Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicles I have never owned

Old 02-22-2023, 03:45 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

On the minivan point, they are just anti-enthusiast stuff to me
I had a 96 Volvo 850R wagon with a third row of seating and roof racks
It was fantastic for family travel when the kids were young
Old 02-22-2023, 07:31 PM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So much hate for minivans.
Misplaced hate imo. There is no better hybrid work truck/people hauler if you don't need to haul thousands of pounds. [sincere post]My grandpa poured concrete all through my childhood and he always swore by his Plymouth Voyager. Hardest working person I'll ever meet. When us kids were all around he'd toss the second and third rows back in and have a family hauler for taking us around. When I was old enough to be messing with cars and such, he'd always volunteer to tag along and transport my wheels and such. One of my last memories of him is he and I driving eight hours round trip to pick up a coffee table for my first solo place.[/sincere post] Minivans are good and no one can or will ever talk me out of that.

(They're also way cooler than any of the crossovers on sale today)

Last edited by TsukubaCody; 02-22-2023 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 04:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Remember, all vehicles create a niche. And not all are coveted by all. I say to each it's own. Whatever fits your needs and makes you happy.
The following users liked this post:
robb (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:24 AM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche935
Remember, all vehicles create a niche. And not all are coveted by all. I say to each it's own. Whatever fits your needs and makes you happy.
Exactly!! I'll never own a mini van, a Subaru, a VW, and a few others that aren't in my mind right now.. Now a 68-69 charger or another 70 Mustang and I would be a very happy man.. broke, but happy!
Old 02-23-2023, 08:36 AM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Misplaced hate imo. There is no better hybrid work truck/people hauler if you don't need to haul thousands of pounds. [sincere post]My grandpa poured concrete all through my childhood and he always swore by his Plymouth Voyager. Hardest working person I'll ever meet. When us kids were all around he'd toss the second and third rows back in and have a family hauler for taking us around. When I was old enough to be messing with cars and such, he'd always volunteer to tag along and transport my wheels and such. One of my last memories of him is he and I driving eight hours round trip to pick up a coffee table for my first solo place.[/sincere post] Minivans are good and no one can or will ever talk me out of that.

(They're also way cooler than any of the crossovers on sale today)
No doubt. Minivan is the best multipurpose vehicle there is. Why pay twice as much for a suburban when you can get a swagger wagon that utilizes space much better and infinitely more practical. I’m more of a function over form fellar.

Never owned anything German but was born and raised in Germany so my old man had many. Owned Italian and British motorcycles. Will never own Italian again but sure do love me my Triumphs!
Old 02-24-2023, 12:00 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Fronting that image bullshit and minivans don’t mix. That’s why I love the damn things.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:20 AM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Seems they are always the slowest cars in traffic, them and the Lexus’s!!

Last edited by A.O.; 02-24-2023 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

So easy to hate. Tall, tippy, heavy -- but offset by interior volume.

It always seemed to me that the common formula of putting that much additional bodywork on top of a (usually) FWD car platform was always going to over-stress the engine and drivetrain. Did any Chrysler minivan in the 1980's and 90's ever make it to 100K miles without a transmission failure?

Sadly the sporty station wagon -- not all that much heavier and perhaps no taller than a sedan -- is gone from the marketplace. I recently read an article about someone paying $$$ to recreate the sole prototype 1971 Peugeot 504 "Riviera" sportwagon -- droolworthy aesthetics and such a vehicle does not need to drive much different than a sedan/coupe. We're heading towards a Subaru BRZ this year, and I certainly wish they had put their sportwagon (concept car, 2013 Tokyo auto show) into production - we'd be getting that for sure.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:08 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
So easy to hate. Tall, tippy, heavy -- but offset by interior volume.

It always seemed to me that the common formula of putting that much additional bodywork on top of a (usually) FWD car platform was always going to over-stress the engine and drivetrain. Did any Chrysler minivan in the 1980's and 90's ever make it to 100K miles without a transmission failure?
An early 90’s Voyager was 3,100-3,300 pounds. What are you even talking about?

And yes, quite a few made it well beyond 100k.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:22 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
A little off subject but Harley is a great product.
Not for sport riding. They are overly heavy, underpowered, and the braking systems leave a lot to be desired. It’s not a sport riding motorcycle. Ducati makes a better cruiser than anything Hardly Ableson makes. They are also way overpriced.

Quick Reply: Vehicles I have never owned