Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For those of you with a newborn/infant...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Oct 5 2009, 02:08 PM

Don't be ridiculous.

======

Sounds like pup73 had plenty of input on the vehicle needs for an infant so I'll just congratulate pup73 on the upcoming arrival!

As many have said or indicated, your life will completely change (priorities), but you will realize pretty darn quick (e.g. nanosecond after seeing your own baby for the first time) that you would not have it any other way.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My parents must've defied physics when I was a kid because I had 2 siblings, and my parents managed to fit us into a Nissan Sentra coupe and a Toyota Corona sedan.

I can see how having an SUV might make things "easier", but I don't see an actual need to have anything larger than your Mazda3. At the very least, I'd give it a try, and then if it doesn't work out, you can make the decision to get a larger vehicle at that time.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Most of my family is far away....even with one my Touareg got FILLED...especially for holiday trips carting holiday booty.

On our recent trip to the Delaware shore from Mass...we got a Thule cargo box....awesome.

I think a wagon with a cargo box for the long family trips is optimal.

I saw a MS3 reccomended....I think it would be too tight with even one kid on a overnight trip unless there was the full completment of crib/pak-n-play on the other end. Plus....the rear facing seat kills all front passenger room....knees to dash.

If I was set on a wagon.....I'd go Passat, although that Toyota Venza looks sharp.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HKStallion,Oct 5 2009, 09:23 AM

We are looking to replace it with a Mazda5.
My mom has one....very nice with the seating and sliding doors......just don't like the driving characteristics..hate the A pillar position...my mom hates hers.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have managed just fine with my wife's A6 and my Evo X. My son is 13 months old.

Recaro Signo car seats in both cars fit just fine. (yes, they were affected by the recall, and yes, we have the newer seats)

Interestingly enough, there's more "headroom" through the rear door into my Evo than the Audi. We are increasingly having to "fold" my son to get him into the car seat in the Audi.

The Audi will be 4 years old next spring, and will be out of warranty. My wife wants to get a slightly used 2010 Lexus RX at that point, if we can find one.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll rehash what everyone else is saying. One kid you can get away with a car/wagon. Once you have more than one, you need the space that a minivan/mid-large suv can provide.
?

Sitting here as I write this looking out at the wifes loaner Hyundai Elantra (gee thanks Land Rover dealer for the comparative vehicle) with two kids seats in it and a stroller in the trunk. She has not complained once.

Both kids fit fine in my 911 too, although a rear facing seat requires a small person in the seat ahead of it.

Bigger and better, the American way. Makes you wonder how those European families manage to do without our huge SUV's and vans.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

+1

As I said, we have two kids and our "family vehicle" is a Honda Civic. It's practically the size of the Honda Accord we had before (inside), being only slightly narrower, and we fit a TON of stuff in it without issue. We've done big and small trips in it and have had no issues fitting strollers, luggage, etc, etc, without destroying our comfort.

It's only when you add a fifth person that things get uncomfortable/impossible.

Would we like more room? Sure - it'd be nice. However, for now, the Civic is cheap, relatively roomy with just us four in it, and very economical (I got 42.1 mpg on a 203.5 mile trip on Saturday, with everyone in the car, in heavy rain, with the AC going half the time to keep the windows clear).

"Big" (or "bigger") is nice but it's certainly not needed. Save money, buy small at first, and then upsize only when you have to. You'll save on tires, insurance (usually), fuel, up-front purchase price, and still get something remotely enjoyable to drive.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by steviec,Oct 6 2009, 12:48 PM
Both kids fit fine in my 911 too, although a rear facing seat requires a small person in the seat ahead of it.
I have got to see a picture of this.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

With Porsche specific child seats, there's no reason kids can't fit back there. I haven't seen it done but it's theoretically possible.

Quick Reply: For those of you with a newborn/infant...