Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA Canned

Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Feb 6 2009, 10:36 AM
All Americans know about cars is Nascrap.

5th Gear is a better show anyway.

Warren
Top Gear is far better entertainment than Fifth Gear will ever hope to be. Proof of this, is Youtube, and similar such video clip viewing services, including the Fifth Gear website. You can watch an entire episode of Fifth Gear in individual clips, hell you could even slap things from different seasons together, and it would seem like that was what the show was, an internet clip show. You do that with Top Gear and you won't even get half of what they've said.

And as far as content proof goes...for fifth gear you have shit like changing a headlight bulb in a renault megane (for those that don't know, this is like a 10 minute segment, no joke). For Top Gear, you've got stuff like Clarkson crashing a semi through a brick wall, for the hell of it.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I like Clarkson but damn. I couldn't care less is what he said about auto mfr's. Wow.

And some of us do get it
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one point you may not have considered, which show was the test audience watching, Top Gear UK or the new and improved Top Gear US?

I don't think I'd ever "get it" either with the Adam Carolla as a host.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Feb 6 2009, 05:28 PM
Hello, and welcome to...Motorweek.

Today we'll be examining the classic five liter muscle V8 in Ford's Iconic and famous Mustang. We'll be smelling the cylinder linings and feeling the orange peel with our tongues.

Stay tuned, don't change that dial and enjoy these wonderful moving pictures of us driving these road going American muscle touring cars at 15mph. If you stick around, you'll even get to see our intern get in and out of the car.

No, no skimpy dressed fine American college women here. We'll have Bob the geeky intern show you the Ins, and the outs of every thread sewn in the interior. You'll watch as he attempts to show you unimportant things of this exciting car. Bob also films the fantastic zoom in and zoom out effects while playing 80s techno because we that you know, that I know you'll be playing it in the vehicle for years to come.

So come with me, hop inside and lets get excited!

LMAO!!! That was great.

I'm glad they canned it. I cant stand Adam Corolla. Couldnt they find a guy with a last name not associated the ''plain white bread" of the car world?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Maybe the Americans that do get it would rather watch the UK version even if TGUSA was a network televised alternative.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ike 2.2,Feb 6 2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe the Americans that do get it would rather watch the UK version even if TGUSA was a network televised alternative.
I love topgear uk. I have seen every ep, most more than once. As well as all of clarkson's specials. I think topgear au isnt very good and i dont think top gear us would have been any good either. Its less the show and more the three hosts...

I get the humor of topgear uk and I know about cars..

Oh, I have never been out of the U.S.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Spot on, american consumers are quite uneducated.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA,Feb 6 2009, 10:14 AM
Clarkson is dead on
it is sad but true most americans know nothing about cars.
While there are many of us here that watch topgear on the internets ( ) every chance we get. That just wouldnt be enough to support it.
What's truly sad about this is that my girlfriend doesn't know a thing about the mechanics, engineering, or theory of automobiles.

But you know what? She loves Top Gear!

The great thing about Top Gear is that it doesn't give numbers or comparisons. It's just 3 idiots with really fast, really expensive cars driving them like we wish we could.

And occasionally they blow stuff up.

My suspicion is that most of the people who would enjoy Top Gear already have access to it in some form, so there probably isn't a huge additional demand.

That said, imagine Jay Leno as Clarkson, and build a cast around that. Tell them it can't be informative, and no instrumented testing of any kind. Just get great and crappy cars together and see what stupid things you can do with them.

I'd watch it just out of morbid curiosity!!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leno'd be better than Carolla, but how much better I don't know. He's rather low keyed.

We need someone who's a nut and not afraid to just say it like it is.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 PM

guess its back to youtube or BBC, the show is one of the most hysterical shows ever produced but Americans dont understand british humor at all. Fail.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA Canned