Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Took my 335 for a ride tonight

Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b00stn,Aug 30 2008, 09:42 AM
I am now annoyed with my self for wasting 30 seconds of my life to type this.
That cracked me up ...I think it the same feeling we're all having for reading this thread.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a new 335 coupe a few weeks ago at the BMW lot (I'm looking for a new daily driver)... I was NOT impressed. I found the styling to be too feminine. The interior was mediocre at best for a "luxury coupe". I found the ride to be too harsh for a suspension that left a bit to be desired. It suffered severe understeer and body roll. The twin turbos took FOREVER and a day to spool (even though they are in sequence, which is typically a solution for this problem). The acceleration was just okay.

I drove a Lancer Evolution 8 a few days ago and it put a bigger smile on my face than that 335 did. That Evo 8 is JUST THAT GOOD.

I also drove the new V8 M3, which while I found it to be exiting, didn't live up to the hype I have been hearing... and just for good measure I drove an E46 M3. I WILL be purchasing the latter of these two as soon as I can find a nice deal. The acceleration of this car was simply astounding. While F/I can be great, these two cars offer a sensation that you just can't get with boost. The acceleration from a roll is instantaneous. It is just piss-in-your-pants-good!

The E46 M3 is a great car as long as you avoid the SMGII transmission. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the car, especially in performance or style. It is a great car all around, and they can be had with low milage and 100k mile warranties for low to mid $30k's.

I'm in the process of boosting the S (sick turbo kit) and buying an E46 M3. I'll have the best of both worlds!

My $0.02

Oh and BTW, the one's I drove had HK stereos and they sucked.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Ok guys sorry about this post, I deleted it because it was awaste of time, nobody has to read it. I was just acting all emo..carry on.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mmm def,Aug 30 2008, 07:58 AM
Ok guys sorry about this post, I deleted it because it was awaste of time, nobody has to read it. I was just acting all emo..carry on.
Don't apologize man. You are entitled to your own opinion. All I was saying is that I drove it and I wasn't impressed. I've said the same about many other cars that my friends have loved. You just have to anticipate that when you compare the S2000 to ANY car, the fanboys here on S2KI are gonna give you crap about it.... but that shouldn't change your views. All you can do it take their opinions into consideration and make an informed decision. That is why I didn't just go about bashing the 335 and rave about the S2K. I gave mention to specific things about the car that I didn't like, then I gave you my opinion on the cars superiors in the same series.

You are entitled to your opinion... just like everyone else on this site. Don't let them scare you off.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 AM

I found the ride to be too harsh for a suspension that left a bit to be desired. It suffered severe understeer and body roll. The twin turbos took FOREVER and a day to spool (even though they are in sequence, which is typically a solution for this problem). The acceleration was just okay.
You definitely drove something else then...the 335 has virtually no turbo lag and it will out accelerate an E46 M3 to 60 in most instances. The car has very little understeer under normal driving conditions and only in extreme instances if driver induced. I have an E46 M3 and a 335 and it strikes me as very odd that you think the M3 is quick but the 335 is not when in actuallity the 335 is quicker in most cases under triple digits. My M3 did about 275RWHP stock and the 335 was a little over 280RWHP stock...not even worth showing torque difference.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck,Aug 31 2008, 08:05 AM
You definitely drove something else then...the 335 has virtually no turbo lag and it will out accelerate an E46 M3 to 60 in most instances. The car has very little understeer under normal driving conditions and only in extreme instances if driver induced. I have an E46 M3 and a 335 and it strikes me as very odd that you think the M3 is quick but the 335 is not when in actuallity the 335 is quicker in most cases under triple digits. My M3 did about 275RWHP stock and the 335 was a little over 280RWHP stock...not even worth showing torque difference.
haha, the 335 fan boi is alive and well
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by derryck,Aug 31 2008, 05:05 AM
I definitely drove a 335, and it suffered the symptoms I described. Perhaps it wasn't turbo lag (though I'm 99% sure it was, as turbo lag is unmistakable), but it didn't "get up and go" as well as it should have for being a TT.

I never said that it wouldn't out accelerate and E46 M3. I said that the NEW M3 performed beautifully, but the E46 is a great deal now and still quite the contender. I had the thing going around an interstate on ramp loop and it suffered terrible body roll. My buddy who was the car salesman took me to some twisties in the area (I was out of state and unfamiliar with the local roads) and I can promise you that there was nothing "driver induced" about the severe understeer I encountered in those turns.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something must have been wrong w/ that 335 you drove, or maybe you were already biased to hate it before you drove it. They're great cars, just don't have as much of a sports car feel as an M or real sports cars.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 31 2008, 06:13 AM
Something must have been wrong w/ that 335 you drove, or maybe you were already biased to hate it before you drove it. They're great cars, just don't have as much of a sports car feel as an M or real sports cars.
Nothing was wrong with the car I test drove. I drove the coupe and sedan and they both handled roughly the same, thought convertible was not as rigid. I was definitely not biased to hate the car (hence the reason I test drove it. I was considering buying either the 335i as a daily driver. Now I'm looking at the M3). Why would I have test drove the car if I planned on disliking it?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM

The non sport package equipped 335's definitely have more body roll and the DSC kicks in pretty quickly on those cars w/ those poor skinny tires on it. I suppose a non sport package equipped car would be more inclined to understeer as the power of the 335 could easily overwhelm the non SP tires. Sounds like the car you drove was experiencing some 'issues'. Mine is not stock but after driving an E90 M3 and stepping back into my 335 it was obvious that my 335 is significantly quicker.

haha, the 335 fan boi is alive and well
I'm not a 'fan boi' but the 335 is what it is and the N54 is great engine with much potential. The car has no turbo lag and if the car he drove was lagging then it was not running correctly or something was wrong with it...especially if he thought the E46 M3 was quick in comparison. Although they are close in numbers the 335 feels much quicker due to the huge torque advantage.

Quick Reply: Took my 335 for a ride tonight