshit swag they sell. It’s marketing at its finest.

If a rider is capable, bike to bike, the Hardly would be left for dead. A good rider on a Hardly vs. some newb on a sportbike is like a seasoned driver in a Camry vs. a S2000. Skill trumps the bike. Bike for bike is a completely different story. I’ve had groups of the Hardly riders block my twisty routes. I execute pass after pass until the lead guy, and on more than one occasion, seen the guy, who could ride well, grind his motorcycle, sparks flying trying to stay with me. All I wanted to do was simply get past them as they were holding me up and instead of doing like most rural drivers/riders, motioning to go past or moving over, they chock block it. Dude had an ego and pushed that bike to its limit and it was not near enough. 1-2 corners, never saw them again. None of them in a suit, and that guy was in his bandana, and glasses. No helmet. It’s just a different world. The 1% or less I’ve met that wear proper gear, and just like the image thing, and admit it, I respect. They just are into the brand, etc. But those guys even admit, the bike is just not even in the conversation with modern motorcycles.

It’s just a different deal period. We don’t have to agree either. I’d never buy one in a million years. I could spend way less and get an upright bike that weighs hundreds of pounds less, with more power, better brakes, better chassis, more reliable, doesn’t burn oil, the list is long and distinguished. I could probably buy two for what Hardly charges. I’d take a Sport Tourer over them for more comfort. And “cruising” I’d take the Ducati. But then again I can cruise around on my road registered pit bike. It’ll do 60 mph. Each to their own dude. Not hearing it.

Last edited by TommyDeVito; 02-25-2023 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyDeVito:
Porsche935 (02-25-2023), silvio1522 (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:01 PM

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Hardlys do hold their value. You’ve got a nation of people that worship at the altar, and buy the hats, shirts, vests, trucks with the logo, belt buckles etc. The dealerships are tipping over from the bullshit swag they sell. It’s marketing at its finest.
If you have the bike, you gotta have the uniform for the yearly trek to Sturgis. "Harley Rules", right?
Old 02-26-2023, 04:33 AM

Of course I have. Been riding road and track for 25 years, I’ve ridden everything including the new E bikes. Own 3 bikes currently, just got a new A* suit to replace my old one, new Helds, and looking at my first airbag system to buy for this season as I’ve put it off long enough. You aren’t going to tell me anything about motorcycles. Hell look at the avatar to the left and figure it out. A bike needs to have performance. I call them Hardly Ablesons for a reason, they are hardly able. Image bikes more than anything. They do not compare to a proper modern Japanese motorcycle. They are awfully heavy, underpowered, the braking systems on some/many of them are damn near archaic, and they are way overpriced for what you get. Paying for the name. As I said, “cruising” type riding, Ducati Diavel V4 all day. Plenty of upright naked bikes to choose from these days also if you don’t want a sport riding or sport touring riding position.

If a rider is capable, bike to bike, the Hardly would be left for dead. A good rider on a Hardly vs. some newb on a sportbike is like a seasoned driver in a Camry vs. a S2000. Skill trumps the bike. Bike for bike is a completely different story. I’ve had groups of the Hardly riders block my twisty routes. I execute pass after pass until the lead guy, and on more than one occasion, seen the guy, who could ride well, grind his motorcycle, sparks flying trying to stay with me. All I wanted to do was simply get past them as they were holding me up and instead of doing like most rural drivers/riders, motioning to go past or moving over, they chock block it. Dude had an ego and pushed that bike to its limit and it was not near enough. 1-2 corners, never saw them again. None of them in a suit, and that guy was in his bandana, and glasses. No helmet. It’s just a different world. The 1% or less I’ve met that wear proper gear, and just like the image thing, and admit it, I respect. They just are into the brand, etc. But those guys even admit, the bike is just not even in the conversation with modern motorcycles.

It’s just a different deal period. We don’t have to agree either. I’d never buy one in a million years. I could spend way less and get an upright bike that weighs hundreds of pounds less, with more power, better brakes, better chassis, more reliable, doesn’t burn oil, the list is long and distinguished. I could probably buy two for what Hardly charges. I’d take a Sport Tourer over them for more comfort. And “cruising” I’d take the Ducati. But then again I can cruise around on my road registered pit bike. It’ll do 60 mph. Each to their own dude. Not hearing it.
WOW, bla bla bla...
Whatever your opinion is , which is all you are throwing around is your opinion, And mine is that a Harley is a great cruising/touring bike. And oil leaks? Really?? you are bringing up that archaic argument again?? My Harleys never leaked oil, most of them dont anymore. And oh, I get your statement "I'm not hearing it" Your yacking WAY to much to hear anything!!
I'm done, there will be no more.
The following users liked this post:
lonewolf828 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So much hate for minivans.
While I personally dislike them, the reason that I said I will never own one is I have no kids and am 53. What would the point be? Won't own a full sized pickup either. The wife and I are both under 5'7" and 165 pounds. Either vehicle would be overkill don't you think?
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
While I personally dislike them, the reason that I said I will never own one is I have no kids and am 53. What would the point be? Won't own a full sized pickup either. The wife and I are both under 5'7" and 165 pounds. Either vehicle would be overkill don't you think?
Would've never entered our head to get a minivan if we didn't have kids. It served a purpose, but I wouldn't do it again and would've done it differently based on our time with one.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by vader1
What exactly does your size have to do with owning a full-size pickup? Most of the reason for a pickup is for hauling or towing. I have a full size 4 door 4 wheel drive pickup and could really not be able to do with out it!! That blue one right behind my NFR 2000

Last edited by A.O.; 02-27-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-27-2023, 06:27 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

It all depends on how often you really need to haul or tow something. First vehicle was a half-ton pickup truck. Kept it for 16+ years before selling to BIL, who used it daily as a work vehicle (actually made use of it).

For me, no longer having one, the few times that i've found the need for one, these two options took care of the job. For how infrequently I've needed it, I can't possibly justify using it as a gas guzzling DD or the associated insurance/registration costs. Also, I hate driving them. I found the U-Haul van to be a better drive than my previously owned pick up truck, or the alternate F-250 home depot option. Across the board, would much rather drive an econo-slushbox-cvt compact sedan or prius over any of the full size pick up trucks that I've driven.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bullwings:
TheDonEffect (02-28-2023), tiger1964 (02-28-2023), TsukubaCody (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
It all depends on how often you really need to haul or tow something. First vehicle was a half-ton pickup truck. Kept it for 16+ years before selling to BIL, who used it daily as a work vehicle (actually made use of it).

For me, no longer having one, the few times that i've found the need for one, these two options took care of the job. For how infrequently I've needed it, I can't possibly justify using it as a gas guzzling DD or the associated insurance/registration costs. Also, I hate driving them. I found the U-Haul van to be a better drive than my previously owned pick up truck, or the alternate F-250 home depot option. Across the board, would much rather drive an econo-slushbox-cvt compact sedan or prius over any of the full size pick up trucks that I've driven.

I use mine all the time, be it for carrying lumber or other building materials, deer or pigs to the processer , or hauling logs out of the woods or taking my tractor somewhere. I tried without one for a year and sold my truck and bought an FJ Cruiser.. nice vehicle but just did not get the job done, would not carry a sheet of plywood and if I wanted to take an animal to the processer I had to get one of those hitch haul things to do it. I'll have a pickup till the day I die!
And you can add that econo-slushbox-cvt compact sedan or prius to that list of cars I would never own!!
Old 02-28-2023, 04:19 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
I use mine all the time, be it for carrying lumber or other building materials, deer or pigs to the processer , or hauling logs out of the woods or taking my tractor somewhere. I tried without one for a year and sold my truck and bought an FJ Cruiser.. nice vehicle but just did not get the job done, would not carry a sheet of plywood and if I wanted to take an animal to the processer I had to get one of those hitch haul things to do it. I'll have a pickup till the day I die!
And you can add that econo-slushbox-cvt compact sedan or prius to that list of cars I would never own!!
You really do not have to be so defensive of every single vehicle you own. I would never own a truck, but I don’t do regular hauling of massive, heavy items (plot twist, neither do the VAST majority of americans). A truck or harley may be the right fit for your lifestyle. It doesn’t mean it is the right one for anyone else.

Quick Reply: Vehicles I have never owned