Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltswb,Dec 8 2010, 11:59 PM
I don't care for Mustangs, and the one they had on the show was pretty gaudy. But the sound of that engine made me start looking for my check book.
I don't care much for Mustang's either. However, I test-drove a 5.0 last weekend. While it won't meet our needs for our next car, I told my g/f she needed to take one for a spin. She wasn't interested until she heard the sound of the Boss on TG.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Dec 9 2010, 08:18 AM
I don't care much for Mustang's either. However, I test-drove a 5.0 last weekend. While it won't meet our needs for our next car, I told my g/f she needed to take one for a spin. She wasn't interested until she heard the sound of the Boss on TG.
that thing did sound sick. I'm not a mustang guy but I have to say with less in-your-face paint, some classy wheels and what not, it would be pretty damn nice.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM

I was as skeptical as most when the show started, but as far as American TV goes, this show aint half bad. It needs some refining for sure, but most of it is stuff that needs to be combed out over time. I'll keep watching as long as its on and hopefully they keep getting better.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth Noisewater,Dec 9 2010, 01:58 PM
skeptical
lol... a skeptical testicle.

Say hi to James Westfall for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Tanner Foust has really improved his acting and narrating. He used to sound exactly as if he were a script word for word. He's actually got a good personality going now.

As for the other two, meh is all I can say.

I'll watch it if I see it on, or there's nothing else on. As far as car shows go, it's better than most.

Even my gf who has only only half (probably a quarter) paid attention when I watch Top Gear UK says that Top Gear USA isn't NEARLY as good and that they try too hard to be funny and fail.

Videography and production value is poorer than I thought it'd be.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM

To me, the big dude is the wildcard... he'll bust out with the funniest lines, but it's usually the stuff said under his breath. Then he'll say something that sounds really awkward and scripted.

I didn't like that they called their racecar driver the stig... why not use a different name? Or call him American Stig? He's not the same guy, he's not the stig.

Like somebody else said, I wish they wouldn't borrow lines from the british version, but I understand why they do it.. most americans haven't seen it and the lines are good.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Someone apparently didn't get the memo that THE ENTIRE SHOW WAS SOLD AS *TOP GEAR* >ONLY IN AMERICA< LIKE A FRIGGING BURGER KING FRANCHISE. WHAT ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO CALL THAT GUY IN THE WHITE RACING SUIT BUT WHAT THEY CALL HIM ON THE SHOW THAT SOLD ITSELF AS A SUCCESSFUL FRANCHISE?? IT'S NOT LIKE SOME USA PRODUCER JUST STOLE THE CONCEPT AND COPIED EVERYTHING. THE PEOPLE AT BBC ACTIVELY SHOPPED IT AROUND AND FOUND A NETWORK IN THE USA WILLING TO FUND IT >IT"S NOT A COPY< IT'S A FRANCHISE. EVERYTHING THAT IS THE SAME AS THE UK VERSION IS TO MAKE YOU THINK OF THE UK VERSION IN HOPES THAT MAKES YOU WATCH IT. WOULD KIND OF DEFEAT THE WHOLE PURPOSE IF THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING FOR USA AUDIENCES. BESIDES THE WHOLE POINT OF THE STIG IS YOU DON"T KNOW WHO HE IS SO HOW DO YOU KNOW HE ISN'T LIKE A RACECAR SANTA AND REALLY IS THE SAME GUY. STIG WOULD HAVE TIME TO DO BOTH SHOWS - IT"S NOT LIKE THEY BROADCAST THE SHOW LIVE. THEY SHOW HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SEASON ON THE VERY FIRST SHOW OPENER, AND THE "NEWS" DATES FROM MIDSUMMER.

I suppose you're kinda turned off that McDonald's in Scotland don't say "MacDonald's," huh?

Sorry about the caps, it's just you're the 9 millionth person to question the similarities to UK Top Gear. It's not you, it's me.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm fine with the similarities in concept and I understand all of what you're saying, but the stig is a guy and it's not the same guy, so why not give him a different name. They don't call the hosts by the british guys names.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^you are both being a bit ridiculous. whether the racing driver is named 'The Stig' or not really has nothing to do with the show being good or not...so let's just stop talking about. kthxbye.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Dec 11 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm fine with the similarities in concept and I understand all of what you're saying, but the stig is a guy and it's not the same guy, so why not give him a different name. They don't call the hosts by the british guys names.
Actually, the Stig has been at least 5 guys, so your whole premise is wrong. The Stig is a character. Different people play the same character all the time. 2 Darrens on Bewitched, 2 Dumbeldores on Harry Potter, 18 different Batmans-Robbins- Jokers- and Catwomen, etc. Whenever someone does Shakespeare, they don't change all the characters' names because there are different actors.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA!!!