Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Top Gear Cayman S

Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep thinking that they did not install the LSD as they will have a RS version comming out at some point which will have it.

Of course they might put the 2.7 into the RS, lighten it up so its great on the trak but still not as fast as the 911 as well.

They did something similar with the 914-6, base mid engine car gets a decent motor and good suspension and it creaps on the 911 track times.

They simply killed the car off instead of keepng a mid engine car in the line-up, my opinion is that they need to have a smaller cheaper mid engine car in the lineup at all times.

The options are completely daft as well, plus its almost impossible to find one that is stripped down.

Also I really like the google video, worked first time, even on my mac video downloaded real fast and no problems. We shsould use it more often.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:23 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Far be it from me to tell Porsche how to price their cars, but..

It's not hard for the Cayman S to be in the mid-$60s. In fact it could be argued that for just under $60K (base price) a lot of the options should be standard.

The Cayman S is about the same price as a Z06 (2x the price of a S2000).

You can buy a 325i + S2000 for the price of a mildly optioned Cayman S.

:cough: that's a lot of green for a car.

Now I don't subscribe to the theory, but a C&D editor said something like with the great cars out now it's crazy to be spending more than $30K on a car.

I don't go that far, but I do think it's illustrative to see what you can get for just a tick over $30K such as a 350Z or a S2000 or EVO etc.. Even an Elise (not exactly cheap) is ~$20-$25K less than a Cayman S with a few options.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting that one of his criticisms is that "it has no soul" or some such. Historically, Porsche-philes have derided Japanese cars like the NSX for having no soul because they're too well engineered. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now perhaps.

So which modern cars have the best balance of passion and engineering? I think Elise would be at the top of such a list. I'd put the S2000 up there as well, since I find the S2000 to be a passionate car.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:08 AM

I saw one yesterday at the Porsche dealer in Cockeysville, MD. It was beautiful to look at but it stickered at $67K and NO LSD!

$67K buys you a very nice, lightly used, recent vintage 911.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM

he hates almost all porsches, i didnt think he would like this one either.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Oh, and for what it's worth, the 997 does not have an LSD either. It has an ABD instead - "automatic brake differential." The Cayman has this system as well. I'm having difficulty tracking down the technical details of this system - my impression is that it combines a locking diff like a Torsen with computer controlled braking of the spinning wheel.

Just because a car as a Torsen LSD doesn't mean the inside rear wheel will never slip - just ask any S2000 autocrosser.

So chalk this up as a factual error on Top Gear's part.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jan 17 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm having difficulty tracking down the technical details of this system - my impression is that it combines a locking diff like a Torsen with computer controlled braking of the spinning wheel.
It's the latter but not the former -- it's an open diff, but the computer will brake the inside wheel if it detects slippage. Helps some, but it's possible to overwhelm the system and cause wheelspin if you're clumsy with the gas, as the Stig was leaving the Hammerhead.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Well there ya go - neither the Boxster, Cayman nor Carrera have limited slip diffs.

(I have found references that the 911 GT3 and 911 GT2 both have proper LSDs however.)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBlaze,Jan 17 2006, 06:52 AM
Damn, no LSD for a $70k performance car. Shit, the new Si has a LSD standard, WTF Porsche?
I'd love to hear the salesman take on this.

customer: No LSD?! My kid's Civic has LSD! You want me to pay $60K+ and no LSD?
salesman: No, but this is a Porsche. LSD is overated.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The Lotus Elise and Exige, like the Cayman, doesn't come with an LSD standard. Lotus only added one as an option this year at the insistence of the North American autocrossing community -- they insist it slows the car down and degrades its handling feel.

2. The Cayman, Boxster, 911, Elise, and Exige all have their engines over the rear wheels, which significantly reduces the need for a LSD.

I'm not saying the omission of an LSD is a good thing, but I think it's being overblown. Many of you have read reviews of the Elise, Exige, Boxster, and Cayman, and some of you have probably driven them -- how many of you even realized that none of these cars have LSDs until it was explicitly called out on this thread or elsewhere?

An LSD is not a prerequisite for good handling, and in fact, integrated poorly, can degrade handling. It does help in competition situations, especially in autocrossing, but most people don't drive these cars in competition.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Cayman S