Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota To Kill Celica, Mr2 Spyder

Old 07-18-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=VTEC_Junkie,Jul 18 2004, 12:34 AM]i think, like someone else had said, toyota's decision to discontinue the celica and mr2 probably has a lot to do with the fact that they have introduced the scion brand, which in many ways compete with cars like the celica and mr2, due to the fact that they are marketed towards similar demographics.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:55 AM

I bet those cars are gonna retain their resale value very well.
Maybe after they kill them....right now, not so much. Just sold my 01 Celica GT last month to get my S...it took almost a month and had to sell it a grand less than private party value. Even though it was the coveted silver color, with auto, moonroof, etc.

It was a fun car at the time...but when I think that a GTS goes for more than I paid for my very low mileage '03 S... Looked the tC, but it's too heavy for the engine...even when supercharged.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:33 AM

I still see celicas everywhere. I'm actually doing my masters thesis on this type of subject. The scion brand is probably going to be a hit. I've seen and heard alot of talk about it from people my age. The scion was designed from inputs from generation Y. It is also def aimed at that segment. The celica was toyotas temp solution to the younger crowd but then you would still see older people driving them and buying.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:34 PM

I'm not surprised to see these two cars go away. I see so few late-model MR2s, I actually see older ones more often.

As far as the celica goes, I personally think they haven't gotten that car right since the '85-'86 changeover. I'm not surprised at all that its sales have declined over the last 18 years. It was only until this latest model that the car was actually a decent proposition for the money you were paying for it.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Jul 18 2004, 06:54 AM
Toyota is quickly becoming the "Buick" of Japan
actually toyota is the number one seller in japan
Old 07-18-2004, 02:42 PM

I don't think he meant the "Buick" remark as means of pointing out how many units they sell. He meant that as more of an observation of the comparative "yawn" factor of Toyota's cars versus those from other houses.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:23 AM

Though they will still be sold in Europe and Japan, it is a sad thing to see such cars leave America. But then again, this is old news. Toyota said from the beginning (1999), apparently most of us hadn
Old 07-19-2004, 12:38 PM

Scion im sure has to do with it. But they cant blow off the Mr2 line, that was a team effort by Lotus and Toyota (for those who didnt know), I suspect even the MKIII was as well as it vaguely resembles the Elise, tho the performance doesnt. The Mr2 T was one of the funnest cars to own and drive, and easy as hell to mod. Wish that tree never jumped in front of me. Ah well atleast theres tomorrow, and I have a s2000 too!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 01:28 PM

If I was Toyota I would dump those cars as well. There is a huge market for affordable high performance cars I.E. Evo, STi, S2000 etc. and Toyota has definitely failed to provide for that market. Just my two cents.

Ryan
Old 07-19-2004, 02:08 PM

Well, someone already mentioned it above, but just for a moment, forget about "Halo" cars, the youth market (Scion) and the unprofitability of performance automobiles.

One question:

Why in the hell would Toyota pour mountains of cash into their Formula One program, and NOT sell a sports car of any kind? PS: the tC is not a sports car.

It feels like there are too many people making the decisions.

Quick Reply: Toyota To Kill Celica, Mr2 Spyder