Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear USA!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT_NFR,Nov 22 2010, 06:06 PM
Whats your reference point? Please name a better American car show. k. thanks
Easy, Chasing Classic Cars.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 23 2010, 08:08 AM
Easy, Chasing Classic Cars.
Now that's a boring show!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 23 2010, 10:21 AM
Now that's a boring show!
guess it just states how bad TG USA really was then.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People keep saying, "it's better than the first U.K TG", I guess they forgot that this is made in 2010 with tons of technology and the U.K TG started in 2002. They didnt start off with tons of technology, just a show about cars.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Wait, what does technology have to do with the quality of a show? It doesn't effect the writing, or the acting, or the cinematography... Surely you don't think that CGI is all that's needed to make a good program?

Anyway, Chasing Classic Cars is good in a few ways. It has some really interesting cars in it, and it isn't full of forced drama and conflict like many reality shows. It can be dull at times - I have no interest in the auction bits - but overall it's nice. But just because there is ONE good car show on American TV doesn't mean we shouldn't have TWO good car shows. And American Top Gear is a very good start.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Nov 23 2010, 11:15 AM
Wait, what does technology have to do with the quality of a show? It doesn't effect the writing, or the acting, or the cinematography... Surely you don't think that CGI is all that's needed to make a good program?

Anyway, Chasing Classic Cars is good in a few ways. It has some really interesting cars in it, and it isn't full of forced drama and conflict like many reality shows. It can be dull at times - I have no interest in the auction bits - but overall it's nice. But just because there is ONE good car show on American TV doesn't mean we shouldn't have TWO good car shows. And American Top Gear is a very good start.
All I did was answer his challenge. Never said I did not want more good quality automotive shows b/c I do. The crew can study TG UK for cinematography that should be the easiest of the things to improve on b/c of the wealth of examples they can draw from. The hosts need to develop an identity w/in the show and be more than just "hosts"
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Everybody seems to be talking about how its the best car show in the US!!!!

Lemme put it this way. I watch a lot of sci fi stuff. Some of it, well, lots of it, is purely awful. I don't care that it is awful, I get some kind of sad satisfaction out of it in a Mystery Science Theater kind of way out of it.

The difference is, I don't try to claim that it is any good or fool myself into telling other people that it is good when it is not.

Some guys just want to fap to expensive cars they will never attain and will watch ANYTHING that has them. That is fine. Everyone has their own niche of entertainment that they will watch regardless of the quality, be it Cars, SciFi, Pron, or perhaps a horrible sports team like my Vikings.

But please don't fool yourselves into thinking that will ever be a high quality show. Jay Leno stayed away for a reason. Watch it, enjoy it if you must, but it was amatuerish at best. The only thing that was better quality than a public cable access show was the cinematography, and that was just because they had decent equipment and not because it was used with high levels of skill and creativity.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM

I finally watched the whole show last night. My review:

1. Hosts: 6/10. They need more chemistry. They need more personality and the interactions in between seemed a bit forced. It is early so lets see how they develop with time.

2. Cars/segments: 6/10. The Lamborghini segment was pretty good. Too bad they didn't put on some GPS tracking data to actually measure the actual speed at the end of the mile. The Viper Vs. Cobra segment was not great. That's partially b/c they are driving through a small town in Georgia. It sounds BORING compared to the same thing in an English town.

3. Star in a reasonally priced car: 5/10. Partially b/c they should have picked somebody from Hollywood. The Host was boring too and his commentary was lackluster.

3. Stig/track: 9/10. The track IMHO is better than the UK TG track. It has too much dust and won't have the rain element. But the track is a good mix of straights and curves. The Stig looks like the "fat stig" from last season's episode. I am guessing its a retired racer who is in the mid 40's.

4. Photography/Video: 7/10. It needs some work but still it is better than ALL american TV shows(ever watch Motorweek?). The in-car camera shaking violently was disappointing. There weren't as many wide angle, cool angle videos as you typically on the UK TG.

5. News segment: Did I miss that?

Overall: 7/10. Not great but a fair place to start. The hosts need more personality and quirkiness. Not enough jokes/clownery as you see on the british TG.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how many of you are on Honda-Tech BUT Rutledge (TopGear host) has created a user account and posted up on responding to some criticism in GDD.

http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=121
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Respect.

Thank you for posting that.

Quick Reply: Top Gear USA!!!