Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota Supra GR - 0% Financing!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I'm willing to bet that going the aftermarket cannot provide +47HP for $2,000. Let's not forget this is a factory warranted gain.
The aftermarket can beat that and then some on BMW inline turbo 6's. Easily. It is that warranty part that gets the extra coin.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
The aftermarket can beat that and then some on BMW inline turbo 6's. Easily. It is that warranty part that gets the extra coin.
this is such a disingenuous statement, imo. You can get 47hp+ for an m5 for less than $2k, do you really think this is a good idea? As a percentage it results in an abnormal number of blown engines and at $65k a pop for a new engine...saying it’s less than $2k isn’t factoring in the TCO of aftermarket crap. You know this is true and literally say it on the next statement why say the first statement?

also manufacturers give the warranty with the extra hp because they have calculated, in volume it won’t cost them more in broken things. You know aftermarket companies have no way to do this with their paltry volume.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
this is such a disingenuous statement, imo. You can get 47hp+ for an m5 for less than $2k, do you really think this is a good idea? As a percentage it results in an abnormal number of blown engines and at $65k a pop for a new engine...saying it’s less than $2k isn’t factoring in the TCO of aftermarket crap. You know this is true and literally say it on the next statement why say the first statement?

also manufacturers give the warranty with the extra hp because they have calculated, in volume it won’t cost them more in broken things. You know aftermarket companies have no way to do this with their paltry volume.
How is it disingenuous? The poster was simply counteracting that you can get more than 47 hp for less than $2k. Both acknowledged the warranty aspect.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

The want is strong. These things look fantastic in person. Easily the best looking $50k or less sports car on the market today.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
How is it disingenuous? The poster was simply counteracting that you can get more than 47 hp for less than $2k. Both acknowledged the warranty aspect.

Yeah, I thought that part was pretty clear. I can get an $800 tune on a 4 cylinder Golf R (or GTI) that will give a bit more than 47hp and have been proven reliable all day long. I don't know why the same would not be possible on a 3.0 liter 6 with a couple extra pounds of boost. There are at least half a dozen tuners here and in Germany that specialize in tuning BMW inline 6's. I was not being disingenuous in the least. It was a factual statement.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I thought that part was pretty clear. I can get an $800 tune on a 4 cylinder Golf R (or GTI) that will give a bit more than 47hp and have been proven reliable all day long. I don't know why the same would not be possible on a 3.0 liter 6 with a couple extra pounds of boost. There are at least half a dozen tuners here and in Germany that specialize in tuning BMW inline 6's. I was not being disingenuous in the least. It was a factual statement.
Agreed
Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

For me, +47hp, no fuss about figuring out how to install the parts (or a tune), plus a factory warranty is well worth the +$2,000 on what is considered as a premium car.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My R was quick. It would have definitely hurt some 2020 Supra owner's feelings. I think we'll see some 20's sitting for a while longer and the offers will keep coming. 0% and 10k off? That's even better. Burger Tuning has a JB4 setup for the Supra that adds 80ish Hp. I think that might be worthwhile.

I'm stil waiting for the enthusiast market to tank so I can replace my R with an RS3 though.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Its amazing how many bad decisions they made to piss of enthusiasts. Not a Toyota, no stick, then the ones that supported you, sorry guys thanks for being early adopters, gonna upgrade the engine after one year. Smh.
Didn't Chevy do something similar with the C7? Like massive price drop or something after the 2nd year?

Old 06-04-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
The want is strong. These things look fantastic in person. Easily the best looking $50k or less sports car on the market today.
Agreed. In photos it just doesn't look that good but in person, it's very striking. A guy in a nearby neighbourhood has a dark blue one and it looks fantastic with the darker wheels. Very sexy!

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra GR - 0% Financing!