Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

topless awkwardness at lights

Old 05-23-2002, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default topless awkwardness at lights

does anyone here keep a visual beeline straight ahead when at a light. I feel awkward looking around at other people when at a light. I turn my music down and I can almost feel the eyes moving over me. i might turn my head and wave but I kind of develop tunnel vision at lights. A little part of me does not want the attention, but that person is beat to death by my topless demon who will always win. Also, this occurs 99% in daylight.
At night, with Diana Krall singing to me, I don't care who sees me. In fact, I am on a rare occasion accompanied by a person in an adjacent vehicle.

I know that I should not care what others think. Anyone else exhibit stoplight bashfulness?

Miata
Old 05-24-2002, 04:51 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

When I first got my S2000, some of my dad's friends would see me and I'd never look at them (not that I would have recognized them anyway) or anything because of the same bashfulness you describe. Of course I was usually described as being stuck-up. After a year, I've realized I don't care , so I'll just look at whoever/whatever is around me.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:57 AM

It's good to look around. Many people will smile and give you the Once in a while you may notice a friend or make a new one Although, I must say, most of the time I'm hunkered down or stretching to see the traffic light since the window frame is usually blocking my vision.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:57 AM

Yep. I'm one of those. There's just something about being out there for everyone to see that makes me a little uncomfortable. Just remember, they're staring at the car, not you. If they're interested in the car and ask about it, I'm more than happy to tell them about it. Keep on truckin'.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:58 AM

I know what you mean. I didn't have my top down for the first two weeks since I got my S2000. After that top down every chance I get...although, sometimes I just want to be "faceless" and put up the top all day long.

I do turn down music when my top's down as well. I think the quick MUTE button is exactly for that purpose. Especially for me with my angry German industrial rock music and all...it's kinda hard to blast the volume up when two 4 year-old kids strapped on their child-safety-seats (facing YOU) are waving/smiling at you .

But in all seriousness, it does help to be aware of what's going on around you. Just yesterday, I was in front of railroad stop. I hear the train coming. I slow down stop. I hear the guy behind me honking at me. wTf?! Then I saw the BAR coming down on me! I move slightly forward...saved few hundred bucks right there (possibly my NECK!). Gave the guy two thumbs up ! He could have just watch me die or my S2000 be destroyed but he didn't. So next time you are at a stop, try stay "connected" with what's around you. You never know.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:06 AM

At first, I thought your thread was about the windshield frame blocking the view of traffic lights. Just yesterday, I was the first car at an intersection and saw the light go red, so I just sat there not realizing I had the green arrow to turn left. A pretty blonde in a new Civic beeped her horn at me to get going. Boy did I feel like an idiot.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:12 AM

It was because of the top of the windshield that I misjudged where I was in relation to the railroad stop. I have noticed myself trying to look OVER the top of the windshield just to see if the lights turned green...strange. I've never done that before in my Prelude. I suppose if the seats were lower it would help? I can kinda see how this can be a "safety issue" for Honda.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have that windshield problem since I am only 5'8" or so. About looking around you when stopped with the top down. I sometimes look and sometimes just look straight. I think with the top down it gives you a chance to be friendly

I don't know about you guys but I am just more friendly when I am in the S, unless it is some hick who asking me what the heck is that car. I just tell them it is HONDA Powered and drive off.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

I tend to mute or turn down the stereo a bit at lights too. One of the best aspects of a convertible is being able to actually hear what's going on around you - listening for sirens (police/fire/ambulance), trains, etc. I've pissed off my share of people because I could hear a siren coming towards the intersection so I would just sit there. The person behind me will get pissed off, but when the fire truck or ambulance drives by they appreciate it. Another benefit of muting is being able to hear what other people are saying - it's so funny some times! People have no idea how little they are isolated.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:17 AM

One other thing I've found when you're topless, people just start talking to you ! It's always about the car ........ which BMW model is this ? It's a WHAT ??? You're kidding RIGHT!

Quick Reply: topless awkwardness at lights