Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota Supra returning (Picture)

Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreapin
^^^^ non confrontational response ^^^^
Hyndai has come a long way since the late '80s early '90s and have done a tremendous job cleaning up there image, as to the quality of there cars I'm not sold just yet, time will tell. My sisters 2001 GMC Jimmy was serviced at the dealer from new and always on time, she is not heavy footed or abusive on cars (like myself) but before the 100,000 mile mark lets see what has been done (what I can remember). Tranny replaced at 70,000 mile, starter swapped out twice, alternator, radio, fuseable links blew a few times (leaving her stranded) the dimmer switch burnt out twice (2nd time it melted the plastic on dash) and I'm sure there is a few more I cant remember.
I had a '99 Chevy Astro High top conversion for a little while, and I replaced similar items as my sister. I spent a lot of my spare time working at PM Motorsports in Queens NY(2001-2004) and Kings Riders in Brooklyn (2004-2006). I grew up working on cars so I use to hang out with my buddies and help whenever they needed. I love BMW's but man they can be a pain in the ass and expensive to repair, I love the VW VR6 engine but electrical issues with the cars will drive you nuts. Some of GM's cars have gotten better but still suffer from similar issues that me and my sisters truck had. I also noticed that with american cars certain parts seem like there built to fail, the starter and alternator ride on copper bushings with grease, this will fail. Japs use bearings.
I can keep going but there is no win here, just my opinion.
Non-confrontational!?! What kind of *** are you! Where in the hell do you get off.... [long winded but biting rant continues. Includes disparaging comments about close relatives, distant relatives and pets you had as a kid, the failures of your elementary school teacher and the local school board. This is followed by threats and the usual personal comments designed to deep six a thread. Target of rant cries]... that should teach you to ever think of spreading your sort of hate around here ever again!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM

I would be happy if Toyota would produce an FR car closely resembling the Supra, in the 350-400hp range. Make small, more modern changes. And keep it in the 40k to 50k range. Why produce a car that the intended audience is going to hate?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM

I really like the GTO and I might convince myself to pick 1 up when I decide to part ways with my s2 but before I do I would have to spend some time at the shop with my mechanic buddies and see what issues the car has as whole.
Not many issues. The car was great at the price point. Relatively nice but simple interior. Not a lot of options. LS2 engine was great and the GTO can see 26 mpg on the highway under ideal conditions. The Tremec T56 manual I had in my Cyclone Grey car was OK but probably the weakest point of the car. It handled the torque fine but 3-2 downshifts left me swearing most of the time. The thing is slow and imprecise. Another annoying thing was CAGS. But that can be eliminated for $15 and a few minutes of your time. The OEM BF Goodrich KDWS's were horrible all season tires. But that is likely not a problem with a used GTO. I put about 36,000 miles on mine in about 3 years and it was perfectly reliable. The only warranty work was a failed instrument cluster but I had it back in one day after the part arrived.

Handling was competent for a 3,800 lb coupe. It was quiet. The back seat was actually usable, comfortable even but, it takes forever for the front power seats to travel forward and then back again. GM really should have given the coupe a mechanical spring loaded slider for the seats. The trunk is only about the size of the S2000 trunk. And finally the looks. The car got little love for its looks. I sort of like the stealth nature of the car. It didn't call much attention to itself.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockville
Non-confrontational!?! What kind of *** are you! Where in the hell do you get off.... [long winded but biting rant continues. Includes disparaging comments about close relatives, distant relatives and pets you had as a kid, the failures of your elementary school teacher and the local school board. This is followed by threats and the usual personal comments designed to deep six a thread. Target of rant cries]... that should teach you to ever think of spreading your sort of hate around here ever again!!!

Considering all the replies before your post I found yours to be polite, direct to the point and lacking any negative comments about me in other words "non confrontational" was actually a compliment to an adult post
Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1336956101' post='21695094

Considering all the replies before your post I found yours to be polite, direct to the point and lacking any negative comments about me in other words "non confrontational" was actually a compliment to an adult post
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep seeing and hearing about new models. In some cases they are ugly, under performimg, or costly. Are we that far out of the loop that we on the fringe... the other 1%?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssm_ap1
I would be happy if Toyota would produce an FR car closely resembling the Supra, in the 350-400hp range. Make small, more modern changes. And keep it in the 40k to 50k range. Why produce a car that the intended audience is going to hate?
I dont think everyone will hate this style.