Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

thoughts on the pontiac solstice

Old 04-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caffeinated21,Apr 16 2005, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm just curious, what acounts for the miata's 300-400 pound advantage over and s2k? I assume our engine is a little heavier, a little more frame weight for the longer chassis, but i can't imagine that alone adds up to 300-400 pounds...
Mostly the Miata is smaller. I don't have figures for the third generation being introduced this year, but the second generation was 7 inches shorter in length, 3 inches narrower, and 2 inches shorter in height than the S2000. That means it fits in a box with about 13% less volume, so the fact that it's about 13% lighter shouldn't be a surprise. Park beside one some time and you'll notice the difference in size.

I think what we're getting for the extra size is a stiffer chassis, a little more room in the cabin, and lots more power.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Apr 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Mostly the Miata is smaller. I don't have figures for the third generation being introduced this year, but the second generation was 7 inches shorter in length, 3 inches narrower, and 2 inches shorter in height than the S2000. That means it fits in a box with about 13% less volume, so the fact that it's about 13% lighter shouldn't be a surprise. Park beside one some time and you'll notice the difference in size.

I think what we're getting for the extra size is a stiffer chassis, a little more room in the cabin, and lots more power.
well the new Miata is just slightly larger in every dimension but new metals and substances were used in order to keep weight down and increase rigidity
Old 04-17-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

This thread is funny. I'll bet most of the population of the US that is interested in a 2 seat convertible will say the GM twins are far more attractive than the S2000 or the Miata (I think the new MX-5 is ugly). I love my S, but I really didn't buy it for the looks.

Solstice and Sky are two different looks that will cover both the younger folks going after the more current agressive look, and the folks going after the more classic/sphisticated look. They use their entry division for the "younger" look and their upscale/styling car division for the traditional look. Even if you hate Saturns and Ponitacs, it is a brilliant marketing strategy that results in two new products for most of the same development costs.

I know it is a subjective subject, but when it comes to automoblie sales, the majority rules. Legal Bill's predicition; The Solstice and Sky may not be long-lived financial successes, but they will out-sell the S-2000 and the Miata.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:57 AM

I might get one a slightly used on for my wife. A slightly used one should sell in the mid teens. its not a car for me, but it looks good and she will love it.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Mar 17 2005, 06:29 PM
3200 is a bit on the high side. I think I'd still buy one though. I think the S2000 looks hot, but it doesn't look Solstice hot.
Slamnasty, my wife tends to agree with you, she claims that she will buy one of these cars. She is googoo over the looks and right now we have a roadster war in the household Personally I disagree with her, it don't think it comes close to my S But we now have a riff going on.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 17 2005, 06:32 AM
This thread is funny. I'll bet most of the population of the US that is interested in a 2 seat convertible will say the GM twins are far more attractive than the S2000 or the Miata (I think the new MX-5 is ugly). I love my S, but I really didn't buy it for the looks.

Solstice and Sky are two different looks that will cover both the younger folks going after the more current agressive look, and the folks going after the more classic/sphisticated look. They use their entry division for the "younger" look and their upscale/styling car division for the traditional look. Even if you hate Saturns and Ponitacs, it is a brilliant marketing strategy that results in two new products for most of the same development costs.

I know it is a subjective subject, but when it comes to automoblie sales, the majority rules. Legal Bill's predicition; The Solstice and Sky may not be long-lived financial successes, but they will out-sell the S-2000 and the Miata.
I partially agree, I don't think anything will outsell the Miata, it might be close but I doubt they'll trump Mazda's crown jewell, especially not in worldwide sales, but I do agree on the looks...They got it right on when they made the styling for these two vehicles, they have a more post-modern(futuristic?) look to them then the S2000, more curvy. I think they took that idea from the Miata though they also mix in some nice angles as well. Another thing that helps out as well is how wide the cars are (71 in.) and this width helps it partially get away from looking cutesy...overall though I don't think the styling is light years ahead but good enough to sell loads of vehicles, the last couple years of sports car sales were dominated by the 350Z and RX-8 and I have no doubt the GM twins and the Miata will step up and sell like Corvettes just as the two aforementioned did, In the meantime, all S2000 owners should be happy leaving anybody that's delusional about the performance of their GM's in the dust...
Old 04-17-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hpark,Apr 15 2005, 06:30 PM
they're still going to make the supercharged version pumping out 200+ HP right???
Saturn is coming out with a Redline version of the Sky six months after the standard version. It's going to use the 2.0L turbo (not supercharged) ecotec engine. It's only a guess but GM will probably use the same engine in the beefed up Soltice. Do a search over at GMinsidenews if you want the official quote on that info, I'm too lazy to go find it right now...

Oh, and one more thing about the Soltice and Sky, Aisin is the transmission supplier for both cars, if I'm not mistaken they provide the transmission for the s2000 too right? Here's hoping that the GMs version shifts as nice as the s2k's...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 PM

a turbo 2.0 liter producing 250hp and a six speed in the new upmarked Soltice for 2007.........

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102726

I wonder if it will be priced less than an S2k. I've heard speculation that the engine comes from the Opel Astra OPC coupe.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 AM

If the Solstice will be made available with a 6-speed and a 250hp turbo for less than the S2000, then Honda better have something up their sleeve to answer with. They better at least make the supercharger an option in the States as well.

Granted, we all know the overall quality and feel won't be the same, but if I end up getting shown up by a less expensive, American made, 2-seat roadster, that looks decent to boot, I'm selling the S and looking elsewhere. Exclusivity is one thing, but we're no longer talking about suped up Neons here and this thing will probably also have the same 6-speed Aisin tranny that the S has.

I mean, the reason a lot of us decided on the S, is because in it's class and for the money, nothing could touch it. It looks like in a year or so, that will no longer be the case.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sbeall, horsepower wars these days means the S isn't the fastest thing for $30k that's for sure, there is always a faster car, who cares.....

Quick Reply: thoughts on the pontiac solstice