Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For those of you with a newborn/infant...

Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Now let's see a pic of it w/ a full-sized baby stroller, diaper bag, a few toys, and a week's worth of groceries!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM

To quote Chris Rock:
"Shit, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ****--g idea!"
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Oct 7 2009, 09:14 PM
To quote Chris Rock:
"Shit, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ****--g idea!"
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people buy more than they need, because people tell them they need all that crap for the little FT (code- last word trophy ).

I have two sons now 10 & 8. My wife drove a coupe when they were younger. I only drove 2 seat sports cars and sport bikes.

We now have a crew cab truck (they hunt with me and we take our karts or road racing motorcycles to the track) a full size sedan for long trips among other cars. But when they were young they didn't need much room regardless what some say.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

Of course you can make do with just about anything with a back seat. I don't think anybody in here is saying that you have to have a huge SUV. All we're saying is that it's amazing how much easier a BIG vehicle makes things.

If you're going to buy a new car with the baby in mind, why not take all things into equasion?

We didn't need the Pilot for our only child, but it sure made life easier.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM

1 child....any mid size sedan will do. A few notes though:

1) rear facing baby seat takes ALOT of room. The person sitting in the front seat in front of the seat will be pushed forward quite a bit....that is, if you don't have the baby seat in the centre of the rear, so that it can poke up between the two front seats.

2) function over form - sure the RECARO stuff is sexy....but the effect wears off quickly. Buy a modular car seat aka - seat, detachable base, stroller system. Its a godsend.

3) if your family (in laws, grandparents etc) don't have anything at their house, will will be haulling ALOT of gear. Toys, strollers, playpens/portable cribs....they take up a lot of space.

4) once two kids come - everything changes. You need something bigger.

I have an STi - which is fine for 1 kid, even 2 kids, if we aren't going anywhere far (not hauling gear). But as soon as we're on a trip for a visit somewhere....we're in this:

Let me tell you.....what an absol-frikking-utely fantastic vehicle it is. As a former s2000/current STi owner, I really enjoy driving the VENZA.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:24 AM

ill add the venza to the list of possibilities...

in terms of suv's, we're looking at the pilot or highlander. in terms of crossovers, we're looking at the outback, xc60. i still like the a4 avant and the 3 series wagon. then there's cars like the crosstour and venza.

it just dawned on me that i will be the one driving this vehicle the majority of the time (with my wife in the back seat with our child). even if we're both up front, i usually end up driving everywhere anyway. so i have to find something i'll be happy with (and practical as well, of course).

-c
Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 AM

Hey, I bought an Infiniti QX56 for my wife. It's fantastic. Plenty of room for the stroller, bags and all 4 of the grandparents. Well not really all 4 since my father is dead and my wife's mother is fat as a house but you get the idea.

Do what makes you happy though. You can find some good deals on used, reliable japanese full size SUVs such as the sequoia, armada, qx56, lx470 and 4runner/pathfinders.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by pup73,Oct 9 2009, 06:24 AM
ill add the venza to the list of possibilities...

in terms of suv's, we're looking at the pilot or highlander. in terms of crossovers, we're looking at the outback, xc60. i still like the a4 avant and the 3 series wagon. then there's cars like the crosstour and venza.

it just dawned on me that i will be the one driving this vehicle the majority of the time (with my wife in the back seat with our child). even if we're both up front, i usually end up driving everywhere anyway. so i have to find something i'll be happy with (and practical as well, of course).

-c
Check out the Forester XT and the CX9 - both are nice driving SUV's.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM

We have an Expedition Eddie Bauer

At first I questioned my wife on why- then about 3 months after buying it I understand

My Dad didnt understand- now he borrows it all the time

Quick Reply: For those of you with a newborn/infant...