Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not trying to start a fight. I was just pointing out that you were basing your opinion on a falsehood. You said that the Stig was a person, when he's not. James May is a person. If the US version had someone named James May, then your point would be true. The Stig is a character. A person plays the Stig, but he is still a character. And an integral part of the show. If he wasn't on the show, 90% of the posts would be bitching about his absence.

That being said, the way they introduce him is horrible. The UK version does a great job of creating a sense of mystery, humor, and sinister personality. The US version treats him like a faceless intern. The Stig has a worldwide cult following, and all these guys can do is say "And here's our silent race car driver." Its awful.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ltswb,Dec 15 2010, 07:34 PM

That being said, the way they introduce him is horrible. The UK version does a great job of creating a sense of mystery, humor, and sinister personality. The US version treats him like a faceless intern. The Stig has a worldwide cult following, and all these guys can do is say "And here's our silent race car driver." Its awful.
I think if they tried to do the same type of "some say he... " lines, they wouldn't be as funny and it would come off as lame.

I still wish they just made their own faceless racecar driver.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Dec 14 2010, 12:23 AM
Are you a grownup?
i'm not the one aruging about wether the american stig should be named stig or not...
Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Another episode, another improvement. Basically the TG UK Season 10 episode about Leyland (even with the tossing of the radio/stopwatch), but with an American take. I am FINALLY seeing some synergy among the hosts with the GM episode, and some funny joked from Tanner and Ferrara. Good one lines, even from Rutledge.

News was better, still choppy. And like 1 minute long.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Dec 20 2010, 05:27 PM] ...

News was better, still choppy.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 20 2010, 05:27 PM
Another episode, another improvement. Basically the TG UK Season 10 episode about Leyland (even with the tossing of the radio/stopwatch), but with an American take. I am FINALLY seeing some synergy among the hosts with the GM episode, and some funny joked from Tanner and Ferrara. Good one lines, even from Rutledge.

*Spoiler*

That part with the water, was hilarious. Rutledge's and Ferrara's cars leaning that low was hysterical.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 20 2010, 05:27 PM

totally - improving in big steps each week.
I found the scene where the three of them showed up with their car selections extremely amusing...especially the interchange between tanner and ferrara.
Ferrara is really starting to grow on me...he was SO not funny the first two-three episodes, but now I can actually see how he might pay his rent as a comedian.

I also liked how they aren't afraid to rip on GM build quality and on the SLS. That rocks. That is one thing that would ruin the show - if they have to kiss sponsor ass.

The challenge was ridiculous which I think is great...

What is going to make this show great for me, much like the UK version, is the dialogue, the cinematography, and the general stupidity of the challenges.
They seem to have a handle on the stupidity, the cinematography isn't at UK levels but overall pretty good I think, and the dialogue is hugely improved since eipisode 1.

Crossing my fingers this thing makes it long enough to become an institution.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 AM

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

These "pick a car" challenges really help to show the audience who they are as individuals and puts them in scenarios where they can build their car up while ragging on the other guys- perfect for chemistry.

The news bit was a bit rushed, but I am liking the "Star in a Small Car" segment more and more. The first one with Buzz fell flat, but every one since then has been pretty good.

Another thing I also like- they are letting these guys travel to film shows. They aren't anchoring them to where they can only film around the studio (CA I think).

They have been in the South, now Detroit and their destination for next week looks pretty awesome as well (I won't give it away).

I can't say much else other than I am very happy with where this show is heading.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM

*some spoilers I guess*

I'm at the 20 minute mark and cracking up @ the GM car bit so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for. The cups spilling in tanner's car killed me

The best part about this is that it's very similar to an episode or two of the UK version, but with American cars that we all recognize. Fiero and roadmaster battling it out... Even though top gear UK is always hilarious, it's nice to see cars I actually know... as opposed to cars that were never even sold in the states.

This show has definite promise. I still think Ferrara is pretty weak, but hopefully he'll improve.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 PM

I watched the first two episodes on the Comcast ondemand, and I found myself enjoying the show more than I anticipated.
I still like the original British TG more, but the TG USA ain't bad either!
I'll keep watching all the episodes.

Dan

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA!!!