Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For those of you with a newborn/infant...

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 5 2009, 01:16 PM
With a kid you need a large car. You may not need to go with a SUV or truck or minivan, but you do need space for the balky stuff - child seat, stroller, playpen, diaper bag, toy bag, etc.

A midsize sedan won't fit a child seat that well, especially if one parent wants to ride in the back with the kid. Station wagons if they are large enough are great, small SUVs for the same loading reasons. A large sedan will give you the room you need, or an SUV if you can't stomach driving a minivan. With one kid, a large sedan or wagon is plenty of room.
What I was going to post.

Think of the things that you'll need on a trip to see the parents. Even with my current SUV, mazda cx9, a lot of stuff gets taken up by the stroller, crib, ect...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 7 people in the odyssey (counting the 2 kids) with room to spare. It all depends on what you need to do with the vehicle. The odyssey is indispensable. Knowing what I know now I would own one regardless of having a kid.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Former Moderator

When my wife was pregnant withour daughter, I bought her an Audi A4 in anticipation. Shortly after she was born, I got rid of the A4 for a Pilot.

It's amazing how much room a child takes up. I know an 8 passenger SUV seems like overkill for one child, but it made life SOOOO much easier.

I wouldn't rule out an SUV just yet, but take into account some things that you normally wouldn't. How easy is it to load/unload the child? How much room is there with the car seat loaded? When the child gets bigger, how much leg room will they have in a forward facing seat? If it's too tight, they'll end up kicking the seats. What would be within reach of their hands/feet? Rear seat vent controls are great, but if a child can reach it with their foot, they're going to kick and break them. How tight is the turning radius? Our Pilot turned tighter than the A4 did. Gas mileage?

I'm amazed with the Pilot and I recommend anyone who needs a practical vehical check them out. We've had 8 people in ours, got over 27mpg on road trip, it was easy to park, durable, drove like a car, had enough space between the seats to put a portable DVD player, could carry and incredible amount of stuff, and held it's value incredibly well.

We've since moved on to an Acura RL and I really miss the utility of the Pilot.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by suvh8r,Oct 7 2009, 09:41 AM
What I was going to post.

Think of the things that you'll need on a trip to see the parents. Even with my current SUV, mazda cx9, a lot of stuff gets taken up by the stroller, crib, ect...
@ your username, owning a CX9!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You make do with what you have. I used to drag my kid around in a 20 year old AE86 with no A/C in NYC traffic. You'll make it work and congrats.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Also get the Recaro baby car seats. We have 2 and they are awesome!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM

That's we have - it's a great and safe seat, but I think the Wifey was also motivated to buy it given my car obsession
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM

i tote around a three year old with a booster seat in my s

the airbag is disabled of course
Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 PM

If planning on having at least 2 kids, might as well get an SUV or minivan already .
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM

MCS with Recaro seat is fine.

Quick Reply: For those of you with a newborn/infant...