Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota Supra returning (Picture)

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did yall see the pic of the MR-S in that article?! My god that thing is horrible looking.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by ltswb
Did yall see the pic of the MR-S in that article?! My god that thing is horrible looking.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1336421463' post='21676829
AWD and hybrid...

The Japanese have really lost touch with making pure sports cars huh? Apparently we can get a budget pure sports car (FRS) or insanely expensive exotic pure sports car (LFA) but nothing in between.
Don't fret. There's always the 370Z. Don't forget about the GTR, either. It's not insanely expensive.
pure sports car, as in no electronic gizmos and/or AWD. And the 370Z isn't fit for track duty.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
Originally Posted by ltswb' timestamp='1336447766' post='21678033
The y both look like insects. The MR-S being the offspring. Horrid.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

I thought "baby spyker" with the mr-s. Liked it much more than the "supra"
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrid and AWD drive sounds so thrilling..

Why can't any Japanese automaker just produce a fairly lightweight RWD coupe with a 400 HP V8 priced around $50-60k. Is this too much to ask for?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123

Why can't any Japanese automaker just produce a fairly lightweight RWD coupe with a 400 HP V8 priced around $50-60k. Is this too much to ask for?
Because GM already makes the Corvette and sells less than 20K per year on a platform that shares an engine with their very high-volume pickup truck line (ie, they're making it cheaper than anyone else can)?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Presto123' timestamp='1336500726' post='21679769

Because GM already makes the Corvette and sells less than 20K per year on a platform that shares an engine with their very high-volume pickup truck line (ie, they're making it cheaper than anyone else can)?
Who cares if the Corvette exists? It didnt always share an engine with the truck and its been around for decades. Any car manufacturer has enough funds and resources to do anything they damn well please. It's all about profit and numbers with you and at least two Japanese manufacturers. The only ones that have any cars that are even remotely interesting is Nissan and Mazda. A 560Z shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'm just not interested in a hybrid AWD, overly sophisticated go fast machine. I just want something i can shift myself, has a V8, is reliable, and looks awesome. I guess I'm destined for a Corvette.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123
Who cares if the Corvette exists? It didnt always share an engine with the truck and its been around for decades. Any car manufacturer has enough funds and resources to do anything they damn well please. It's all about profit and numbers with you and at least two Japanese manufacturers. The only ones that have any cars that are even remotely interesting is Nissan and Mazda. A 560Z shouldn't be much of a problem.
Because the business case for the car is already there for everyone to see. It's a simple question of dollars invested vs dollars earned. 20K vehicles on a bespoke chassis is usually not worth it. EVERY manufacturer is about profit and numbers, regardless of what you think. They may throw it away occasionally but that's usually for the sake of throwing it away (halo car like the LFA), not for the sake of trying to make money. They hate nothing more than using money with the intent to make money...and then losing money.

It's interesting that you mention Mazda since Mazda just offered voluntary buyouts to EVERY SINGLE NORTH AMERICAN EMPLOYEE because they're losing money so fast they can't count it. They're restructuring this summer to try and get the North American division back on track to profitability.

A 560Z wouldn't be that tough, probably - the engine is already available to share with a number of other models and the manual transmission would probably be the only new part (differential could come from a number of other vehicles). Not sure if the chassis is up to handling 400 hp but it shouldn't take much more to get it built up a bit.

Really, all you're asking for is a manual transmission - lots of manufacturers make V8 vehicles that are RWD. Most of them are still pretty heavy though...

I'm just not interested in a hybrid AWD, overly sophisticated go fast machine. I just want something i can shift myself, has a V8, is reliable, and looks awesome. I guess I'm destined for a Corvette.
Me either - I prefer simple cars. However, there is still something to be said for cars that can bend the laws of physics with technology. I may not want to own one but I'd definitely love to drive someone elses...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM

a rwd subaru and now a awd supra? the world has gone mad

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra returning (Picture)