Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota CEO apologizes again, leaves in Audi

Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs down Toyota CEO apologizes again, leaves in Audi

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-ceo-a...tory?id=9700622

So Akio Toyoda apologized again for the huge problems with its cars, and then is seen driving off in an Audi?

First, I find it ironic that it was an Audi, the marque accused falsely of having cars with fals acceleration back in the late 80s, that he was seen leaving in. Second, if you're the CEO of Toyota, shouldn't you be in your own product?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

He should have driven off in the F&F Supra.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's a car enthusiast?

Plus, wasn't the production of the accelerators before he became the CEO?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 PM

Still should drive Toyota.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he borrowed the car from a friend because he had to ground his Toyota due to the recall

But seriously, he was in Switzerland:
Toyoda had been attending the economic conference with other corporate and government leaders this week,
Funny how the article doesn't say whether he was driving or being chauffeured, which was most likely the case. I'm sure he drives or is driven around in a Toyota in his home country.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Didn't Audi's have at one time the sticking throttle too? Ironic.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have been smarter move than what may initially be seen by the casual observer.

In other words, the choice may have been deliberate.

Driving the Audi could be a subtle way of reminding us of the outcome of the Audi fiasco back in the 1980's.

At that time, 60 minutes ran the story that claimed of unexplained acceleration when the reverse gear was engaged, only later to find out that there was no evidence to support the claim against Audi (nor could it be reproduced). However, the damage was done and the lesser remembered apology/retraction by 60 minutes did nothing to change the minds of millions that watched the original show when it aired.

Mr. Toyota may have pulled a genius move (to show how the press is doing it again with their cars) or it may have just been coincidence.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClean,Jan 30 2010, 10:39 PM
It may have been smarter move than what may initially be seen by the casual observer.

In other words, the choice may have been deliberate.

Driving the Audi could be a subtle way of reminding us of the outcome of the Audi fiasco back in the 1980's.

At that time, 60 minutes ran the story that claimed of unexplained acceleration when the reverse gear was engaged, only later to find out that there was no evidence to support the claim against Audi (nor could it be reproduced). However, the damage was done and the lesser remembered apology/retraction by 60 minutes did nothing to change the minds of millions that watched the original show when it aired.

Mr. Toyota may have pulled a genius move (to show how the press is doing it again with their cars) or it may have just been coincidence.

You could be right. Except that I'd guess more of the public remembers the problem with Audi than they do the exoneration (if they remember it at all). If I had to bet, I'd say it just happened to be the car he was being driven around in.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbehney,Jan 30 2010, 10:48 PM

You could be right. Except that I'd guess more of the public remembers the problem with Audi than they do the exoneration (if they remember it at all). If I had to bet, I'd say it just happened to be the car he was being driven around in.
Yeah, I know what your saying and if I was going to put money on the situation, it would be this was a coincidence.

However, it was entertaining to think of the alternative.

Quick Reply: Toyota CEO apologizes again, leaves in Audi