Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Tundra vs. Tacoma
Tundra
52.17%
Tacoma
47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Tundra vs. Tacoma

Old 09-10-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to be big, but if I remember right, something like 235 h.p.? I would want a little more umph. Might wait until the new motor is ready for it.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:40 AM

Yea, it is a little "underpowered" for today's standards (240 hp/315 lb-ft tq), although comparing the 2003 Tundra's V8 to the 2003 Ford's V8, the Tundra is faster in all aspects. Now if you are using a truck for a truck that is a whole different story.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:31 AM

Sorry Gavin...had to go with the Tacoma dude!

It's what I want...you picked the wrong person to vote for you.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a truck. Partly for utility to haul things around town (wheels and tires to get mounted, bicycle, shifter kart, wtc.) and partly to open-trailer the S2000 to track events.

I can't stand trucks, though. Maybe if I had to deal with it only a few times a year I'd be able to stand a proper towing rig like a diesel F250. But it's a waste of money IMO to buy such a vehicle and have it sit around so much of the time. They're too big, heavy, inefficient, difficult to park, and just plain un-fun to drive often.

So I'd want something I could drive everyday in an enjoyable manner. That way I could keep the miles off the S2000 and maybe even strip the interior and weld in a roll cage... In any case, for a daily driver light and small is definitely good. And assuming that a Tacoma S-Runner with the TRD supercharger can handle towing an S2000, I don't see any need to look at any other truck.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Tacoma's my favorite compact pickup on the market and has been pretty much since it came out. Prior to the Tacoma name, however, I STILL would have picked the Toyota over any of the others.

If I were shopping for a full-size it would be because I wanted a SERIOUS pickup and I would probably go with a Ford F150 or F250.

The Tundra is built with typical Toyota durability and quality, but my best friend has one and it just doesn't do anything for me. Too vanilla for my tastes, I guess.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by ltweintz
Sorry Gavin...had to go with the Tacoma dude!

It's what I want...you picked the wrong person to vote for you.

hahahahhahah gavin, whats up now. Luke your the man!!!!

tundra
taco
Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM

Titan is my choice too. Nissan built it to best Ford/GM/Dodge at their best game. It will have the most power and highest towing capacity in the same class as F150, Ram 1500, and Silverado; with far better interior quality, factory bed liner, lighted tail gate, etc... That's what I read in the extended writeup on consumer reports web site.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Former Moderator

I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the styling of the Titan. Leaves me cold in much the same way as the new Maxima and 350Z do (though I like the Altima...go figure... ). That said, the specs for the truck are very impressive and I'll be interested to see a real world test of one.

As for bedliners (not just factory and not just from Nissan), unless they are of the spray-on variety, stay away from them. They don't protect the bed so much as hide the abuse (and rust) from sight. If you've ever had one on a truck and taken it off after a while and looked at the bed of the truck you know what I mean.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:32 PM

hey Brant how have you been it's been a while. If you remember i am gav's roommate in p-town. did youi vote for the taco or what?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Former Moderator

I've been doin' pretty well. Whatcha been up to since HIN Seattle?

I voted for the Taco.

Quick Reply: Tundra vs. Tacoma