Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicle that suits my needs under 30k

Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i was in your situation, i would get a FJ or used Infiniti FX. If you never driven a FX, you should take it out on a test drive. I love the way that car feels =)
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

If you truly haul 50 5-gallon water jugs at one time, you need a proper pickup or huge SUV. Those jugs weigh roughly 45 lbs each, so you have a 2250 lb payload capacity requirement (and that doesn't count you or your passengers). That's a serious amount of weight.

It's a shame you're excluding the Mazda3, Subaru Forester, and Honda Element as all of those vehicles are very capable, moderately fun to drive, and are very practical as well.

If you carry a lot of stuff, a Honda Fit would actually do the job nicely (and for not a lot of money). Lots of cargo room and you can stuff a bike in there, too. It's not 4WD, though. Otherwise, an Evo or STi are going to give the most fun and practicality in a single AWD package.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Aug 25 2008, 03:06 PM
STI 06-08
If given the choice today, I believe I would pick up an sti. Im done with the power hungry phase, the most id ever do to it would be a set of coilovers and rims and call it a day. It has decent space, 4 doors, fun and power with better gas mileage (22mpg shifting under 3k)than an FJ. I could throw a roof rack on it for the bikes and it has a decent sized trunk. Price is an issue here since I have seen 07's go north of 30k. They've got great reliability but the looks are in the hit or miss department. I dont care much for the rear wing and even if it didnt have that huge rear wing it just looks kinda of bland. The 08's are great but then again I cant really see myself driving this car around for a very long time (too boy racer maybe??). The 2008 looks like a focus hatchback on steroids, it just has that look that needs to grow on you.
The 2007 STis and the 2008+ STis should be avoided. They have a tendency to burnt up pistons and engine failure, even in a completely stock car. This design flaw is well-documented on the nasioc forums.

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Aug 25 2008, 03:06 PM
Evo
not really a fan of mitsubishi and their reliability is mediocre from what ive read on the forums. I need reliability and a car that will stay with me for many years and north of 100k.
Evo's are extremely over-engineered and are very strong and very reliable cars, especially in stock form. It's mainly when you have a bunch of unknowledgeable tuners combining questionable modifications that you start seeing issues. And as a result, the car unfairly gets stigmatized as being
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

thank you everyone for your input. Im still reading up on the evo at evom. Oh and I had a typo, I meant to say 5 five gallon salt water jugs not 50. haha
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=aklucsarits,Aug 26 2008, 05:06 AM]
The 2007 STis and the 2008+ STis should be avoided. They have a tendency to burnt up pistons and engine failure, even in a completely stock car. This design flaw is well-documented on the nasioc forums.

Evo's are extremely over-engineered and are very strong and very reliable cars, especially in stock form. It's mainly when you have a bunch of unknowledgeable tuners combining questionable modifications that you start seeing issues. And as a result, the car unfairly gets stigmatized as being
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it happens, it's under warranty. IMO, the new STI is so much better for the real world than the Evo, it would be the only choice for me.

Check out the Evo's miniscule trunk vs. the STi's huge cargo area (esp. w/ rear seats folded) - would be perfect for carrying bikes, jugs of water, etc.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Ok I faced the same problem and my take is -

FJ- Ok love the styling but gas mileage is bad and rearward visibility bad
Sti - Had one for 6 months . Wow insurance is very high on these!
EVO- My mechanic says stay away from Mitsu even this one!
4Runner- Boy is this thing BORING. No fun but great versatility.
S2000- One of the most fun cars you can buy but not suited for your needs .(Get one later after your versatile car) . No hauling capability or AWD .
So where does that leave you?
You want Fun,Versatility,AWD, Hauling capabilities,manual transmission,and reliable sensible and practical.
The only choice is the 04-08 Forester XT . Turbo fun that is fast as a WRX with more room and hauling capibility and you can upgrade it to be as fast as the STI .

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Have you considered the MazdaSpeed 3? It seems to fit everything you want except for AWD.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Ill need to check out the msp3 again at the dealer. It just doesnt do it for me looks wise. After tons of thinking its still between the FJ and sti. Thanks again everyone for your input
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Aug 26 2008, 01:55 PM
Ive never heard of this engine failure that you speak of.
2007 and 2008 STi engine problems:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1344832
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1386117
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1529313

Those are just a few threads I could find in 2 min of searching. There are many other cases posted there.

Most believe the issue is that the factory maps are too lean, which causes detonation, and eventually piston failure.

A local autoxer in this area is currently on his 3rd engine in his stock 2008 STi. His car runs in the A stock class. Another guy I autoX with had a stock 2008 STi for about 1/2 season before he decided to get rid of it because it would blow white smoke like crazy after hard driving. He said based on what he had read and learned from other owners, this was a possible precursor to failure. He traded it in on a 2003 Z06.

If you want an STi, stick with the 2004-06. They are cheaper anyway.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Vehicle that suits my needs under 30k