Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Too early to pour one out for the Viper?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too early to pour one out for the Viper?

There's been lots of talk on the forums lately about the latest high-tech on four wheels, and I'm surprised nobody has yet lamented the upcoming demise of the decidedly anti-tech Viper.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-ends-in-2017/

Maybe folks are just not that sorry to see it go in the first place?
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's the wrong forum. Most people here don't care for the viper or realize how fast it really is around a track.

It's a sad outlook. Might make for a nice collectors car!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I wish I were in a position to buy one. Specifically the ACR. It's the end of an era.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The Viper is one of those cars that everyone wishes their friend would buy but isn't willing to buy themselves unfortunately.

The irony is that in 30 years the Viper will be way more collectible than most of today's competitors, owing to its simple and uncompromisingly track-focused nature. That goes doubly for the ACR and other track variants.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the new viper is a marvelous car, my uncle owns a 2014 and I've driven it here and there. The car feels... Good, really good actually! The interior has a great quality finish which I didn't expect from an American car but it lacks the scare aspect of it if you get me lol it's so fast but yet so tame, not that that is a bad thing. My dad owns a 09 z06 and I've raced it against the viper in a straight line 30mph roll and it's insane to see how much faster the viper is considering the vette is making 490rwhp. The viper on the other hand put down 550?rwhp with a agency power intake and exhaust + tune. I'll have to double check that number.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to see the Viper to be going out of production. If I were wealthy I'd be ordering up an ACR as a summer fun/track car. Wonder if the values will skyrocket some day later on (say 20-30 years+). Of course though, this isn't the first time it has gone out of production, and I'm still skeptical that it wouldn't be coming back within the next 5-10 years. Wonder if it will keep its massive V10 though should it come back, would change it quite a bit if it didn't.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

very sad to see this car end. Grew up loving it. If the GT4 RS never comes out I might be tempted at picking up a Gen V for cheap. After the initial depreciation these cars will hold their value.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Sad news. Great cars. They're like a big S2K with torque.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

The new viper is probably one of the best cars out right now in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be clear, we don't actually know the Viper is out after 2017. What we know is as of 2018 the current plant that builds the Viper will be closed. That doesn't mean the current chassis can't be moved to a new plant or alternatively, a new Viper will be released. I rather suspect the Viper might take a year or two off then come back with a new chassis out of a new plant. The current car seems like a hard bargain when compared to the C7. It seems like it either needs to go up in sophistication (perceived or real I can't say as I've never driven one), go down in price/up in volume or perhaps Dodge need to find a way to make it work at a low number of units per year. In any case it seems like the current car missed the right mix of raw yet fun etc and thus hasn't sold well. With that in mind it would make sense that Chrysler is (warning: speculation... please throw it back at me as a claim of solid fact) looking at the replacement car and will use the loss of the current plant as the chance to start over. Perhaps with a SC Hemi?

Anyway, given how the car business works I would only take this to mean the current generation will be gone after 2017.

Quick Reply: Too early to pour one out for the Viper?