Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thoughts regarding one expensive car vs. several nice cars

Old 04-13-2004, 11:45 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not me asking for advice, just wondering if you could drop say $120K on a 911 tt would you rather have that or 3 really nice cars?

Guy at work has a 911 tt = $120K

I could have a S2000, EVO MR, and a LS430 give or take. For near the same money.

Even if you buy (used) 911 tt for $80 something thousand.

I could have a (new) S2000 + (new) EVO + LS400 (used).

I know you can only drive one car at a time, and sometimes it's a PITA to have so many cars sitting around, but I'd rather have different wheels depending on the weather, the type of trip and my mood.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

right now I have 5 cars and a 20' enclosed trailer. It is way too much of a pain in the ass...... total $ = ~ $150k.

I have 3 in the garage, 2 in the driveway and the trailer at a friends house...... It is fun to have a variety (muscle car, truck, etc....), but only if you have somewhere to easy to put all of them.

I am not big on buying one $75k car though......I will probably always have 4 cars or more despite the pain....
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are the few different types of cars that a person with money would be interested in as i see it:

Workhorse truck/suv
Luxury SUV/Sedan
Exotic Sports car
Beater Sports car
Collectible/specialty car of some sort (race cars, etc)
Cheap, unassuming car

From these i guess it is a combination of specific needs and personality that goes into the choices. Also some depends on classification.

For example, for me the ideal combination would be an exotic sports car, a luxury sedan and a workhorse truck. Because of my current space and budget i have determined that i can cut out the workhorse truck for now. Then classification helps me achieve the other two. To me, the Lotus Elise is an exotic. Then i think i am going to go with a CTS-V as the luxury sedan. However my stepdad is also picking up an Elise to complement his GT2. his elise is serving the beater sports car position and he has no use for a luxury sedan.

Basically what all this means is that there is no right answer and everyone has different preferences.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's kind of funny Lotus Elise = $40K "beater".

But it's true, my Passat would be a dream car for some but is my "beater".
Old 04-13-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Workhorse truck/suv - 2003 4x4 Silverado to tow and haul crap
Luxury SUV/Sedan - 2003 Acura MDX - kind of luxury.?
Exotic Sports car - 2003 Cobra Mustang (ok...not very exotic...but damn fast)
Beater Sports car - 2003 Evolution
Collectible/specialty car of some sort (race cars, etc) - Racing only Honda S2000
Cheap, unassuming car - 2001 Honda 250ex 4 wheeler.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see your point -- but most folks who can swing an expensive car can also afford other cars -- and many of them do have a variety.

That said, the 996TT is probably one of the few cars in that price / performance range that is capable of being driven daily and on track days. It is docile and comfortable until you decide it no longer should be and push it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:46 PM

trucks and suv's are not really equivalents. we've got two large/luxury suv's and i still have the need for a large pick'em up truck that can tow and haul trees and other large dirty items. however, if we had just a truck, then we couldn't haul our large dirty dogs or tailgate at games.

i live with the driveway clutter now. i always rib my wife that our driveway looks like a auto lot. although i do have one garage queen.... a 1996 751C Bobcat skidsteer with auxilliary hydraulics and a few attachments.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:53 PM

I'd definitely have to go with a "few" cheaper cars. The only way I could even begin to justify a single car of $60k+ is I was just rolling in dough.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:14 PM

if i had a daily driver, say a G35coupe or 530 and a hatchbac, say Scion Xb with ~120k to spend i would definitely get one car worth that price , a Porsche GT3 (a little cheaper actually). ooooh my gosh i want that car. no matter what combination of cheaper cars you put together, your never gonna get the feeling of a GT3.

i like to think that a good sports car, like a porsche TT or GT3 is so expensive because thats the price of their respective performances. you could have an evo (with mods) + S2000 (with mods) but for them to be equal to the GT3, your prolly gonna spend just the same amount of money and have no Warrantee.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess the answer to this question depends on cirumstance. For instance, at the moment, I own:

2001 Honda S2000 (fun in the sun/weekends only fun car)
2002 Toyota Tundra (Pseudo-daily driver for those 2' snowfalls and -30 weather. Works well for hauling too)
1988 Merkur XR4TI (Sporty/rare/beater car. Used to tinker around with, and for those days when the roads are too dirty to take out the other two vehicles)

So, that said, the versatility of a small collection like this is unmatched. However, with it, comes insurance, maintenance and storage issues. I can only drive one V at a time, and monthly payments continue despite how much or how little I drive them. My S2000 has only 2800KM on it since new, and my Tundra only 20000KM. Do I really need 3 vehicles? Nope. But it sure is fun to have a little bit of everything.

I would only dump $120K onto a single car, if I could still afford a reliable, AWD functional automobile as a daily driver. The $2000 Merkur wouldn't cut it (reliability issues), and the Tundra maybe too pricey. I'd be happy to settle for the practicality of a CRV/Rav4 with an exotic for those weekend runs in the sun to cars shows and what not.

Asif

Quick Reply: Thoughts regarding one expensive car vs. several nice cars