Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that too many people have unrealistic expectations with this show. You expect the first episode of this show to have the same quality and chemistry of a show that has been on for 8 years!

You have to give the show and the hosts time to jive with one another. If you want to compare this episode to anything, look at the first episode of Top Gear from 2002. Heck, even the producer of the UK show said the first few seasons were garbage.

The real question isn't whether this show can be good- it is whether US audiences have the patience to let it grow and develop.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm tired of every time I go to watch something car related on TV its nascar. I think the show needs some time but it will eventually be good.

Would you guys rather watch NASCAR?
I used to think I had to watch nascar shows on speed all the time because there were no other shows, but really its because every time there is a show that isn't about nascar, all of us stick our noses in the air at it and talk about how we would rather have nothing at all, or they suck, or the brits do it better. Geez we sound arrogant.

Please. I invite a show like this and hope it gets TONS of ratings so that other shows will follow. Maybe even better shows How do you think NASCAR got so big?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay Leno's garage is WAY BETTER than this. They should just air that instead. Videography was poor and the hosts are even worse. The reason why this gets compared to the british show is b/c they copied damn near everything.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show was more or less what I expected it to be. It's green, it's a little rough, it's not as good as TG UK, but it was also entertaining. Overall, watchable enough to look forward to future episodes.

The hosts weren't great but did a passable job for their first effort. Tanner was actually pretty good, which figures because he also has the most experience. Kind of a nice change of pace from the UK show with him walking in as an accomplished driver already. I didn't mind the fat guy either, he had some good self-deprecating humor. I thought Ferrera was the weakest, he seemed the most nervous which runs in contrast with what I take to be his shtick as the guy's guy. Carolla would have been great here, too bad about that. We'll see how they develop over the next few episodes.

The cinematography was a mixed bag- half the shots looked really good, the other half looked like it was produced for YouTube. They made the cars look excellent however, and it was more the b-roll stuff that was amateurish. This is definitely the difference in budget from the UK show peeking through. Oh well, it's unsettling but not a deal breaker.

Low points for me were that they copied the car vs. gun ship concept, and that they felt the need to spell out how every segment worked. I guess they did that for the "Iceroad Truckers" viewers, and at least they got it out of the way so the next ep should be a little less awkward.

On the positives, I like their track, and I genuinely enjoyed the Lambo segment. I actually liked their commentary, and found their challenge interesting since they turned it into a drivers race (we already know how the cars stack up on paper). I didn't watch the Buzz Aldren interview because I find him extremely creepy, but I am looking forward the Star segment since I might I actually know who these guests are. (Other than the occasional Mark Whalberg-type appearance on TG UK).

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Nov 22 2010, 03:25 AM
Seriously, you guys sound like a bunch of Trekkies. Top Gear- serious business.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, I watched the show without being bias, and genuinely I think for the first episode it's pretty darn good.

Also, I don't understand why everyone is hating on Tanner so much, if anything you guys should be happy he is there, as he is the only one who knows how to drive and knows the cars inside and out.
It actually got me mad when the other two were mocking him for loosing, (i know they were joking)

But he took the slowest of the three cars and came damn close to the murci and the superleggera, just shows that he is a much better driver and if given equal cars he would smoke the other two.

I hope Tanner is here to stay, the other two can definitely be replaced with something more exciting.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 AM

Have it on DVR yet to watch. I'm going in not comparing it to the UK version though. Different audience they are catering to.

I'm not a big fan of the host choices from what I have seen, but I imagine chemistry takes some time to occur. I think there could have been better choices, but perhaps with the budget they have to start with, it was the best they could do.

I'll try to watch tonight and give my thoughts on it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Sponsor
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Its no UK TG, but it was decent for the first episode.

I bet you compare the first UK TG episode to its 15th series, you would be saying the same thing.

Im watching he rest of the season for sure, hoping it improves. Yall will be DVRing it too.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Hehe; "It's not good compared to the Original Top Gear."; "I don't like how it's so similar to the Original Top Gear."

Which is it guys? I agree that they definitely skimped on the hosts. I think this is a show that Tanner Faust can grow into, but the others are *so far* not for me.

I'll most likely enjoy watching it until it's dropped.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mother,Nov 21 2010, 07:26 PM
Even the narration during the lap was garbage... There's just no excitement or enthusiasm at all for what they are doing or trying to do.

They're all so dull and lame
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Nov 21 2010, 09:19 PM
The hosts are fags, big surprised there. Plenty of us called that quite some time ago.

I'd love to see the real Top Gear hosts call them out next season for being such crap.
Yeah I saw the thread about how they got it right and all, but good lord was that horrible.

First, NONE of the three hosts has ANY personality. Tanner Faust? Could they not see he was a cardboard cutout in his other lame show?

The fat guy just giggling in the Viper and uttering something stupid every few seconds was annoying.

The photography and the editing were nowhere close to the original and they just appeared awkward in front of the live crowd who looked like they were being made to applaud at gun point.

I thought it sucked rhino. I think either people are trying to hard to apologize for the show or are too easily entertained. It is not anywhere near as good as the original. The genius of the original comes in good part to the chemistry of the hosts, this show has none.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA!!!