Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicle that suits my needs under 30k

Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the used FX35 idea. We're on our 3rd ('05, '07, and '08). If you're not into off-roading, it seems a much better choice than the FJ. At least it is moderately fun to drive. I doubt the same can be said of the FJ (never driven one, but I have driven some 4-Runners, and they are boring as sin). It is also the best highway car I have ever driven (quiet, unless under acceleration, with great seats, driving position, stereo, etc.), so I think it will serve you well on those longer trips. We've had zero problems with all 3 of ours. You should be able to get a nice '06 or '07 for under $30K without much trouble, I would think. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnston,Aug 27 2008, 10:15 AM
I second the used FX35 idea. We're on our 3rd ('05, '07, and '08). If you're not into off-roading, it seems a much better choice than the FJ. At least it is moderately fun to drive. I doubt the same can be said of the FJ (never driven one, but I have driven some 4-Runners, and they are boring as sin). It is also the best highway car I have ever driven (quiet, unless under acceleration, with great seats, driving position, stereo, etc.), so I think it will serve you well on those longer trips. We've had zero problems with all 3 of ours. You should be able to get a nice '06 or '07 for under $30K without much trouble, I would think. Good luck.
I totally forgot about the FX35, Ill definitely have to look into this. Great looks, awesome interior and some decent punch. hmmmmm
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by EP Heart,Aug 27 2008, 10:55 AM
The Forrester (at least those years you stated) aren't much bigger than a WRX wagon of the same year. The only real noticeable thing to me was it has more head room. The back seats are still pretty cramped (and the benches are too short, think in the back-to-knees direction) like the WRX wagon and the trunk doesn't seem much bigger except for the height and a little more width near the top (since it doesn't slope as much as the WRX wagon).

I don't think you could go wrong with either one, though, but I prefer the WRX's looks.
One thing I forgot to mention that the Forester XT insurance is dirt cheap compared to the STI and the boxy body blends in with the rest of the SUV crowd and it seems to be much more of a sleeper than the WRX or STI.
Also the gas mileage is a whole lot better than the FJ! I am getting 22 city and 26 hwy but it does require premium because of the turbo. Why does the FJ require premium? Seems to be a waste because it will not perform in acceleration as well as the XT!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Aug 27 2008, 09:20 AM
thanks alot for your descriptive input sahtt. Was your fathers FJ a 6speed manual or the 5 speed auto? From even more thinking, it looks like the FJ is the winner. Ive been on fjforums for a while now, and from the videos that I have seen it is ASTOUNDING, even in stock form! One guy is doing a full trek from frisco, to canada, alaska, back down to mexico, and all the way to argentina or brazil IN the FJ. I believe he's somewhere in the galapagos or entering south america right now.

www.alongdrive.com and you can find it on FJ forums on the expedition pictures sub section

aklucsarits
I found out the horror stories after searching in the warranty section of NASIOC. Geez what a waste, now it seems that the re map of the ecm is just a temporary band-aid to cover the problem. Now it seems that some sti's even have defective pistons. Out goes that option, and Im not willing to deal with a problem that the dealer could just laugh and say "better luck next time pal", why should I even have to purchase AP to get a stage 2 map on a freaking 40k$ car! HELL NO!!!
It's the 5spd auto. 6spd isn't too great if you are using it a lot for hunting but it would make the off road capabilities even better, which is a little hard to imagine.

The first month he had it he drove it through water almost at the windows, which are pretty high up on the door. He underestimated the depth obviously but went about 30 yards and drove it another 200 miles in no where mexico then 500 back to houston, no issues. That was stock.

It's the only SUV i'd buy. I'll send my father that link when I get a chance.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't remember if you said no VW's but have you driven the R32? It's not STi fast but they are pretty nice.

Take a look at this one, wrong tranny but you get the idea:

R32 # one.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a Fit for 15K and put the other 15K into a high yield CD and let the dividends pay for gas.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 AM

thanks everyone, Im pretty sure its going to be the FJ with the other option being an FX35. Unless the ugly sports car head shows itself maybe an s2k?? But I highly doubt the latter option. So now its about

FJ vs FX, go figure.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by CG,Aug 28 2008, 06:23 AM
I don't remember if you said no VW's but have you driven the R32? It's not STi fast but they are pretty nice.

Take a look at this one, wrong tranny but you get the idea:

R32 # one.
I agree an R32 would fit with a sportier slant than an FJ.

Great car, good versatility with the hatch, AWD, etc. I owned one for about 4,000 miles (this new generation) before realizing that I needed something bigger. But it was a great car if you can get along with the DSG (no manual available with this generation).

Had both the FJ and the R32, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. i just decided to consolidate on one car.

I ended up with the 07 MDX Sport. While I liked the FX, it didn't quite have the space I was looking for. The MDX with Sport suspension is quite nimble, and good power for it's size. 300 HP out af a 3.7L v6. SH-AWD system has worked well too. But you won't be able to find a current gen MDX Sport for under 30K sadly.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

How about a 128 with sports package?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by pbm317,Aug 29 2008, 10:06 AM
I agree an R32 would fit with a sportier slant than an FJ.

Great car, good versatility with the hatch, AWD, etc. I owned one for about 4,000 miles (this new generation) before realizing that I needed something bigger. But it was a great car if you can get along with the DSG (no manual available with this generation).

Had both the FJ and the R32, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. i just decided to consolidate on one car.

I ended up with the 07 MDX Sport. While I liked the FX, it didn't quite have the space I was looking for. The MDX with Sport suspension is quite nimble, and good power for it's size. 300 HP out af a 3.7L v6. SH-AWD system has worked well too. But you won't be able to find a current gen MDX Sport for under 30K sadly.
Ive considered the MDX as well, but its price tag is way out of my price range. The R32 is definitely too small for me. If I pick the FJ im using its 4x4 abilities to do what it was meant to do. Ive never gone off roading, but I know if I do end up with this vehicle it will open up a whole array of adventure. Long road trips, expeditions to different states and versatile utility.

The 128 with the sport package isnt worth my $$. Minuscule space, low power, and more $$ than what Im looking to spend. If Im getting a new bimmer it better have the N54 in it!. thanks though.