Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Time to get a different car

Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get a different car

So guys, I happen to respect your opinions on these matters, and the budget this time around is $8k or less. What I need is a reliable replacement for my 98 civic that is fun to drive and a little sporty. Being that I have almost no exposure to the rear-drive layout and can afford to remain with a front driver, I was looking for possible suggestions.

The car absolutely must be reliable over the next 4 years as I am in grad school and have very little money to drop on spendy repairs. The car will be driven in Omaha, NE so it needs to be able to handle winters without me resorting to driving a different car. I'd also prefer a manual to a relative extreme, as my civic was an automatic and I don't feel like dealing with that anymore, stick is the way to go.

I'm relatively open on suggestions, just so long as they meet the qualifications I've already stated. Fire away.

Please, no civic suggestions...
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So reliable FWD for <= $8k and more sporty than a Civic?

Integra?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

integra, sentra, altima, celica, camry, corolla? your options are limitless.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Guys I don't think Integras are all that reliable compared to civics. When an integra gets over 120k miles I think they all need the following:

New rear calipers
Axles
Suspension
Bushings
Starters
Alternators
Radiators
Clutch master cylinder (if manual)
140-150k they start burning oil

the interiors hold up real well, but for the common parts I think they go out... add in the premium of the "Acura" badge, the theft target insurance increase... I think there are better cars for the money in today's used market.

If you are dead set on modding or buying one that hasn't been riced out then go for it. But for a daily driver... you can get V6 FWD sedans that are faster than GSR's... you want something sporty that "handles" well... then get a 1998+ Mustang GT

that body style GT with suspension package beat a Integra Type R with same rubber around a track in a long ago magazine article in Sport Compact Car... the ITR was a better car to drive, but FWD has it's limits.

Honestly... if I were you I'd find an IS300 or Maxima 5sp (some come with LSD)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM

and if you can pony up to 10k you can get an infiniti G35 sedan easy

although it's going to be auto most likely
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Honda or Toyota.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know you mentioned fwd but some decent 02-03 subaru wrx's in that price range.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/1375112297.html
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by hyperpm,Sep 20 2009, 10:00 PM
i know you mentioned fwd but some decent 02-03 subaru wrx's in that price range.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/1375112297.html
I will second the subaru suggestion. great cold weather cars?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM

It doesn't have to be fwd, but I was looking for alternatives to the standard. The car will also not be bought in omaha, it will be from south florida, just happens to be in omaha during usage, which helps with price. There are very few integras that exist that aren't riced out near miami, plus I'd honestly prefer to go a different route, since I've got the bad luck to get cars with trouble.

The wrx is a good idea, but insurance and availability of cars that aren't completely suspect is kind of a downside to that car. Wrxs are widely available, but it's just too easy to find one that's been abused to hell and back, and I need something that would be easily findable in the week I have to search for the car.

And there's nothing sporty about a corolla, altima, or sentra.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM

02-03 Subaru WRX

Quick Reply: Time to get a different car