Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Undecided 08 s2k or 08 Accord Coupe ex-l v6 MT

Old 04-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided 08 s2k or 08 Accord Coupe ex-l v6 MT

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this board for the last couple of days doing a bit of research on the s2k. All the info I've found in here has been very helpful and it is really making it hard for me to make a decision on what car to purchase - 2008 S2000 or 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 MT?

I test drove the s2k the other day and I have to admit it was a hard beast to tame. I've never owned a MT car before but I do know how to drive one... but just not as well as most of you here. The s2k felt really notchy going into 1st and from 1st to 2nd. But a bit of that is probably my inexperience with a MT.

I will be basically paying same price either car if I factor in the insurance. I haven't had a chance to test drive the Accord because I have yet to find a dealership in Chicago that has one in stock. However, my dealer says he can definitely get a hold of one from a few dealerships that are about 80 - 100 miles from Chicago.

So, I know that i'm posting in a s2k forum but if you guys could try to be somewhat objective and weigh in on which car i should take this would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in my mind the following factors:
-I'm not a sesoned MT driver.
-I live in chicago which just had a total of over 53 inches of snow this past winter.
-I have a really short commute to work - less than 5 miles.
-I want to feel how a true sports car drives

Well that's that and I would deeply appreciate any input you current owners have.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Id say drive both, and see which you like the best.

The accord will be much more comfortable, and a better DD. Its got room for more than 2 people, a bigger drunk, and much more useable power for in-town driving.

The S2000 is definetly not for somebody who needs to have more than one passenger, obviously. Its not as roomy as an accord, and will ride a bit stiffer. However, if you like to take trips out the curvy back roads often, the S is the car for you. they handle very well, and have an engine that loves being pushed hard. It is very much a true sports car. In the snow, id bet it would get a bit hard to control, without the right tires. The transmission is one of the best in the industry, very precise. But it does feel a bit notchy, especially when the fluid temp has not come up to normal temp. You'll go through tires faster on an S as well, as you cant rotate them. Reliabitly will be about the same, as long as you take care of it and drive properly. If your learning to drive a MT, or just honing up your skills a bit, make sure you learn (re-learn) the proper ways to drive them.

All in all, its still gonna be up to you, and you really shouldnt let anybody here make the decision for you. Drive them both, make sure that the one you buy is gonna be able to handle what you need it to do.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunjimmy,Apr 19 2008, 08:25 PM
Id say drive both, and see which you like the best.

The accord will be much more comfortable, and a better DD. Its got room for more than 2 people, a bigger drunk, and much more useable power for in-town driving.

The S2000 is definetly not for somebody who needs to have more than one passenger, obviously. Its not as roomy as an accord, and will ride a bit stiffer. However, if you like to take trips out the curvy back roads often, the S is the car for you. they handle very well, and have an engine that loves being pushed hard. It is very much a true sports car. In the snow, id bet it would get a bit hard to control, without the right tires. The transmission is one of the best in the industry, very precise. But it does feel a bit notchy, especially when the fluid temp has not come up to normal temp. You'll go through tires faster on an S as well, as you cant rotate them. Reliabitly will be about the same, as long as you take care of it and drive properly. If your learning to drive a MT, or just honing up your skills a bit, make sure you learn (re-learn) the proper ways to drive them.

All in all, its still gonna be up to you, and you really shouldnt let anybody here make the decision for you. Drive them both, make sure that the one you buy is gonna be able to handle what you need it to do.

Good luck with the purchase!
Thanks for the info. Yes that choice will ultimately be mine but I just want some insight and guidance.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jimmy summed it up well.

you'll learn.

-I live in chicago which just had a total of over 53 inches of snow this past winter.
you can get around the snow issue--you just have to get dedicated snow tires like blizzaks. as long as you have enough ground clearance you'll be ok. i DD mine in salt lake city, utah. traction control is a BIG plus.

the s2k isnt the fastest car around (it is fast, just not fastest), but it is very rewarding to drive at the limits. it is a true sports car. but since it has to be pushed to be rewarding, on your 5 mile commute all it will do is look pretty until it's warmed up, then you'll pretty much be at work and park it. if thats ALL you want to do, the s2000 would be a poor choice.

if you want a fun sports car, the s2000 fits the bill perfectly. if you get it, get involved in SCCA and take it to the track--get your money's worth. make use of the otherwise uncomfortable stiff suspension and put the top down whenever you can. plan on spending a bit of money on tires and brake pads and have fun with it! if you won't/don't, it's not worth the inconveniences of having a dedicated sports car; you shouldn't buy one--you won't be happy with it.

the accord would be much more comfortable and about as fast on straight roads, so it would be a better choice if comfortable transportation to and from work/etc is what you're after.

also, from what you're considering, the G37 coupe may be worth a test drive. it's the accord coupe with RWD and a bit more power, so more like a GT car--a compromise between the "sports" of the S and the "comfort/convenience" of the accord coupe.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:01 PM

oh dude don't worry. i didn't know how to drive a stick until i bought the s2k. i got it early of this month and i got the hang of it within a week and got better during my 2nd week of driving it.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Great points from previous posts

Anyway, Honda 1st gears are generally a bit more sensitive. But again, you'll be fine if you are patient to learn. Whatever your choice is, good luck!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ace123,Apr 19 2008, 08:56 PM
jimmy summed it up well.

you'll learn.

you can get around the snow issue--you just have to get dedicated snow tires like blizzaks. as long as you have enough ground clearance you'll be ok. i DD mine in salt lake city, utah. traction control is a BIG plus.

the s2k isnt the fastest car around (it is fast, just not fastest), but it is very rewarding to drive at the limits. it is a true sports car. but since it has to be pushed to be rewarding, on your 5 mile commute all it will do is look pretty until it's warmed up, then you'll pretty much be at work and park it. if thats ALL you want to do, the s2000 would be a poor choice.

if you want a fun sports car, the s2000 fits the bill perfectly. if you get it, get involved in SCCA and take it to the track--get your money's worth. make use of the otherwise uncomfortable stiff suspension and put the top down whenever you can. plan on spending a bit of money on tires and brake pads and have fun with it! if you won't/don't, it's not worth the inconveniences of having a dedicated sports car; you shouldn't buy one--you won't be happy with it.

the accord would be much more comfortable and about as fast on straight roads, so it would be a better choice if comfortable transportation to and from work/etc is what you're after.

also, from what you're considering, the G37 coupe may be worth a test drive. it's the accord coupe with RWD and a bit more power, so more like a GT car--a compromise between the "sports" of the S and the "comfort/convenience" of the accord coupe.
That's a 5 mile commute to work... but who said it had to be a 5 mile commute back home - haha. The s2k looks like it would be fun driving it down some of the twists and turns of lakeshore drive in chicago.

So winters will be fine just as long as I change the tires - cool that was one thing i was concerned about. What's a good price on a set of quality snow tires? And let me ask you this, my parking spot leads to an alley which will not get plowed often and since you've spent some winter time with your s2k, let me ask you if plowing through the snow damaged and scratched up the underside of your front bumper? And did you get stuck much in the snow with you s2k and have to ask neighbors to push you out- that would be such a pain especially since i leave for work around 5am and all my neighbors are still snoring away.

thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM

ok... i dont mean to sound harsh. but they're two different cars. i'm gonna get flamed for this but IMO the accord is an old man's car... its more for utility. if you wanna go fast and have fun go with the s2000. you know? listen to your inner kid... pick the sports car but yeah like previously stated, the choice is ultimately yours.

don't kid yourself, you know you want the s2000. thats why you came to the s2000 forums to ask people. you're seeking other people's approval and encouragement of getting the s2000!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Undecided,Apr 19 2008, 11:10 PM
So winters will be fine just as long as I change the tires - cool that was one thing i was concerned about. What's a good price on a set of quality snow tires? And let me ask you this, my parking spot leads to an alley which will not get plowed often and since you've spent some winter time with your s2k, let me ask you if plowing through the snow damaged and scratched up the underside of your front bumper? And did you get stuck much in the snow with you s2k and have to ask neighbors to push you out- that would be such a pain especially since i leave for work around 5am and all my neighbors are still snoring away.
i often take the long way home!

the S has some ground clearance--just look at one and gauge it. i never had any trouble with mine in the winter. never got stuck, no damage, nothing. the front bumper isn't made to be a snow plow, and if you hit ice with it.... well, you'd see it coming and you'd probably deserve whatever happens if you hit ice with the front bumper.

but just look at ground clearance--that will be the biggest thing. snow tires have come a long way in the last 5-10 years.

and i paid $500 for the set of four on AP1 (AP1=2000-2003 model year S2000) rims, so i got tires and rims for that price. that seems to be a bit cheaper than usual.

Quick Reply: Undecided 08 s2k or 08 Accord Coupe ex-l v6 MT