Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trade your old Evo in for a new Honda

Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trade your old Evo in for a new Honda

There is talk that Mitsu will pull out of the U.S. market if they're new re-designs don't sell. Smart move financialy perhaps. They need to slim down, get back to basics.

Anyway, if Honda was smart they would quickly develop a new car for all the Evo guys to feed into...and perhaps most of the current S2k owners as well when time comes. After all how much longer can the S2k keep going?

Maybe we'll indeed see a s3ki.com, r2ki.com, r2kpsi.com....etc... Should be fun to see how the future pans out in this arena.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I agree with your marketing plan, but I doubt Honda will cater to those fans, if anything, Subaru should smell blood in the water and unleash a huge attack even if it does cost them a bunch now but will secure a niche in the marketplace. It would be rather weird seeing Honda make an AWD, turbocharged rally car. My dream: Nissan bringing cars like teh Silvia and Pulsar GTI-R to the states . If Nissan had brought the S15 to the states, I'd be driving one of those right now (not implyying that it's a superior car to the S2000, just suits my tastes more and also fits better into my budget and lifestyle).
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM

I think the EVO guys would buy a rwd car like an S2000 only if it had more hp (coming from the mod maddness HP the EVO offers).

Then again who knows, maybe once you go AWD you can't go back?

S2k looks/budget/lightweight luxury with Evo power and awd. I know...I'm dreaming.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,May 30 2006, 08:47 PM
I think the EVO guys would buy a rwd car like an S2000 only if it had more hp (coming from the mod maddness HP the EVO offers).

S2k looks/budget/lightweight luxury with Evo power and awd. I know...I'm dreaming.
lightweight and luxury is an oxymoron.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Seeing how the Evo's sell like hotcakes, why would they pull them from the American market? Maybe they should re-think 18 different SUV models.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,May 30 2006, 12:35 PM
I agree with your marketing plan, but I doubt Honda will cater to those fans, if anything, Subaru should smell blood in the water and unleash a huge attack even if it does cost them a bunch now but will secure a niche in the marketplace. It would be rather weird seeing Honda make an AWD, turbocharged rally car. My dream: Nissan bringing cars like teh Silvia and Pulsar GTI-R to the states . If Nissan had brought the S15 to the states, I'd be driving one of those right now (not implyying that it's a superior car to the S2000, just suits my tastes more and also fits better into my budget and lifestyle).
That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone's dream car being a Nissan.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by aronparsons,May 30 2006, 09:56 PM
Seeing how the Evo's sell like hotcakes, why would they pull them from the American market? Maybe they should re-think 18 different SUV models.
Hotcakes? I think u'll be suprised how many they really sell. It is a cult car in a very niched market after all, not enough to be their bread and butter.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by godai,May 30 2006, 01:35 PM
lightweight and luxury is an oxymoron.
Being lightweight is a luxury nowadays.
It's a play on words and the current market. There is no comma there.

:-)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,May 30 2006, 02:08 PM
That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone's dream car being a Nissan.
Obviously you've never heard from the millions of young ricers who cream their pants at night dreaming about the Skyline's huge wing....

But count me among those who think Honda doesn't care at all about the xx,xxx people a year who buy an Evo/STi. It is just a niche, and since Honda has zero experience so far marketing a turbo, awd sedan (though maybe the RDX is signifying a change...), I don't see it happening. Besides, they'd have to price it at $30k+, and then it becomes an Acura, not a Honda, and has all the luxuries and weight that the Acura name implies. Mitsu and Subaru use the Evo/STi as a way to capitolize on their racing experience, with the WRC. Honda races open-wheel (F1/CART), and (kinda) produces their cars accordingly (S2k, NSX). I don't see that changing.

I DO however, look forward to buying a 2009 2.4T, SH-AWD, 240hp TSX for $35k. But it won't be anything like an Evo challenger, it will be an A4/325ix challenger, and that's fine with me.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm,May 30 2006, 03:47 PM
Been there - RWD is more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Trade your old Evo in for a new Honda