Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not bad episode #2, entertaining on its own...sure it is a copy /clone of the britishish show but it does entertain me...so i am in.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Mitsubishi builds stuff. Lots of stuff. Like things and stuff."

C'mon, Tanner...this is the WRITTEN part of the show.

Better 2nd week, for sure.
Hope it keeps getting better.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Who saw the third show?

They finally do a news segment, and it gets butchered. Rutledge or Ferrara need to go - need someone with a hint of personality on that cast.

Also, the review the Mustang and not one comment about the paint job?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM

I think Ferrara is the worst.

Dump him and get someone who actually gets excited about cars and it might bring the other two up to a better level.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh the third show was absolutely horrible. After the first segment regarding the 'shine runners, which incidentally made all of us that live in NC, particularly around that area, look like complete hicks, the Mustang came out of absolutely nowhere. The segment had nothing to do with Mustangs nor did the show. It was completely pointless.

I thought after seeing the second show, that it would just get better and better, so I hope the third show is no indication of what's to come. I would honestly much rather keep Rutledge and get rid of Ferrara. He's a complete waste of space, and I'm beginning to wonder about Tanner.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mother,Dec 6 2010, 03:28 PM
I think Ferrara is the worst.

Dump him and get someone who actually gets excited about cars and it might bring the other two up to a better level.
This is huge imo - Ferrara and Rutledge just are not excited, and seem to put down the cars with no real knowledge about them.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpwned,Dec 6 2010, 03:37 PM
Oh the third show was absolutely horrible. After the first segment regarding the 'shine runners, which incidentally made all of us that live in NC, particularly around that area, look like complete hicks, the Mustang came out of absolutely nowhere. The segment had nothing to do with Mustangs nor did the show. It was completely pointless.

I thought after seeing the second show, that it would just get better and better, so I hope the third show is no indication of what's to come. I would honestly much rather keep Rutledge and get rid of Ferrara. He's a complete waste of space, and I'm beginning to wonder about Tanner.
I think it made them sound like idiots that don't know a thing about NC actually... might be the UK producers behind this one...

Imo Tanner works as the professional car guy/racer that actually knows cars. The problem is the other two don't really know cars, and certainly don't get excited about them. Tanner will work so long as there's someone with real personality/wit in contrast.

Clarkson - seasoned journalist with knowledge
Hammond - wide-eyed enthusiasm
May - technical savvy - foil to the exuberance of Hammond and the knuckle dragging of Clarkson

Tanner has the knowledge and driving skill, but he's paired with people that express no personality or knowledge. The painful silences during the news section were, well, painful. He needs better co-hosts.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Man what a bunch of whiners! The third show was the best one yet.

1) A news segment! Yeah, it was short but you all are forgetting that IN AMERICA WE LOSE 18 MINUTES TO MERCEDES COMMERCIALS. Of course it's short!

2) The dirt track challenge, the hosts trying moonshine, and the last challenge were simply funny as hell.

Someone on another board I frequent made an excellent point about the challenges--they allow the hosts to learn how to interact with one another in a a non-forced manner that will hopefully carry on to the studio segments. It also gives the hosts fodder on which to knock on each other in the future. Example: Rutledge barfing up his hooch. Honestly, that'd be my reaction to that shiz too. The studio segments are still a little wooden but allowing the guys to gain chemistry like this should help some.

Give all of the guys a chance for now, watch all ten episodes, THEN judge. Of the hosts, Rutledge is the most genuine and should grow into the job. Tanner is OK, and Adam Ferrara is lagging a bit. I do agree with others that he's kind of the weak link.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm not a snob, but apparently my DVR is.

It didn't record TGA last night, despite being set for it.

Rerun tomorrow, but it kinda made me laugh that my DVR wants me to have better taste. Wait -- where's my "best police shootouts!?"
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neuronbob,Dec 6 2010, 01:20 PM
Man what a bunch of whiners! The third show was the best one yet.

1) A news segment! Yeah, it was short but you all are forgetting that IN AMERICA WE LOSE 18 MINUTES TO MERCEDES COMMERCIALS. Of course it's short!

2) The dirt track challenge, the hosts trying moonshine, and the last challenge were simply funny as hell.

Someone on another board I frequent made an excellent point about the challenges--they allow the hosts to learn how to interact with one another in a a non-forced manner that will hopefully carry on to the studio segments. It also gives the hosts fodder on which to knock on each other in the future. Example: Rutledge barfing up his hooch. Honestly, that'd be my reaction to that shiz too. The studio segments are still a little wooden but allowing the guys to gain chemistry like this should help some.

Give all of the guys a chance for now, watch all ten episodes, THEN judge. Of the hosts, Rutledge is the most genuine and should grow into the job. Tanner is OK, and Adam Ferrara is lagging a bit. I do agree with others that he's kind of the weak link.
The 'shine will put hair on your nuts!

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA!!!