Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Too many big buck cars chasing too few millionaires?

Old 02-13-2004, 12:19 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Too many big buck cars chasing too few millionaires?

I've thought this before, but just read in CAR.

Talking about cars OVER $250K. Up to now they have sold Less than 1000/year.

Now: RR + Maybach + SLR + Carrera GT have eyes on about 500/year each = 2000/year.

They say Carrera is already sold out its 3 year production run. But SLR is slated for 7 year at 500/year.

Sure there are a few people like Bill Gates who can have one of each. But others will stop at one. Porsche is set, but the other three may have over optimistic goals.

We all like the SLR, but is is it worth three times the price of a SL55?

My point is what came first? Is there only 1000 sales a year because there are not many cars in this price range OR are there few cars in this price range because there are not enough buyers?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they will all sell to meet or exceed the goals. There are so many rich people in the US now. And now more than ever they feel the need to show the world how rich they are.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:38 PM
rai

You may be right, Ford plans to sell 4500 Ford GT in 3 years. I thought that was a lot, but I read they could sell three times that number if they wanted.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:51 PM

oh they will sell without worry
these r very limited number compared to how many people can afford them
Old 02-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probably a matter of supply and demand, in this case supply catching up with demand.

One thing is for certain, at virtually every price point, today is a great time to be a car enthusiast.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by steve c
It's probably a matter of supply and demand, in this case supply catching up with demand.

One thing is for certain, at virtually every price point, today is a great time to be a car enthusiast.
Agreed.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rai

Talking about cars OVER $250K.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:39 PM
rai

I'm not in the market for a $250K car, but it may be interesting to think about a pre-owned RR for the same price as a new V12 MB. Or a Pre-owned SLR for the same as a new 575M. Granted this is several years down the pike, but it's not that far fetched.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM

In my opinion none of these super cars worth their price. These cars are for people who has way too much money that three generations could not consume and find no where to spend. Why do you need a car that can go 280mph? Where can you use up those speed besides on track? How many times do these multi-billionaires go to the track? If you try to go even half of their top speed on freeway, you are already putting danger on other driver's lives. Are they designed to be super safe? Those thin weight-saving bodies? How many air bags are there in those cars? I guess if a Carrera GT get slammed by a S600, passengers in the Benz are less likely to get killed. Many of these ultra-expensive cars are not even equipped with the basic luxury features, let alone the upper level features. How many of them have navigation system for options(only Gallardo does). Probably you say these cars are not for daily driving, so those lux features are not neccessary, especially considering the weight gain from those things....I say bullshit, those should be standard feature for cars 1/4 of their prices. And cars with big ass V8, V10, or even turbo charged V12 engine can not haul those little weights? Come on. The long-term reliability of these super cars are not proportional to their price also. There are just not enough samples for me to tell how solid their builds are, considering they can only sell a few hundred of those cars COMBINED. Talking about those who buy these cars, how many of them are able to control those monsters safely? How many of those big company CEOs or Hollywood stars or top professionals have high speed racing/driving skills? How many of them even know the difference between a V and Inline engines? All they know is the more expensive the more special they are. You say those cars are very good looking? I agree, such as Gallardo and 360 Modena are one of them, but Enzo and SLR? Look is very subjective so I don't want to discuss about that too much. One thing very funny is that many of those super sexy cars have coefficient of drag more than 0.30, that is significantly higher than Lexus LS430 or Honda Accord. Those cars are very very eye-catching on street, but actually I think they are pretty shallow.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:18 PM

There are tons of rich people all over the WORLD, not just USA. Heck even Korea, which is a small rich country is importing Enzo's.

Quick Reply: Too many big buck cars chasing too few millionaires?