Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thoughts and opinions

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thoughts and opinions

Hey guys,
its been a while since I've made a thread here so take it easy on me. I just graduated in May and am about to start work in a week. I've been throwing around the idea of getting into a more "practical" vehicle since I won't be living near my parents (They have a truck that I borrowed when I needed to haul something big). I've always been fond of STIs, I love the noise they make and LOVE the way the new hatch looks.

I always figured I was just going to purchase one as my 2nd vehicle upon graduation since my S is paid for. However, my job requires me to relocate every 6 months so I'd rather not deal with the hassle of owning 2 cars during this period. So my dilemma is to wether keep the S, slap on a supercharger (I've been planning on this mod for quite some time) and call it a day. OR, sell the S, hardtop, and wheels for ~$17k and get into an STI. I've seen a few '08 STIs in the $~25k range and I feel like thats more than reasonable for the car.

The thing that stops me from doing the later is the fact that I LOVE the way my S drives, handles, sounds, and feels with the top down. I just know that once I get over the novelty of the STI, I'll want my S back. Maybe I'm being greedy, but I want the best of both worlds, lol. I've read the many comparison threads people have written up about the STI/s2k-->STI/STI--->s2k and I get the fact that these are two completely 2 different animals. I know the STI is no substitute for the S and vice versa, but I figured if I sold my car and bought the STI I'd take that opportunity to upgrade to a CR once I get settled after the first 2 years of the job.

Its late and sorry I've rambled too much, but I'm just looking for thoughts and onions from this community. And just for the record, I've TRIED to test drive an STI for a week. I've been searching within 150 miles of Atlanta for an STI and I've had no luck. Since I'm only throwing this idea around, I don't want to make the commitment to drive 4 hours to test drive an STI.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM

If you can afford the two cars and it's just the hassle that you're worried about, store the S at your parents' house until you're more settled.

Makes more sense than selling it and then buying a CR later.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:02 AM

Get a storage shed and rent it.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the S and buy a standard non performance oriented hatchback and save money. If you love the way the S drives etc then theres no point in buying another perfomance vehicle
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Jul 8 2010, 08:22 AM
If you love the way the S drives etc then theres no point in buying another perfomance vehicle

Don't be ridiculous! You can never have too many performance vehicles!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Jul 8 2010, 09:11 AM

I'd probably have about 10 performance cars if I had the time and space.

The short answer is they are both awesome cars. The STI cannot compare to the S2000 in terms of fun factor, but it is a hell of a lot more practical and still makes you grin. A lot of people bought the base model STI's for under $28k brand new at the end of 2008, so keep this in mind when you are considering paying $25k for a used car.

My advice is have 'em both. If owning two vehicles becomes too impractical, you can sell the S2000 at that time. Being able to switch between the two cars makes you appreciate their differences.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM

^ i agree with everything that you said. however, a quick search doesn't show much in the way of sti's that have either not been crashed, or don't have high miles.

also keep in mind that if you could find a low mile sti with BBS and nav, those sold mew for nearly 40k at one point or another.

as for new sti's for 28k, anyone who didn't pull the trigger on that fall/winter of 2008 has likely missed that chance for ever.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Jul 8 2010, 10:11 AM

The difference in this context here is he is working with a finite amount of money. He wants to give up the performance car he already likes for one he doesnt know about for the sake of practicality. He could buy a non perfomance product which would be considerably cheaper allowing him to have his practicality and keep the aspects of performance he already loves and supercharge the S.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by rwheelz,Jul 8 2010, 09:33 AM
A lot of people bought the base model STI's for under $28k brand new at the end of 2008, so keep this in mind when you are considering paying $25k for a used car.
Some of us scored awesome deals on the STI at the end of '08 but that doesn't mean anyone should sell it for less than market value. So, even if someone got it for $28k new and the current market used demands $25k for it, there's no reason they should sell that car for $20k just because they bought it for a lot cheaper.

As luder_5555 said, if you missed that chance, it's gone. We're not going to be making up that difference in price. I sure know that I'm not if/when I sell mine.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you just want the power, a WRX isn't bad either and is a good amount cheaper

Quick Reply: Thoughts and opinions