Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear testing the new SLR, here are some pictures.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides the whole slushbox thing...not even a sequential manual with an auto mode. I couldn't justify spending that kind of $$ for something i couldn't have more direct control over on a track.
those guys on Top Gear have the best jobs in history....

Quick2k
Old 12-10-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by MDXLuvr
am I the only one that finds that car FUGLY!
Nope.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 AM

this is meant to be the luxurious supercar... whether the world needs such a thing remains to be seen.... I could see some super rich Euro guy who drives on the Autobahn getting one. Definitely not the ideal trackday car however, an simple Elise would be far more suitable for that.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:59 AM

i also agree. that car is pretty ugly. i like the back, but the front is far too busy for this car. I like that they "tried" to incorporate some F1 styling, but they didn't do a good job. Looks like the batmobile imo. Also, why would they put a five speed auto in a "super car." Mercedes does make manny transmission, i had one and it wasn't that bad, felt like a bmw tranny. They also do make sequential manual gearboxes too. So why would they put only a slushbox in this.

Somehow i think bangle could have designed a nicer looking car, speaking of which i saw a 645Ci conv. masked up in Malibu yesterday. Didn't look half bad.

Did you guys notice how they stole the radio cover from the S2k too?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by enlightenment
Did you guys notice how they stole the radio cover from the S2k too?
Actually the S2K probably stole it's radio cover from the Audi TT if you want to get technical :-) The one on the Merc looks like it is made of plastic as well, how is it I can get a nice brushed aluminum cover on my car and the uber expensive Merc gets a plastic one???
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 AM

Ah, it's that short little cretin that I hate...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 AM

Interior looked good... back end has a nice stanch look. Front end looks gimmicky.

I am still deciding on the side view profile. The overall shape is decent, but the air duct on the side and the exhaust tips on the front make the car unbalanced. It needs something (or less).
Old 12-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the exterior is ugly, ugly, ugly. That thing would gag a maggot on a gut wagon. Carrera GT for me, please. Even the (not quite so) ugly Enzo is far superior to that car in looks.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 AM

Certainly not pretty like an SL55. And is the perfomance difference really in proportion with the price difference? Maybe if the SLR was a pure sports car yes, but if they are going for a luxo theme, might as well take an SL55 to Kleenman or Brabus, get 90% of the performance and save a few hundred thousand in the process.

But then again nobody is buying this car because it is a good value....
Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 AM

It's definately not a great looking car. However, I'm sure that thing can move. Hopefully I can catch that Top Gear episode!!!. Looks like a sweet ride.

Quick Reply: Top Gear testing the new SLR, here are some pictures.