Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Union will be the death of US auto industry

Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Union will be the death of US auto industry

I was watching the news tonight.

http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.as...10044&catid=347

Will Chrysler and GM workers agree to the wages paid U.S. workers in Nissan and Toyota plants? Some observers doubt it.

"The union is looking to President Obama, a man who owes his election in part to the unions, o give them a better contract than they would have to accept if they lowered wages and work rules and the rest to the same standard as the Japanese manufacturers," said University of Maryland Professor Peter Morici.
when will these parasites realize that they're killing the very organism that gives it life?
I don't see Toyota and Nissan begging Congress for bailout money and threatening bankruptcy if bailout money is not approved.

more sources
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...8r5nCQD96BLNB80

GM has said its total per-employee labor costs, including wages, pensions, benefits and retiree costs, are now $69 per hour. Toyota Motor Corp., GM's biggest competitor, says its hourly costs are $53.
damn. $53 for a high school grad and they're complaining!!!
a starting primary-care physician salary is not $69/hour. these guys are asking for the moon. I hope they go bankrupt and something leaner and more efficient emerges.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love your quote...
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. True story
I use it often with my sales Team.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unions are the death of not only the auto industry, but pretty much all the industry we had in America. That's why most of the industries we had closed shop and opened in Communist China. I mean, if you have to deal with a bunch of dictators, you might as well do it on the cheap, know what I mean?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

You should have heard the phone conversation I had with a Teamsters official today who was trying to get our construction company to sign up with the union on a project we have in a different state. Our refusal to do so would "open a can of worms" and "cause our company a lot of problems down the road" is what he said. Good times.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Feb 16 2009, 07:59 PM
I was watching the news tonight.

http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.as...10044&catid=347

when will these parasites realize that they're killing the very organism that gives it life?
I don't see Toyota and Nissan begging Congress for bailout money and threatening bankruptcy if bailout money is not approved.

more sources
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...8r5nCQD96BLNB80

damn. $53 for a high school grad and they're complaining!!!
a starting primary-care physician salary is not $69/hour. these guys are asking for the moon. I hope they go bankrupt and something leaner and more efficient emerges.
You are confusing your numbers. The quoted per hour costs include not only wages, healthcare, etc it also includes the costs/payments to retirees. The active workers get quite a bit but not as much as that figure suggests.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM

no I am not.
I understand that $69 is the total but this is all benefit (current plus future) to the employee. Basically this is the benefit to the worker. There are other costs associated with hiring workers (workers comp insurance, social sec taxes, unemployment taxes, etc) Which the employees don't see/enjoy.
Often a physician is hired, he is done so as an independent contractor. He pays his own way (health insurance, taxes, dental, malpractice etc). I am comparing a high school grad to a physician b/c of the outrageous demand the union is asking of a dying company.
I had friends who didn't make $69/hour after 11 or more demanding years of medical training. This is how much an AVERAGE GM worker makes.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by airgate,Feb 16 2009, 08:35 PM
I love your quote...

I use it often with my sales Team.
Thanks, but it's not my quote.
in no way I am pretending to be Barney Stinson.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020,Feb 16 2009, 10:01 PM
no I am not.
I understand that $69 is the total but this is all benefit (current plus future) to the employee. Basically this is the benefit to the worker. There are other costs associated with hiring workers (workers comp insurance, social sec taxes, unemployment taxes, etc) Which the employees don't see/enjoy.
Often a physician is hired, he is done so as an independent contractor. He pays his own way (health insurance, taxes, dental, malpractice etc). I am comparing a high school grad to a physician b/c of the outrageous demand the union is asking of a dying company.
I had friends who didn't make $69/hour after 11 or more demanding years of medical training. This is how much an AVERAGE GM worker makes.
Exactly. I agree that most folks would look at those numbers and think well that's with _____, but think that most true cost of med coverage is about 500/mo, break it down per hour on a 40 hour work week and assume 4 weeks and you'll find it isn't all that much even if you make it 1000/mo. And retirement? Most of us are doing 401Ks/IRAs, i.e., coming out of our pocket unless the company is matching. AND they're hourly, which means no "sorry guys, can't go to vegas this weekend, I got a deadline to meet so I'll be working through the weekend."
To put it in perspective, a self employed person (like a lawyer or physician with their own practice) would need to make 143,520 (40 hour week, 52 weeks in a year at 69/hour) to match that of a UAW worker.
I hope that these numbers are wrong becaues if they're true, this truly outraging especially since Obama is going after CEOs about what they make (and rightfully so to a certain extent). And no, it isn't because I want to put down the common man, I want to take away from the undeserving, that wage could pay two good workers that could support two families instead of supporting one undeserving family.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM

I bet the posters in this thread were opposed to the stimulus bill as well.

If you're willing to get your news from right wing talking points and aren't willing to do real research, would rather believe what you want to believe, then there's no stopping you. But ignorance is what's killing this country. People who voted for the politicians who supported deregulation and so called free trade all these years. Look what it got you. The only thing worse than ignorant people are arrogant ignorant people who think they are knowledgeable.

That hourly wage quoted in the right wing media includes support for already retired workers. The negotiations going on right now are over the benefits to these already retired workers. Just read the major papers online.

Without the threat of unionization companies that are still based in the U.S. would pay much less. We have no were near full employment so wages are not supported by demand for labor.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004S2000,Feb 16 2009, 11:07 PM
Without the threat of unionization companies that are still based in the U.S. would pay much less. We have no were near full employment so wages are not supported by demand for labor.
So, there needs to be the threat of unions to get higher wages than the demand is willing to support? So unions want to throw that whole supply/demand thing right out of the window?

Nice. We could be in for a long ride in this recession.

Quick Reply: Union will be the death of US auto industry