Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA Canned

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

My wife does not care about cars. My wife just sees them as an appliance. She thinks car shows are dumb.

My wife likes Top Gear. I watch and she "pretends to read her magazine, but she is always watching and laughing along at all the jokes.

If they want to show a Top Gear show here in America, just run a bunch of promotion on NBC or whatever that the British sensation is coming to US television and trust that the show's appeal will be a hit. I think the British version and the british hosts would be a hit here. The only change I would make is that you would have to mix in some US celebs driving around the top gear track, and when you have these british celebs come in for the interview and their lap, give us a little more background as to who they are. Otherwise the show is entertaining, and not just to car people, but the average non car person as well.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are plenty of Americans who get it. I just think we're outnumbered. It's not just car people who get top gear either. My wife likes top gear as well, and she could care less about cars. She could still laugh at watching three odd balls trying to build amphibious cars and setting things on fire.
Adam Carolla would have been good, but I had serious doubts about Tanner Foust. I've seen some of his stuff on Speed Channel, and it was like a 30min car commercial. No criticism. No put downs. In short, none of the stuff top gear fans tune in for.
Jay Leno wrote in the Times how Top Gear would be difficult on commercial, rather than public, television because the presenters could never slam a car made by a sponsor. I think he was right.
In an ideal world, we would have an car enthusiast channel. It would have top gear usa and uk, F-1 racing, touring car from all over the world, and WRC races. We had that years ago. It was called speedvision (minus the top gear of course). Now we have speed channel, and that means NASCAR, drag racing, shows about putting chrome wheels on Lamborghinis, and a reality show about tow truck drivers. For people who drive high-tech rear wheel drive sports cars, this is absurd. But I think we are in the minority.
-James
ps... If anyone wants to start a real enthusiasts' channel, I'm willing to help in any way that I can. I'll start by seeing of troybuilt mowers is still in business.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Feb 7 2009, 05:37 PM
Leno'd be better than Carolla, but how much better I don't know. He's rather low keyed.

We need someone who's a nut and not afraid to just say it like it is.
Hey, btw, anyone remember the Superbowl Leno ad?

Leno in a Cobra, driving, and the only info in the slot is 10 pm, 9 central. He's leaving the Tonight Show, NBC penned a deal to keep him at NBC, Leno passed on TG USA, and then NBC passed on it.

Just stringing things together in a way that points to NBC coming out with a new Leno show - maybe a car show? 10 pm is kind of late, but allows him more FCC freedom than prime time.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 AM

My wife and i both love Top Gear... I even got to be a member of the audience when i was stationed in England from 05-07. The only improvement i think i would like to see on Top Gear is some more well-known celebs for the "Stars in a reasonably priced car" bit.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 AM

I also think Clarkson is exactly right, but not because Americans don't understand cars. I don't even think he was saying that though. He was saying the show wouldn't work here because of the nature of the audience. That, and there's no auto show here that could appropriately set the stage for a show like Topgear. There was never a major national auto TV show people loved as much as a primetime show, and would clamor for a new one. And even though Topgear is a different kind of greatness, I think you still have to be a pretty heavy car enthusiast to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Maybe that's just me, but that's what it seems to me. It's nearly bombastic a show enough to sway some non-autoheads, but to a lot of people enthusiasm for cars may still seem a bit too niche still to demand their attention. The marketing campaign would have to be very unique, just for starters.

And this is all assuming the show didn't get absolutely mangled and watered down to appease the audience. Don't forget that part. Even if it did come here, it'd be riddled with commercials, sponsors would look at the producers cross-eyed when they found out that no car parts or tools would be used during the show on the cars, etc. The show would be about how companies make money off of it, than it would be about enjoying cars, period. And the money mindset doesn't always improve things...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Feb 6 2009, 05:28 PM
Hello, and welcome to...Motorweek.

Today we'll be examining the classic five liter muscle V8 in Ford's Iconic and famous Mustang. We'll be smelling the cylinder linings and feeling the orange peel with our tongues.

Stay tuned, don't change that dial and enjoy these wonderful moving pictures of us driving these road going American muscle touring cars at 15mph. If you stick around, you'll even get to see our intern get in and out of the car.

No, no skimpy dressed fine American college women here. We'll have Bob the geeky intern show you the Ins, and the outs of every thread sewn in the interior. You'll watch as he attempts to show you unimportant things of this exciting car. Bob also films the fantastic zoom in and zoom out effects while playing 80s techno because we that you know, that I know you'll be playing it in the vehicle for years to come.

So come with me, hop inside and lets get excited!

Don't forget about That Jessica Chocksey...Could they have made it even more obvious that they threw a journalist in front of a camera. She has no depth and no interest in what she reads. She actually makes things boring with her attitude. Everything is one singe vocal tone. Antuanette Crosby should just read both segments, Gear and auto news. They should have Chocksey continue being a journalist and get her off the camera ASAP.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The raeson it was canned was because Simpson couldn't make a XXXXL fire suit for Larry the Cableguy who was going to be the American version of The Pig............oops I mean Stig
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Gear USA getting the axe? Proof that God exists and loves us greatly. I guarantee if it did go through, it wouldn't hold a candle to the real thing.

The bigger issue: The majority of the population here would have no appreciation for such a show. What the hell do most people in this country care about the finer aspects of the driving Nirvana that is an F430 Scuderia? The majority want something sensible and practical like they're buying just another appliance.

Top Gear USA would be most effective as a 30-60 second commercial: which car has the most cupholders, which car is easiest to waddle into for our ever-increasing obese and morbidly obese (gotta love that title) demographic, and what gun rack goes best on your Dodge.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Top Gear is to cars what Mythbusters is to science. Hugely entertaining, a great spectacle, and often you learn something - but it's not exactly a peer-reviewed journal article (or in Top Gear's situation, an objective car review to base your next purchase on.) And yet, Mythbusters is doing very well.

So just like Mythbusters, I think a properly done American Top Gear could do quite well despite how much America "doesn't get" science or cars. It simply would have depended on the hosts and their chemistry.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 AM

I kind of agree with the above, but the problem is censorship and the american sense of humour.

I love america and most americans, but it's hard to forget when you are young and being patronised by a fat american at an english tourist resoort, and he says to you 'I heard you english don't understand sarcasm, isn't that right'? I (aged 14) replied 'Nooooo, we don't understand sarcasm AT ALL!!!'. 'Yeh, I thought so' said the fat american. I mean WTF????? I know not all americans are like that, but I find you are very polarised. There are no average or normal people, only real, and I mean REAL dumbasses, or frighteningly clever people, nothing in the middle. I've spent plenty of time in the US, though never on the West coast, these opinions are based on experience, but please don't take it as criticism, we all have our faults, it's just an observation, and a classic case in point of what Jezza is saying. I would LOVE to live in the US myself (I like Miami), but look at the ignorance shown in the comments on that video. It's funny how arguing the point, has made it pointedly and obviously correct.

As for censorship... consider that we are a bit more liberal than you guys in terms of what can be shown or discussed on 'primetime'. Consider then that Jezza walks the line almost every show. IF the US top gear followed the same format of doing a few outrageous things, and saying a few outrageous things, the backlash in the US would be monumental. Not to mention that the car makers would make sure that honesty took a back seat to financial requirements. Sure the UK auto suppliers piss and moan, but, bottom line, there's jack they can do about it. Not so in the US.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA Canned