Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota To Kill Celica, Mr2 Spyder

Old 07-17-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota To Kill Celica, Mr2 Spyder

There's a copyrighted, members-only article at http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=9331, but the gist of it is that the 2005 model year is the last one for both cars -- Celica production will cease in July 2005, and MR2 Spyder production will stop in January 2005.

Both are cool, lightweight cars.

Steve
Old 07-17-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew about the Celica.. but not the MR-2.

Wow, Toyota officially sells zero cars worth my interest.

-Matt
Old 07-17-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a part of their process to make the largest SUV only autmobile line up.

I can see why they are killing off the celica though, its an old design and its for a younger buyer. Scion is for younger buyers and the new Scion TC with optional TRD supercharger is less then a celica. They are also sold on the same lot most places so Celica sales would continue to drop. Plus the restyling update they did to the current celica is horrible.

The MR2 is a sad story. They should let it go out on a bang and give it a real engine. Celica GTS motor in that thing would make one nice roadster.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:24 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Corolla is getting the Celica engine (option) and the tC scion is a better all around car for less money. Might be a hard sell when the tC is sitting in the same showroom, how can you justify the price difference for the Celica?

The MR-2 is a nice car, but it's not a big seller.

Toyota is making money and cars like the Supra and MR-2 etc... are not worth the bother if they are only selling 500/month.

Old 07-17-2004, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Jul 17 2004, 08:18 PM
This is just a part of their process to make the largest SUV only autmobile line up.

I can see why they are killing off the celica though, its an old design and its for a younger buyer. Scion is for younger buyers and the new Scion TC with optional TRD supercharger is less then a celica. They are also sold on the same lot most places so Celica sales would continue to drop. Plus the restyling update they did to the current celica is horrible.

The MR2 is a sad story. They should let it go out on a bang and give it a real engine. Celica GTS motor in that thing would make one nice roadster.
I agree...it's unfortunate but it's the best way for them to make money. I will be sad to see the MR2 go; I had a first generation back in the day and loved it.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Jul 17 2004, 05:18 PM
Well Toyota sells more cars than SUVs. They sell 12 cars:

Avalon
camry
solara
cellica
corolla
echo
prius
MR-2
Matrix
Scion (x3)
Old 07-17-2004, 07:23 PM

I was hoping I'd open this thread to hear, "The Celica and MR2 will cease production in 2005, BUT the Supra will return in 2006."
Old 07-17-2004, 08:07 PM

They must be doing something right They are the #1 Japense auto maker and I think 2nd in the world? Money is not made by sports car but practical every day cars full of quality and reliability. That is how they got to #1. They probably don't ever need another sports car now.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:37 PM

The celica is an awesome car...I'm gonna miss that one for sure. I bet those cars are gonna retain their resale value very well. However, i don't think the celica did very well against its battle with Honda. Integra and RSX killed it, hehe.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 17 2004, 09:07 PM
They must be doing something right They are the #1 Japense auto maker and I think 2nd in the world? Money is not made by sports car but practical every day cars full of quality and reliability. That is how they got to #1. They probably don't ever need another sports car now.
toyota is the richest car company in the world i think. why can't they just bring back something like a supra?

Quick Reply: Toyota To Kill Celica, Mr2 Spyder