Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Upcoming 2017 Civic Si

Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upcoming 2017 Civic Si

Wanted to hear some thoughts on the new Civic & on the upcoming Si. Anyone excited to see how it turns out?

Rumors state that it'll have a 2.0 Turbo, de-tuned unit from the current Type-R, who's engine is currently built in the US anyways. 220-230hp.

I drove a 2016 EX-T Coupe this weekend & was very impressed with the chassis & handling dynamics. It felt extremely tight & eager to be thrown around. Better behaved & more refined than any Civic I've driven before. Only gripe was the CVT, which isn't a bad trans but it made it nearly impossible to explore the powerband of the new 1.5T, the engine didn't feel boosted when paired to a CVT trans. Honda has said they are offering a 6MT on upcoming 2017 models with the 1.5T, currently they only offer an MT with the 2.0 N/A base model.

Photos of the Si in camo courtesy of CivicX forum:

Note the holes in the rear hatch/trunk where the spoiler will mount.

Here's to hoping the Si will share some of the bold styling as the concept. We already see the center exhaust & maybe the spoiler...wheels are nearly identical as well!
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks great. What I really want to know more details about is the engine. I'm sure i'm not the only one in this predicament.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

That rear end has a bit too much of that crz/insight/prius panel for my liking. And the 2" slab arches over the wheels are just a travesty. For me, they only draw attention to the fact that the wheels are not in proportion with the height of the car.

Sorry, I know I'll probably be in the minority, but I'm just not a fan.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^I'm with you. I find the styling of the current sedan and coupe heavy handed and tacky. I don't see these designs aging gracefully either.

I can't pass judgement on a car that hasn't been officially released yet, but the styling is probably a non-starter for me.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Personally I'm a fan of how the new civic looks. The first few times I saw them I didn't realize it was a civic because the styling is a dramatic change from the boring designs of yore of old civics. I'd say it's a nice change. I guess the new civic is even bigger than the old one which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Regarding the wheel arches.. what can you do.. Personally I like the idea of not having giant wheels/tires (read: more expensive) on everything. Anything more than a 17" wheel on anything but a sports car is a complete waste imo. All these sedans that come with 18's or 19's is ridiculous imo and a waste.

Call me crazy but I'm more excited about the car coming with Android Auto than most other things. Cars are becoming much more utilitarian people movers than fun cars, and I wouldn't buy a civic for "fun."
Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree with you about the size of tires & wheels. But they have to be large to look proportional with the rest of the car. And a lot of that is a direct result of the styling being negatively affected by pedestrian crash standards.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Regarding the wheel arches.. what can you do.. Personally I like the idea of not having giant wheels/tires (read: more expensive) on everything. Anything more than a 17" wheel on anything but a sports car is a complete waste imo. All these sedans that come with 18's or 19's is ridiculous imo and a waste.
I was shaking my head when the Accord Sport went from 18" to 19" for 2016. A family sedan needs a good ride and affordable tires - both moved in the wrong direction in the process of making the wheels look too big (and tire profile too small) for that car.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

This might actually be a pretty cool DD. Looking forward to the reviews.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

They are a bit over the top, but I'll take that over the corolla or whatever nissan is producing. The mazda3 though probably the best looker in the segment. In any rate, let's see what honda brings coming late to the party.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes less is more. And this is one of those situations... looks ugly as shizz to me... I wish they would make the EM1 again...lol id buy one right now as my DD

Quick Reply: Upcoming 2017 Civic Si