Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thoughts and opinions

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Jul 8 2010, 09:43 AM
^ i agree with everything that you said. however, a quick search doesn't show much in the way of sti's that have either not been crashed, or don't have high miles.

also keep in mind that if you could find a low mile sti with BBS and nav, those sold mew for nearly 40k at one point or another.

as for new sti's for 28k, anyone who didn't pull the trigger on that fall/winter of 2008 has likely missed that chance for ever.
Well, I for one would be happy to know that I bought at the low point in Subaru history. Mine came with BBS/NAV for $31288 OTD and 0% for 63 months, but MT residents do not have to pay sales tax. The sticker price was over $40k. I can't imagine someone actually paying that for this car, although I know many people did. IMO, it just isn't worth it considering what else you could buy for that kind of money.

For the OP, when looking at used 08 STI's you need to consider more than accident history and low mileage. I would go so far as to compression test any car you are considering. There are a lot of problems with cracked ringlands in the 08's that are running on the stock tune. They just aren't as stout as the older (06 and earlier) STI's. Something like this could increase the effective cost of your used car considerably.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EP Heart,Jul 8 2010, 11:31 AM
Some of us scored awesome deals on the STI at the end of '08 but that doesn't mean anyone should sell it for less than market value. So, even if someone got it for $28k new and the current market used demands $25k for it, there's no reason they should sell that car for $20k just because they bought it for a lot cheaper.

As luder_5555 said, if you missed that chance, it's gone. We're not going to be making up that difference in price. I sure know that I'm not if/when I sell mine.
I agree with you that there is a market value, just giving the OP some ammunition for lowballing sellers, particularly if he is shopping at dealerships
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Get an '09 WRX hatch. It's faster in a straight line and the money you save can be put into suspension mods + cheap go-fast mods.

Also, keep the S and supercharge it. You'll love it.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, I do recall the '08s going for less than $30k new with that awesome financing a few years back. I wish I had the chance/monetary means in '08.

I have considered a WRX instead but if I were to do that, I would rather wait till '11 when the new wide-body WRXs are available. Oh well, since I can't seem to find a STI to test drive anywhere near me, I'll take this as a sign and wait it out.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Speaking from experience, don't stretch your budget to own 2 cars, especially if they're both nice performance cars. It may not sound like it now, but believe me doubling ownership costs is not fun.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM

I actually own an 06 STI (tastefully modded to 352 WHP) and an 04 S2000 (stock), and I have to say that I am actually regretting getting two performance cars. It is just an overall hassle and I feel like it is a waste, thinking about just selling both to get a new car recently, or selling the S and just putting more miles on my STI (bought new, it only has 30k miles after 4 years).

In the end I would rather have saved up and spent the combined amount on a used Cayman S or M3 or something similar. Unless you have a straight up track car that you will really get the chance to track (not many tracks in MO, haven't even taken the STI to run the 1/4) and a DD, you will probably feel like you are neglecting one car and wasting $$$ overall. Just my 2 cents.

If I like my test drive on Sat. maybe I will PM you with my STI details, as that is in the ballpark of what I would want for mine if I decide to sell it heh
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Get one badass car, and one cheap ass utilitarian car, vs. two good cars. But be sure one is rock solid dependable.
With that said, I'd say don't do it, also because the STIs have that recall thing going on them, I hear it isn't significant but I'd rather not find out the hard way.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz,Jul 8 2010, 08:45 AM
Well, I for one would be happy to know that I bought at the low point in Subaru history. Mine came with BBS/NAV for $31288 OTD and 0% for 63 months, but MT residents do not have to pay sales tax. The sticker price was over $40k. I can't imagine someone actually paying that for this car, although I know many people did. IMO, it just isn't worth it considering what else you could buy for that kind of money.

For the OP, when looking at used 08 STI's you need to consider more than accident history and low mileage. I would go so far as to compression test any car you are considering. There are a lot of problems with cracked ringlands in the 08's that are running on the stock tune. They just aren't as stout as the older (06 and earlier) STI's. Something like this could increase the effective cost of your used car considerably.
I dunno about that. There were cases of cracked ringlands on '07's as well so that statement is kind of false. And the problem isn't as common as you think either. A case of the few with the problems barking loud all over the internet.

I'm in the minority but I don't miss my AP2 one bit when driving my STi ('08, bought at the end of '08 for cheap and 0% financing). The S was a fun car, very fun but if I had to make the decision again today I'd still opt for the STi. It provides more smiles per mile for me. It's faster than the S2k, and a couple of mods to the suspension (sways definitely, and springs if you want to stiffen it up) and it handles like a mofo. AWD grip is incredible, especially in rain or any other inclement weather. I'm enjoying mine so much that I'm keeping it until it won't run any more. And I usually change cars every couple of years. It comes with Brembos from the factory and the stopping power is outstanding.

The STi is a platform built to mod. A few, inexpensive tweaks, here and there, and you can turn the car into a beast. Get on iwsti.com and find someone local to you that owns one so you can try before you buy. Hopefully you can find someone with a Stage 2 version but be warned. Stage 2 in this car is just a tbe and tune (really just a downpipe swap as the stock dp is very restrictive but the cbe isn't) and if you drive one, you'll get sold. It's very fast. You also get something you can't get in any Honda, Torque! Stage 2 cars make more torque than HP.

The stock nav isn't even comparable to aftermarket in dash nav units that cost 1/2 the price of the OEM. And when buying used, I'd rather have a leak down test rather than compression but I'd get both done. Also definitely get one with the BBS wheels option already on it as they are much lighter than the stock 5 spoke rims.

The STi is definitely an all weather car and it was made to mod. Reliable power can be made for very little money. There are very inexpensive dp's, cbe's, etc on the market. You can get Stage 2 done very cheaply if you desire, or spend decent $ on more higher end components. You could also just got out and get $199 lease special and put the S2000 in a storage unit. Good luck.