Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Traded up

Old 11-21-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GotS?,Nov 21 2004, 01:34 PM
Both of my brothers own Mercedes, and I don't think the one rear light being brighter than the other is an electrical problem. I recall my brother telling me that it's for the autobahn, so people don't come up to you too fast from the rear.

Anyhoo, congrats on the new SLK55. I was going to go test drive the SLK 350, but maybe I should wait for that one.

I test drove the BMW Z4 3.0 w/ SMG yesterday due to the hugh rebate. The sales person told me that MB is doing away with the 4 yr/50k mile FREE maintenance due to the merge w/ Diamler Chrysler. Is that true?
I think that's rear fog light too. most cars in euro have it.

pictures from acura-tsx.com

Old 11-22-2004, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by WtbS2k,Nov 22 2004, 01:46 AM
I think that's rear fog light too. most cars in euro have it.

pictures from acura-tsx.com

In the UK at least (I don't know about all Euro countries) a rear fog light is mandatory equipment on all road vehicles. (I grew up in the UK).

I have a Canadian Spec Audi - which also has the one sided rear fog light.

NS2000X
Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 AM

I have had the comment about the rear tail light before. I say it's a rear fog light, and it obviously got your attention, so I hope it keeps yahoos from rear-ending me.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:46 PM
FRM

Congrats.

What are your impressions of the 7-speed automatic transmission in Comfort, Sport and Manual modes? How do you change between modes?

How long does it take to lower/raise the roof? Can you lower/raise the roof while the car is moving?

Why did you choose the SLK55 over the Corvette C6 auto, BMW M3 SMG and Porsche 997 auto?

Off Topic:

I
Old 11-24-2004, 04:54 AM

Ouch man..that cut me deep.
My comment was only in jest...I'm really curious to know how you like it. I had the 'older' AMG SLK for about a week until reality set in and I accepted the fact that the car was just too small for me. I told myself it was normal for my knees to leave indentations in the dash....
Old 11-24-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ckcrigger,Nov 20 2004, 09:43 PM
My wife and I were driving and we saw what looked like SL tails. But one of the lights was fu(&ed up and steady bright on one side. Got closer and it pulled to the side of the road... White 2005 SLK with temp plates... and already electrical problems.

Lovely looking car and drives well from the reviews... hope the Chrysler influence isn't too strong.... car looks sweet.
It's called 'rear fog lights.' Look it up. There was no electrical problems.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Officer_down,Nov 21 2004, 07:34 PM
Congrats! I don't know how you guys keep managing to get MSRP for new cars, esp. cars in demand. I recently priced a C6 coupe and the dealer was asking $69K for it. MSRP was supposed to be mid-$40's. I mean, I didn't even how to begin to negotiate at that point.

Was yours stickered for like $80K or something, then you negotiated? The markups of new cars in demand are just crazy.

Very sweet car, btw! Looks very expensive too.
Please go to Corvetteforum.com for a supporting dealer that will sell MSRP all day long. Look long enough and you can get under MSRP.

Congrats on the SLK55!! Awesome car, I drove a six-speed SLK350 and it was nice, can't imagine what the AMG V8 feels like in that car!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Yep it's got rear fog lights, must be a german thing. only lights on the drivers side I guess it so people know where to pass. I've found it's great for backing of tailgaters.
I knew you were just poking at me Derryck no offence taken.
One way I wish this car were different though. I wish it had less gizmos. It's fast as hell, and handles about as good as the S, but all the beeps a whistles takes away from the pure sports car feel.
Cheers
Old 11-24-2004, 12:21 PM

The steady bright light on one side is the fog light
Old 11-24-2004, 02:18 PM

FRM
sorry I did'nt see your post earlier
Havent had it out of comfort mode(break in instructions), a little button near the shifter.
About 20 seconds, I don't know I would never drop the top on any car while moving.
Corvette; never been a fan, quality concerns, no hard top conv.
BMW M5: great if you want a real fast car to take the family to the movies or pick up groceries, boreing to look at, only cool cars BMW ever made Z3, Z8, M1.
Porsche: Please can anyone at porsche design a new car. 911 format very old, no hard top conv, highest profit margin of up of any car maker anywhere in the world(i have a problem with that)
Great questions (All are personal opinions of course Please dont take offence if you own one of these)

Thanks
Cheers

Quick Reply: Traded up